Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #1

Exclamation Please help! Wheel issue.

I fully understand these problems are posted about constantly. But my car is at a tire shop. tires mounted to wheels, wheels mounted to car and very much rubbing.

So i fully understand i was a idiot for not checking to make sure the wheels i bought off ebay would fit my car before i bought them, or before i mounted them. i underestimated that porsche would make a couple of different wheels sizes that look exactly the same! in style. (2002 box s had these 5 spokers as an option i think)

In any case i have wheels that dont fit and i need spacers to make them fit. But from reading on this forum and others it is very unclear as to exactly what size spacers i need, and even when i find something i am willing to believe i cannot seem to find a place to purchase them from! HELP i need my car out of that garage as quickly as possible.

i have a 2001 boxster s. The wheels cam off a 996 C4s. 18x10" rears are the issue.

To recap, what size spacers do i need? And who/where in the hay bales can i find some to buy? i dont need the worlds nicest stuff just something that fits.

Jackelfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:27 AM   #2

well, you do want nice stuff in the way of spacers, otherwise you could easily get vibrations from bad balance.

What is the offset on the rims (it'll say on the rim right after the width)?

Then you can either calculate it yourself using Mike Focke's explanation and link (http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/willthosewheelsyouwantfit%3F), or call wheelenhancement.com for assistance.

For the spacers.... again try wheelenhancement or:

allsprings.com
autoanything.com
boothedesign.com

Prices will vary greatly, but definitely get hubcentric spacers and the longer wheel bolts needed.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:05 AM   #3

If those wheels came off a C4S they are likely 18x11 and thus will not fit- with or without spacers. Ideally you want 10" wide with an offset around 45mm. Most 996 rears are 10" ET65, so you would need a 20mm spacer. If you go this route, be aware that it does increase stress on the hub assembly, and always use a hubcentric spacer and longer bolts as needed.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #4

i guess i misread the info. The wheels are from a C4 not a C4s.
Jackelfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:57 AM   #5

Jaklefox
sorry I couldn't sell you the 18s off my car.
I've been looking at a bunch of stuff and the above info looks correct on the spacers. The carreras take et 65 wheels and the Boxster takes et 42 in the rear.
I'd try wheel enhancement for the 20mm spacers. They are fairly expensive, but are known for top quality and OEM stuff.
As long as the wheels are 18x10, they should work fine and the longer studs should be no problem. They won't aactually put more stress on the hubs, because the center of the wheel will be back where it belongs. There will be some additional stress on the longer bolts, but the hub-centric spacers will mitigate that.