Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #1

Sourcing Lower Control Arms

Grrr. Vertex auto is back ordered on rebuilt lower control arms... they've got plenty of used arms and no new ball joints to go inside said arms.

I do not want to buy new Porsche control arms through Sunset because the ball joints are crap and wear out too fast.

There's an eBay seller that is selling heavy duty ones that are probably rebuilit that are $240 each (Deutsche Parts)

Anyone know of a source for rebuilt (not salvage) control arms that beats this price?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #2

I'm concerned with "why" you are wearing them out so quickly? I have been pulling apart Boxsters for Spec builds with 120k on them and the stock arms are fine (I can tell when they have been replaced in the past)

Their price is smoking.. my wholesale on them is $270 a piece (when we can get them) I didn't put forth a lot of effort in locating better pricing.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #3

Brad, that's a good question... if you search this and other forums (such as renntech), you will find that 986-996's develop squeaky/creaky lower control arms and worn bushings on other suspension parts as well (tracking arms).

My car was totally abused by at least one previous owner. Driven very hard, never maintained, and probably wrecked more than once. This may be the cause of my particular problem.

My mechanic says my worn bushings are not surprising to him. He replaces a LOT of lower control arms on aging 986's and 996's both at the dealership where he works all day and evenings and weekends with his moonlighting work. I asked how often and he a said, "at least once or twice a week."

And yes, those suckers are expensive! Sunset sells them for $275.44 each , which is a good deal. My local stealership wants $600.00, which is hundreds OVER retail.

I'd rather pay the same amount for non OEM ones with something better than that black rubber Porsche uses that wears out so fast.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #4

I see you are in Houston. This *probably* explains a lot! High humidity compared to CA. I watch/talk/listen to Porsche techs all up and down the coast of CA. Daily I talk with shops (and work with them) The NorCal Santa Cruz/coastal cars seem to have similar issues, but that area is in NO way as big as Houston is.

Be careful. TRW sells an arm and Porsche sells an arm. I know of at least one aftermarket company who has deisgned different replacement arms for the Boxster's and 996's. Testing has not started, but the arms are done!!

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote