Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #1

Tie Down/Strap Down points to trailer a Boxster

Does anyone have any instructions on on the tie down points for a Boxster?
Apparently I will be bring my car to the shop tomorrow to get the Coolant Leak checked out, and my boss said I could use his F350 and Trailer that he used to transport his cars with. So I figured I would save myself $80 and just trailer it to the shop myself. Can anyone give me the tie down/strap down points for a Boxster?

"Its Craptacular" - Bart Simpson 1997
joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #2

Owners manual has flat bed towing instructions. They want you to strap through each of the 4 wheels - pulling the rear 2 back and the front 2 forward. They warn you to be careful that no metal parts get near the wheels when you feed the ends through the wheels.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #3

I REALLY don't recommend using straps on the wheels unless you have the webbing kind that go over the top of the wheel/tire, sort of a splayed out webbing - forgot what they are called.

The recommended points are on the bottom of the car, along the edge, just behind the front wheels and ahead of the rear wheels (they are also the jack points). You'll find welded plates there with holes in them. Use t-hooks and strap the car down that way - it's the best way, with no pressure on the suspension - it's all frame.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:00 AM   #4

hey Todd, I've been wondering about this too. Thanks for the advice. does this cinch down the car too? So that you don't get any up/down motion? I would think that you would want to compress the suspension some while towing, because, when towing the car, the shocks on the boxster still see wear but if you cinch it down, and you are able to strap the car down tight enough that it actually pulls the car down some, the shocks will get no wear.

next question. I have your same shocks, what spring rates are you running? what canister pressures? what front/rear Comp/reb settings? do you autox at all? or just track? (you can PM me if you prefer).

I have 9.5" wheels all around, 255s up front, 265s out back. custom sways front and rear. I do autox the car a lot, have yet to be on a track. but I will soon. I have to play with the toe some more out back to get the car a little more settled, its a lil tail happy still.

Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote