Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 06:01 AM   #1

2003 Boxster S - prevent IMS failure?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I've bought myself a 2003 boxster S with 35000 miles. Looks good, drives like dream.

I'm however getting a bit uncomfortable reading a lot of stories about broken engines. Since i bought the car private: no guarantee.

My impression is that the engine block problems occured with 1996- 1999 cars (Boxster 2.5 and 996 3.4). RMS (rear main seal) and IMS (intermediate shaft) issues seem to continue however and it would't be the first '03 with IMS.

The car has a slight leakage from the clutch housing, probably RMS. It wouldn't bother me to continue driving it, maybe the RMS repair could be postponed and done together with the clutch (round 50.000 miles).

Now to the point of my post: maybe the oil doesn't come from the RMS but is coming from the IMS rear seal. I'm getting worried that in that case IMS failure is on its way. So i'm thinking of asking the shop to pull the gearbox. In that process, RMS and IMS rear seals would be changed. Can enything further be done to diminish or prevent IMS failure, i mean fitting a newer version of the IMS or IMS bearing?

Thanks for your opinions
Bye, Jan

Old 06-08-2008, 06:42 AM   #2
bmussatti

I think IMS= intermediate shaft...not a seal.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
All Boxster's are prone to RMS and IMS failures, but they tend to be more common in earlier years. Also know that once you get past 35-40K miles your chance of having one of these problems decreases but that is not to say it can't happen.

If your seeing oil leakage, a tell tale sign of an RMS problem, I would not try to postpone fixing it. Your risking a pricey engine replacement vs. a $600 US seal replacement.

Also, IMS has nothing to do with a seal. The only warning for this, is if you hear a faint sound that sounds like a coin bouncing around in the engine compartment. If your really concerned with IMS, there was a company a while back in the UK that was selling modified intermediate shafts, that they claimed were failure proof. I can't recall the website, but someone posted it a few months ago. I'll look for it.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #4

Jan, the leak is more than likely coming from the rear main seal. I don't think the intermediate shaft even has a seal that could leak. As far as preventing IMS failures I know of none. IMS failure is far less prevalent than RMS leaks. Just enjoy the car and try not to worry about it. The chances of you wrecking your vehicle are probably greater than that of it suffering an engine failure.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #5

The flange for the intermediate shaft has a seal that can leak.

The original has a single black o-ring - the one on the left. Then Porsche changed the design to an orange seal with several sealing ribs (I think 4). This was about 4 years ago, maybe longer.

To get the updated seal you also need to replace the flange.

The clutch on my 1997 with 67,000 miles was replaced last with. I had all original seals. There was a slight seepage from the back of the engine. So I went with the newest reseal. New case bolts, new RMS, and new flange.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #6

Hi,

Thanks for the fast answers!

Rick: the company you're referring to is autofarm. They adapt the more recent IMS (with larger bearing) so that it fits older engines. At the moment it's not clear to me if my engine already has the newer IMS or not. I gues not because i have seen many 2003 boxster IMs failure stories on the internet...
I agree that changing a seal can't prevent a bearing form failing, however i have also read tha IMS failure (sometimes or always?) happens because the 3 bolts of the flange fail, causing the bearing to 'fall' out of the engine and the IMS to create havoc in the engine... Since my boxster has a leak, i am getting scared it might not be the RMS but the beginning of the IMS bearing popping out...

Adam: we have almost the same car: mine is a red 2003 6-speed 3.2S with black interior. It is on standard 17" rims altough. Here in europe the colour is called indian red instead of guards red. You have a point in that the chances are low that the engine might break. On the other hand the car would give me greater joy without thinking about a 12.000 $ repair every time i floor the right pedal

Tool pants: thanks for the description and the pictures. Very informative.

Thanks to all of you

Jan
Old 06-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #7

It is not the 3 bolts for flange that fail, it is the nut in the middle of the flange for the bearing support.

The bottom green line is the nut that has broken away from the middle of the flange. Once this happens there is a hole in the middle of the flange and oil pours out.

Hate to tell you, since you have a 2003. The picture is a 2003 2.7 and I took it almost 5 years ago when the 2003s first came out.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 06-12-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan67
Hi,

Adam: we have almost the same car: mine is a red 2003 6-speed 3.2S with black interior. It is on standard 17" rims altough. Here in europe the colour is called indian red instead of guards red. You have a point in that the chances are low that the engine might break. On the other hand the car would give me greater joy without thinking about a 12.000 $ repair every time i floor the right pedal

Thanks to all of you

Jan
If you need more piece of mind how about getting an aftermarket warranty? I have warranty up to 2010 or 70k miles so if she blows she blows. Also, I drive mine hard all the time and it's been over-revved a couple times on accident. The needle has probably hit the limiter hundreds of times mostly when I autocross the car. Nothing has broken yet. Most of the stories I hear on engine failures are low mileage cars that have been babied so don't feel bad about putting your foot on the gas.....you're not hurting it as long as the engine is properly warmed up. This engine has been extremely reliable and able to handle everything I've thrown at it so far. Remember, for every person that reports an engine failure on a forum, there are thousands out there just happily motoring along with a healthy car.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #9

My editorial comments.

Porsche makes the car. German engineering and all that stuff. Porsche sells a product that has known issues, which have never been been admitted. I expect as a consumer that a properly maintained engine to last 100,000 if not more miles before major work need to be done.

If you have an intermediate shaft failure then 99.9% chance you need a replacement engine. For your peace of mind you buy a warranty. I have a problem with that. The design problems with the M96 engine is Porsche. Porsche should stand behind their product. The risk of engine damage because of a know problem should not be borne by the consumer via paying for a warranty to cover Porsche's problem.

I heard on the news Mazda has a problem with the RX8 rotary engines. Mazda extended the warranties to 8 years or 100.000 miles or something like that. Owners who paid out of their pocket to fix or replace the engine are going to be reimbursed.

Go on one of the UK message boards. In the UK the factory warranty is only 2 years. There was a time when aftermarket warranty companies would not touch a Boxster. Then Porsche stepped in and started selling it's own warranty. So now you pay Porsche for the car and for the warranty.

From cradle to grave. No wonder the company makes so much money.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I didn't know there was seal on the IMS. If the IMS seal does leak, can that cause an engine failure?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #11

Hi,

I know about the porsche extended warranty. Since this is second car for me, i will drive it probably 2000 - 3000 miles à year. Porsche charges 2.370$ for a years extended warranty. I find that too expensive for the use i make of the car. The options i'm looking at now:
- just drive it, see what happens try to gain confidence and try to sleep at night
- try to take some preventive mechanical action, like fitting newer improved RMS and IMS bearing.
- sell the car and buy a BMW

At the moment i'm into the second option

Furthermore i agree on Tool pants comments. It's a pity. If this thing grows much bigger on the internet, Porsche is going to get its reputation damaged. I was planning on driving the 986 for 3 years and then move on to a 987. If i end up with major damage on this 986, my money will be going to BMW or Audi in the future.

Greetz,
Jan
Old 06-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #12

Here is the flange on my 1997. Since my car is so old I have the old style. I stuck a pick under the o-ring so you could see it better. You see a second much smaller o-ring - that goes behind the hole in the middle of the flange where the bolts is.

The seal for the intermediate shaft cannot leak fast enough to damage your engine. It just slowly seeps or drips. But when the bolt breaks off you have a hole in the back of your engine below the engine oil level, and sometimes the oil immediately dumps on the ground. Your engine then sounds like marbles in a can because the intermediate shaft is getting whipped around inside the motor. Then your engine dies and the check engine light comes on.

BTY to replace the bearing the engine is removed and taken apart. You cannot do it from the outside.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 06-12-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #13

Have you checked out a BMW forum? I think there are posts about engine failures with those car too. Particulary the M models.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
If you need more piece of mind how about getting an aftermarket warranty? I have warranty up to 2010 or 70k miles so if she blows she blows. Also, I drive mine hard all the time and it's been over-revved a couple times on accident. The needle has probably hit the limiter hundreds of times mostly when I autocross the car. Nothing has broken yet. Most of the stories I hear on engine failures are low mileage cars that have been babied so don't feel bad about putting your foot on the gas.....you're not hurting it as long as the engine is properly warmed up. This engine has been extremely reliable and able to handle everything I've thrown at it so far. Remember, for every person that reports an engine failure on a forum, there are thousands out there just happily motoring along with a healthy car.
Right with you, that's my recommendation, too. Get an aftermarket warranty, and drive it hard without reservations. I don't recommend over-revving it, as the ECU keeps track of such events and it may come to haunt you if you have to make a claim for major engine mechanical failures.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Have you checked out a BMW forum? I think there are posts about engine failures with those car too. Particulary the M models.
You're right, i have also heard about the main bearing going around 50.000 miles on Z3M's.

Jan
Old 06-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
All Boxster's are prone to RMS and IMS failures, but they tend to be more common in earlier years. Also know that once you get past 35-40K miles your chance of having one of these problems decreases but that is not to say it can't happen...
With IMS, the problem is more prone on later cars. Porsche re-designed the IMS in 2001 to eliminate a noise/vibration concern. This eliminated one of the bearings resulting in more shaft flex. This is when the IMS issue was born. Reports of IMS failure on earlier model years are very rare.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Not singling you out, but it seems that whenever there's a discussion about failures, especially design failures such as RMS or IMS, someone will inevetably bring up failures in other marques.

What bearing does that have to Porsche having failures? How does that let Porsche off the hook for something they should have addressed long before now (12 years and counting)?

I could care less how many BMW 'M' engines explode... my concern is that my M96 engine does not ... !!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
My editorial comments.

Porsche makes the car. German engineering and all that stuff. Porsche sells a product that has known issues, which have never been been admitted. I expect as a consumer that a properly maintained engine to last 100,000 if not more miles before major work need to be done.

If you have an intermediate shaft failure then 99.9% chance you need a replacement engine. For your peace of mind you buy a warranty. I have a problem with that. The design problems with the M96 engine is Porsche. Porsche should stand behind their product. The risk of engine damage because of a know problem should not be borne by the consumer via paying for a warranty to cover Porsche's problem.

I heard on the news Mazda has a problem with the RX8 rotary engines. Mazda extended the warranties to 8 years or 100.000 miles or something like that. Owners who paid out of their pocket to fix or replace the engine are going to be reimbursed.

Go on one of the UK message boards. In the UK the factory warranty is only 2 years. There was a time when aftermarket warranty companies would not touch a Boxster. Then Porsche stepped in and started selling it's own warranty. So now you pay Porsche for the car and for the warranty.

From cradle to grave. No wonder the company makes so much money.

Extemely well said.

Nice job.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #19

I have the same worries, but I console myself this way.

I paid $15,000 for a 2000 2.7 Boxster with 56,000 miles. If it doesn't die, it will probably always be worth at least that much. If the engine dies, I spend $15,000 on a 3.8l conversion and the car will be worth just south of $30,000 (at least that's what I have seen them sell for). Either way, I can't lose money on the car. I do all my own work, so maintenance is cheap. I love this thing. I used to buy a new car every few years and flush money down the toilet. I'd have 10 Boxsters with all that wasted depreciation. Your car is a win/win situation, stop worrying.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #20
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
With IMS, the problem is more prone on later cars. Porsche re-designed the IMS in 2001 to eliminate a noise/vibration concern. This eliminated one of the bearings resulting in more shaft flex. This is when the IMS issue was born. Reports of IMS failure on earlier model years are very rare.
I didn't know that, so I guess an earlier year could actually be better then, because you only have to worry about RMS which can be detected ahead of time.
Vs. having worry about RMS and IMS (which is hard to detect) with later years.

Do you which year they made the change?