Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #1

Funky Headlight problem - help?

I have a '99 boxster, standard issue. Having a problem with the driver side headlight. The regular headlight works but, the fog light, parking light, and high beams do not work on the driver side. Instead of heading to the shop I checked and replaced all the bulbs. H7's and the w5w. No effect. Anyone seen an issue like this or, am I heading to the shop for an electrical issue? I wonder if it might be the socket connection between the headlight 'capsule' and the car. Hmmm. Thought I would ask.
thanks.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #2

Remove the headlight and look at the back. You will see a 7 pin electrical connector. Make sure the pins are straight and clean.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #3

While the headlght is out look at the mating female connector on the black plastic bracket that the headlight slides into before you lock it in place.

Push on that connector and make sure it does not move.

This is the most common reason for all bulbs not lighting up if the fuses are good.

Might check your fuses first, as there is a separate fuse for high and low beam.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #4

checked pins

I checked the seven pins and they are clean and straight. I'll go back and check the socket for movement and the check the fuses. I didn't realize the fuses were separate in function. However, would a blown fuse effect the driver side headlight and not the passenger side headlight? Passenger side works Ok.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #5

problem solved, not resolved

The problem is probably solved but not cured. It looks as thought the headlight pins will not connect fully to the female socket because it is indeed flexing. It's flexing a lot because half of the plastic wall/arm structure that holds the female socket in place is broken off. There is no way to push the two connections together by hand since you can't get at them in any way. (Although I admit I thought about trying to push the connection together with a metal rod through the small hole behind the side marker). Sooo, looks like I will need to replace the plastic 'sled' which the headlight capsule slides on. This part holds the female socket in place with an arm. I'll bet that will do the trick. I may just order the part and not go to the shop.

Thanks for the help in diagnosis, Toolpants.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #6

You already figured out how to get it going.

You need 2 people.

Remove the headlight and side marker. Then you can see what is going on.

First person sticks a long tool, like a big long screwdriver, through the sidemarker hole. First person pushes against the back of the female plug with a tool so it does not move while you slide in the headlight.

Second person slides in the headlight while the female plug is is prevented from moving away by the first person pushing in the headlight.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 AM   #7

Bingo, that will do the trick. Thanks.