Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Got my first check engine light

Driving home tonight I got my first check engine light. My reader gave me a diagnostic code P1130 and the Bentley manual defines that as:

Oxygen sensing, area 2 cylinders 4 - 6 | Short to B+ / above upper limit / rich mixture threshold.

Can someone help me decipher that? Does it just mean that one of my O2 sensors have gone bad?

Thanks,

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I think this code is commonly followed with P1128.

Use the 'search' feature. You'll know where to start then.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #3

So from the other post it sounds like it could either be a bad O2 sensor, vacuum leak, or a bad MAF sensor. Sounds like it will be fun trying to get to the bottom of it. Right now the only code I'm getting is the P1130 (states that it's 1 of 1 errors). Not the P1128 or any other code.

1. So what exactly does it mean when you're running rich? What kind of issues will you have with your car if it runs rich for too long?

2. Should I be worried about driving it through the weekend before I can get it in the shop?

3. Who has the best prices on O2 sensors?

4. Would this be a good time to install those new ebay headers that I got? I think it would require deleting the first set of cats and possibly the first set of O2 sensors? Eliminating the need to buy two new O2 sensors.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest

Last edited by TimAustinW; 06-14-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAustinW
So from the other post it sounds like it could either be a bad O2 sensor, vacuum leak, or a bad MAF sensor. Sounds like it will be fun trying to get to the bottom of it. Right now the only code I'm getting is the P1130 (states that it's 1 of 1 errors). Not the P1128 or any other code.

1. So what exactly does it mean when you're running rich? What kind of issues will you have with your car if it runs rich for too long?

2. Should I be worried about driving it through the weekend before I can get it in the shop?

3. Who has the best prices on O2 sensors?

4. Would this be a good time to install those new ebay headers that I got? I think it would require deleting the first set of cats and possibly the first set of O2 sensors? Eliminating the need to buy two new O2 sensors.
Let's start with your problem, which is most likely NOT an O2 sensor failure, but an issue upsteam causing the O2 sensor to read out of range. Common source is a MAF issue, but you really need to get the car hooked up to a diagnostic system that can read the actual data (called a PID log). Stay away from "parts swapping" as the O2 sensors are anything but cheap, and changing them when it isn't required is a waste of time and money. If you don't have the capability your self, take it to someone that has both the tools and knowhow to work on Porsches....................
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #5

It's going in on Monday. I should probably avoid driving it this weekend. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #6

Tim, the issue may be a bad MAF that's throwing an O2 sensor. Or it's one of your oxygen sensors. The computer gets quite confused sometimes.

If you have not changed your oxygen sensors, you may want to do them all if you find out it's an oxygen sensor and not the MAF. You can buy Bosch replacements from www.oxygensensors.com for $110 each or so and install them yourself in a half hour. Really!

You'll love the better fuel economy, steady idle, and better performance that a complete new set of sensors provide. Do not replace just one... the higher sensitivity of the new one will throw codes on the others sooner than later.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #7

Tim,

I got an 1123 and 1125 last year :

Dude, I cleaned my MAF !

Which indicates I was running lean in Area 1

Your 1130 indicates you are running rich in Area 2 :

(CEL) Codes

Do let us know the diagnosis ( MAF / O2 / Other ? )

Anyone know the difference between Area 1 & Area 2 ?

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote