Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 02:44 AM   #1

Why Porsche?

When I was 8 years old for Christmas I received an Aurora Race Car set. It came with two Indy type cars and loads of track I could reconfigure in a number of ways. Over the next couple of years on Birthdays and Holidays I would get to add a new car. One year I got a Teal '63 Corvette Stingray and another time I got a White Mustang Convertible. The last car I bought myself with my allowance. It was a British racing Green Porsche. I do not remember the model number. But that little car would kick booty. It easily would out run all of the others and most of my friends toy racers. I decided then and there some day when I could drive I was going to get a Porsche.

I do not remember what happened to that toy car or even the entire set. I guess over the years as my interests changed it ended up given to a relative or maybe even thrown away. I honestly do not remember.

For the past three years I have not owned a vehicle. I have a company car I drive through the week and on the weekend I drive my wife's Jeep. Well around the first of the year she began to complain about the miles getting put on her Jeep and said I needed my own vehicle. So we went looking.

In the past I have always had pick up trucks. However, we have since moved to the inner city and with gas at $4 a gallon a truck did not seem very practical. So I opted for something smaller and a little more sporty. Back in February we were at a used car lot that specializes in Sports cars. I was looking over a couple of Jags they had when this black car by their garage with a "Sold" sign on it caught my eye. I went over to check it out. It was a 2001 Porsche Boxter S. It was tooooooo sharp. Suddenly after 44 years my memories of that little toy car came rushing back. I had to find one of my own. And the rest as they say is History.

So if you are ever on the west side in the heart of Newport, Kentucky and you come across a small single car garage on a dark narrow cobblestone alley tread lightly because you are in the presence of an 8 year old's dream come true and the lair of Das Shwarzer Panther.

Photos to follow

Greg
2002 triple black (soon to be desnorkled)

gregdacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:15 AM   #2

Thanks for sharing your story. I guess for some of us our 'boxster' is more than just a car. It's a childhood dream and reminds us of days when life was much simplier.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #3

When I was a kid (like 5 ish) my father worked in a Porsche dealership in Penn. This was back in the day when the guys could bring home demo cars for the weekend. I remember driving in the Lancaster county countryside in new Porsches about once a month.
Well the bug bit me very hard, I vowed to have one.
Well getting married young and having a family fast put those dreams on hold.
Well fast forward 35 years I bought my first Porsche, It is a very clean example of an 82 SC, I can't imagine my life without her. I soon added an 87 944S, this was a great daily driver. The wife had always been panting for a Boxster, so into the driveway came the 986. There is even a 71 long hood sitting here waiting for the rehab to be finished.
I feel Ya borther.

Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote