Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 05:46 AM   #1

Cops Slap Speeders With Fuel Surcharge

Thought this was interesting :

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/cops-slap-speeders-with-fuel-surcharge/20080618072709990001?icid=100214839x1204226878x120 0181698

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #2

They used to call working in govt PUBLIC SERVICE>

It really is public fleecing.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #3

The speeding part and what the airlines are doing with baggage catches everyones attention.

It says any moving violation. So if you do not stop all the way at a stop sign or did not use your turn signals, you pay the fuel surcharge for a police cruiser to hunt you down.

Just another way to get money and get the citizen sheep to put up with it.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #4

You have 3 choices...

It seems to me.

1. Less enforcement

2. Have taxes go up on the general public to pay for the rise in fuel costs

3. Pass the added costs of fuel on to the violator

#3 seems reasonable and preferable to me.

In an environment where school lunch prices are going up because of the costs of food/fuel , this hardly seems so bad.

I'm for accountability.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #5

4. selective enforcement - surcharge for multi-ton POS's ("S"UV, 10 ft tall truck, minivan) exceeding speed limit.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:36 AM   #6

#5 - use fuel efficient cars for police cruisers.
Every car the police use to patrol with does not have to be a chase class car or have the room to arrest 3 people and haul their asses downtown. Every car the Jacksonville police use is a full size with a police interceptor V8, or worse, a damned SUV! What the hell are the police doing using unmarked luxury gas-guzzler SUVs to patrol with? Then they whine about gas costs and budgets?
The higher performance version of a Focus, with lightbars inside the top of the windshield and rear window is all they need to patrol city streets.
They can doze off, sitting under an overpass, just as well in the Focus!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #7

Holly Springs should require traffic enforcement officers to use public transportation, or equip them with bicycles....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #8

Well, I guess before that reach CA. I need to remove my windshield decal
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
Well, I guess before that reach CA. I need to remove my windshield decal
thats hilarious!!!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #10

One of my old competitors in Formula Ford pulled with an E250 Ford van with one of those huge plexiglas bug deflectors across the leading edge of the hood. In full sized reversed die-cut letters it said SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT.
He said he'd get so close to people who wouldn't move over, he could see them moving their head to read the entire message!
Old 06-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #11

Here in GA, our government education may really suck when it comes to teaching anything of worth like economics so they understand why their gas costs are hig, but they do still teach the government types how to extort every penny out of you they can.

In the newly incorporated cities they are really sticking it to you in order to fill their coffers. A friend of mine got a ticket in Sandy Springs, GA for speeding (15-19 over) and it was $750 and he could not leave the courtroom until it was paid!! He was pretty ticked since several others in the courtroom were driving without a license, given only a $150 fine and when they didn't have the money with them they were allowed to leave and come back.

Hmmm, I wonder what's more dangerous, an untrained, unlicensed driver or someone going a little fast?

Speeding is just the easiest way for the government to steal easy money so protect yourselves out there.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top

Last edited by deliriousga; 06-21-2008 at 03:40 PM.
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
It seems to me.
1. Less enforcement
2. Have taxes go up on the general public to pay for the rise in fuel costs
3. Pass the added costs of fuel on to the violator
I'm for accountability.
Accountability is one thing, theft is another.

Option #4: Stop wasting money everywhere else and actually serve the people!

Ok, the cop will go 1-3 miles on average to catch a speeder. His car gets 9 miles to the gallon just to have a ridiculously low example. He just used $1.33 MAX in gas....but that's not all. Two years ago they already paid $2/gallon for his gas so the cost to him was already $.67 for the same stop. So in total, they have an increased cost of $.67 and they charge you $12.00!! And they say the oil companies are making outrageous profits???

Oh, and don't forget they already raped me when I went to the store (sales tax), when I bought gasoline(fed and state tax), when I got my tag this year and paid $45 "tag tax" for the same tag that was on my car the last 4 years plus the annual advelorem, when I went to work yesterday (income tax), when I talked on my phone (exise taxes), when I flushed the toilet (environmental tax), when I paid my mortgage (property tax), etc., etc., etc......to pay for "services".

Even the few friends I have who are officers say speeding is just a cash cow. They don't like doing it unless you are speeding excessively (30+ over), but whatever the boss says goes.

Btw, comparing this cost to a freebie program like school lunches is not a good analogy. It's impossible for me to make my kid a complete, hot lunch (much less take them somewhere) for just $2.50. The kids who can't afford it pay nothing and their parents aren't held accountable for their well being. If the accountability argument is going to be used, it needs to be applied to all comparisons.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #13

If you were to keep a log of all of the taxes that you pay each day it would make you quite ill.

The income and sales taxes are obvious, as is the state income tax.

Then there is the tax on gas, state, fed and local.

Then ther are the taxes burried in your bills like phone, gas and electric. Here in CA, we subsidize the electric and gas bills of our poorer brethern too.

Then, there are the taxes on your hotel and plane tix. Rental cars ditto.

Then, there are the corporate taxes paid before a company can pay a dividend, which is also taxed to you when you receive it.

Oh, yeah, the sales tax on your coffin and the estate tax is the final kick in the groin.

PS-while the state says the reg fee and license fee are fees, we know that they are taxes.

Who feels a bit lighter right now? That is because your wallet is empty.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #14

Garage
Deliriousga,

You know of course that according to the formula you use, that if the cops are charging a $12 gas surcharge, to get your $12 worth you should be able to speed an extra 54 miles before pulling over. Food for thought .

Quickurt & Blkboxster,

Those "Get out of the right lane you A hole" window stickers should be mandatory here in OK. I swear people here must be taught in Drivers Ed that you can drive in right lane you no matter how fast you drive or how many people are behind you wanting to pass "legally" and not on the left.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 06-21-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #15

Gotta love the society we live in. Your tax dollars at work, right?
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:20 AM   #16

Here in Florida we have an annual corporate report. You'll love this. Like the state doesn't know, from all the other taxes each corporation must pay, as well as all the tax reports we must fill out and send in every quarter. No,oooooo. We have to fill out and send in a 3x5 card, telling the state we are still a corporation in the state of Florida. Of course, this "notice" must be accompanied by a check for $150.
They got tired of having to pay clerks to throw the 3x5 cards in the trash and deposit the check, and of course pay to have the trash hauled away, so now you are required to file online and make an electronic transfer for the fee. Failure to do this before May 15th results in a $300 fine!
The thing that gripes me most about speeding tickets (road use tax) is the insurance companies are also in on the take. A driver who drives a reasonable amount over the limit and has a clean accident record is NOT a higher risk. In fact, the truly dangerous drivers are those who drive under the speed limit, with their cell phones to their ear and their heads up their ass and believe, because they are not speeding, they really don't need to pay that much attention to what they are doing.
If the police would use unmarked cars and drive around, nailing the crap out of all the people doing all the stupid, dangerous stuff on the roads, I'd stop every now and then and give them donations. Speeding is just the easiest, mechanized way to steal from honest people. Stopping people doing dangerous stuff and having to go to court and convince the judge that this person really is dangerous is too much time and trouble. It is also a far too non-profitable use of that tax dollar investment they have in the police department.

I'm done.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #17

90% of highway accidents would go away if drivers would drive in the right lane, pass in the left lane and use turn signals. It's more fun to write speeding tickets though. Evil speeders. Other than the fact the 70-80 of people speed. So if 70-80% of the people think going 5-10 mph over is safe and reasonable, then who keeps making these ridiculously low speed limits? It's our lovely state and federal government which we supposedly elect. Go figure.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #18

I love the west.
In Arizona and many other western states, the speed limit is 75 and far fewer people speed. Hm. Let me see if I understand this. Make the speed limit reasonable and people will pay attention to it?
Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #19

Reasonable, yes. Revenue enhancer, no!

Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
One of my old competitors in Formula Ford pulled with an E250 Ford van with one of those huge plexiglas bug deflectors across the leading edge of the hood. In full sized reversed die-cut letters it said SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT.
He said he'd get so close to people who wouldn't move over, he could see them moving their head to read the entire message!
Big mistake.. You assumed they can read!