Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
Mike,

why not buy a second set of 17's and mount up some "semi" sticky tires for AutoX and track days? We are buying generic 17 inch take-offs out here for under $400. They are all over Craigslist.
Because I don't have that kind of money. Nor do I have any way to get that set of tires to the track. I'd love to, but that's not gonna happen any time soon.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #22

No worries!

We flip the tires/wheels back and forth prior to attending the event. No need to "carry" them with you.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #23

Quote:
No worries!

We flip the tires/wheels back and forth prior to attending the event. No need to "carry" them with you.
Then I guess I would get an all-season for the rest of the year. Hmm. How well do the semi-stickies hold up driving on the highway (Road America is a 3 hour drive each way)? What do you do if it rains?

Anybody know if I change between the stock tire sizes on my '99 Boxster, are the tire diameters the same? In other words, if I go from the 18" wheels and tires to the 17" or 16" wheels and tires (stock tire sizes) will my speedo and odometer by correct?

Last edited by Mike_Yi; 09-03-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #24

Mike,

I was going to recommend a regular DOT sticky tire, not a Hoosier or Kuhmo "DOT" approved tire with 2 straight lines down it and NO hope of shedding water

These are working well for dual purpose driving:

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
Because I don't have that kind of money. Nor do I have any way to get that set of tires to the track. I'd love to, but that's not gonna happen any time soon.
thats too bad.. its a whole new world of fun when you run race slicks on the boxster...

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip_168
thats too bad.. its a whole new world of fun when you run race slicks on the boxster...
Did you do anything to prevent oil starvation?

It's also too bad I can't afford a GT3. But that's the way it is for now.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #27

Oil starvation is a Boxster MYTH. Out of all the engines we have had apart, out of all of the cars I know of on the track racing right now.. the only ONE that has had an oil starvation issue is the ONE engine with the BK extension in place. The location of the Boxster engine (mid-engine) does NOT see the same loads as the 996/997 engine hanging off the ASS of the car slicks or no slicks. Many times I have spoken to Pro racing engineers from Porsche Motorsport/Alex Job.. nobody is seeing a problem. The "myth" started when Porsche had issues at Daytona IN THE BANKING of the track. Ever been to Daytona? You can barely walk up the track in the banking. You'd understand quickly, how you could have issues in a NON dry sump oiling system

B
Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Oil starvation is a Boxster MYTH. Out of all the engines we have had apart, out of all of the cars I know of on the track racing right now.. the only ONE that has had an oil starvation issue is the ONE engine with the BK extension in place. The location of the Boxster engine (mid-engine) does NOT see the same loads as the 996/997 engine hanging off the ASS of the car slicks or no slicks. Many times I have spoken to Pro racing engineers from Porsche Motorsport/Alex Job.. nobody is seeing a problem. The "myth" started when Porsche had issues at Daytona IN THE BANKING of the track. Ever been to Daytona? You can barely walk up the track in the banking. You'd understand quickly, how you could have issues in a NON dry sump oiling system

B
That's great to know. Unfortunately, it's a myth that is perpetuated by Porsche as it is in the owner's manual. That's where I heard about it at least.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #29

I call it CYA. If they warn you about it, then they don't have to warranty the car if you track it.

B
Old 09-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #30

I'm gonna replace all 4 tires with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. The DE event is in two weeks and I've got a TON of stuff to do to get the car and me ready. I'm really looking forward to it, though I wish it didn't cost so damn much. I'm going to go with a set of 17" wheels for snow tires for now. I was going to pick up 16" wheels, but I figure if I do decide to go with the race tires down the road, the 17" rims are better suited than the 16"s.

I wish there was a list of all the stuff you needed to do before attending your first DE and stuff to bring with you to the event. I've seen people talk about it, but they go from very minimal, to ridiculous.