Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #1

When is it TOO hot for the top down?

So at lunch today a co worker and I go out to get a bite. He wanted me to put the top down and I said it was kinda too hot out. He laughed and said "why have a convertible then?" He had a point. But it was 90 and humid... it's going to be for several days. I don't mind as much after work... then I dont car if I sweat etc.
Do any of you guys not put the top down for this reason, or am I weird?

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #2

I live in Houston where it's friggin' hot and humid a vast majority of the year. We call this place "sauna city" (a parody of "space city" = NASA's presence).

I only drop the top before 10 am and after 7 pm from April through September. In fact, I'm seriously considering buying a Cayman S next time around for this very reason.

If it's not too hot, the humidity is stifling so the top stays up and the AC on full blast. And the AC stays on full blast with the top down here most of the time too.

The point of having a convertible is being able to drop the top when the weather is nice and leave it up when it's too cold, too hot, or too humid, or too wet to enjoy driving topless. Having this option is what makes a convertible wonderful.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #3

What bmx? it's gorgeous out, about as good of a 90 degree day you can find in Chicago. Drop it, your firend is right what is the point otherwise? Granted you will probably find a bunch that will say it's too hot on this site.

I find that people that own convertibles are often waiting for the perfect day to drop the top, people that aren't lucky enough to have one would drop it on any day.

I will say if drove past me today top up I would shake my head and say why did you buy the boxster then for? It's like visiting Florida, 1 million convertibles that shoud have been hard tops
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #4

As long as I'm moving, I don't mind having the top down when its 90. But if I'm at a traffic light with the sun glaring at me, I start to get hot...

Thats what I really liked about my previous s2000. It had a special setting on the climate control vent knob thingy that used "specially placed" vents to keep whatever temp air inside the car when the top was down. It legitimate worked. I remember blasting down I-95 on a February night in new york going 95 mph with the top down feeling very toasty .

Porsche should look into doing something like that. The vent on the s2000 was were the batwing is on the boxster and, as stated, worked beautifully.

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
EE3racing

I think traffic plays a huge part, if I'm moving and getting air then I don't mind the heat & humidity as much. Summer in NY ends way too quickly so it's not as tough to enjoy extreme heat for a few weeks.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #6

It's ironic, I actually had the heat on this morning! I drove in with the top down today.

I agree, when I'm on the highway in the afternoons (which I will be in 1 1/2 hours) I'll have it down. But yeah, 30mph around work/lunch... gets kinda hot.

But, it has been the BEST summer so far in the Chicago area , as far as heat, or lack thereof.
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
FTD

If its not raining, the top is down - even if the AC is blasting. I figure I would be blasting the AC anyway, so what the hey. It can get kinda brutal, but I love having a convertible so much I do it anyway.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #8

I live in Vancouver Canada, so I pretty much have the top down whenever it is not raining. Even when it is cold out I would have the heat on full blast, a big jacket and the top down. I haven't used my top in over 4 weeks and I couldn't be any happier.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I normally keep the top up until I feel like going topless, which happens about every other day. I just get annoyed because why should drop the top, so I can put it up again when I arrive at wherever I am going in a few minutes.

My criteria for dropping the top is the angle of the sun (will it be right in my eyes the whole time), and am I going to be driving on the freeway or by any dusty construction sites.
So to answer you question I don't thinks it weird to leave the top up.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #10

I agree with the traffic, usually if I am not going to be stuck in traffic I put the top down, but its 96 degrees here in Louisiana humidity if I was leaving the office I would probably put the top up.

Its not uncommon for me to put the top down and leave it down for a few days, normally over the weekends, top goes down and not back up until Monday morning rush hour.

I say go topless whenever possible, the question is:
Who lowers the top and puts the windows up??

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
In my experience women tend to leave the windows up more often than men.
Personally, if the top goes down, the windows have to go down as well. You just can't do it any other way.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #12

I usually have the top down between 55 and 90 degrees. The combination of a hoodie in winter, heater, windows up, and of course lack of rain, make this range possible for me on the low end...
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I hear ya, bmx. It is pretty hot today and will be for a few days. Direct sunlight+80s+black leather means I'll be sweating while I'm driving and I don't like that. I'll have the AC on with the top down until about 88-90 degrees then the top goes back up.

I'm a real wuss when it comes to hot weather. I definitely prefer the cold.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #14

Good question. I have had convertibles since 1999. The novelty has worn off. I love top down driving but A/C is a must anytime it is 85 86 up. If it is not that humid, fine. Humid and hot, no way. I deserve a little A/C sometimes!!

I do see alot of people driving with the top down in undesirable conditions. Too cold, about to rain, too hot. I believe them to be "new" convertible owners trying to justify buying one. Just a thought.

The only exception to my rule is when I am at the beach... most of the time top is down unless raining!!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #15

Top is down unless it is raining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
So at lunch today a co worker and I go out to get a bite. He wanted me to put the top down and I said it was kinda too hot out. He laughed and said "why have a convertible then?" He had a point. But it was 90 and humid... it's going to be for several days. I don't mind as much after work... then I dont car if I sweat etc.
Do any of you guys not put the top down for this reason, or am I weird?

I keep the top down from May to November unless it is raining or snowing. Garaged the rest of the time. Heated seats for the cooler days.
airboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #16

Hard top comes off in October and March -and maybe a handful of weekends in between. The rest of the time, it stays on. I don't like convertibles (unless they're retractable hardtops).
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #17

For me its really humidity and speed dependent. If I am going below 40mph and the humidity is over 80% then its hard to enjoy top down when the temps are over 85F. Go faster, cooler or drier and its top and windows down.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #18

top down with the windows up? You bet, it's great! I bought a set of Jay Senoff's roll bar vent fillers and they're great, too. It takes a while to get it just right but I use the vents set to blowing out at my feet and the dash together. If I have to stop, I just hit the max AC button. At low speeds I drop the windows, but at anything above 60, the windows go up and it stays rather comfortable in the car during these 95 degree Florida afternoons, with the blower set about the middle.
My main problem with the windows down is wind noise. When I was young those race engines screaming right behind my head sounded really great inside that helmet. Ear plugs? They were for pussies and old guys.........then add to that going on 40 years of working in shops full of loud machines and people beating on metal. I can't take all that noise when I don't have to have it now days. When there is background noise, like in a noisy resturant, I can't hear much anymore. It all just runs together.
Wouldn't change a minute of it!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #19

My temp range is 60 - 85. I don't drive with my windows up but I've been known to do my part to halt global warming. If my date wants her window up but is OK with having the top down, I don't argue.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #20
bmussatti

I've driven hundreds of miles with the top down, heater cranked, windows up and a knit hat on when it is in the high 30's and low 40's. No problem, very comfortable.

I remember coming back from a Concours at the Joliet Autobahn a couple years ago with the top down and it was in the mid 90's. That was smoking hot!

So my top down range is 37-94!!!