Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #21

Garage
Hey it's your car, I was just giving my opinion on shifting at redline. As an aircraft mechanic for 24 years that works on his own car I know the consequence of abuse. Just because it's a Porsche doesn't make it bulletproof.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what you do to your car. I just hope you don't experience valve float and bang a piston.

Use it, abuse it and accept the outcome...it's your money and time, not mine.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Hey it's your car, I was just giving my opinion on shifting at redline. As an aircraft mechanic for 24 years that works on his own car I know the consequence of abuse. Just because it's a Porsche doesn't make it bulletproof.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what you do to your car. I just hope you don't experience valve float and bang a piston.

Use it, abuse it and accept the outcome...it's your money and time, not mine.
Redline = Abuse? Redline = Float a valve? Of course not. If so, every BMW and Porsche DE event I've ever been at would be a sea of broken engines. It doesn't happen.

Abuse is doing WOT acceleration to over 4K with cold oil. Abuse is pulling a money shift from 5th to 3rd on the track. Abuse is ignoring oil starvation in 180 degree sweepers on the track (something our Boxster engines are designed to prevent).

I drive my car as it was designed to do. If Porsche is afraid of that, hey, there are many other options out there.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #23
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I've been driving Porsches this way since 1974 haven't hit a valve yet....
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I've been driving Porsches this way since 1974 haven't hit a valve yet....
You've got me, I've only been doing for 25 years (since late '82). To me, the ability to run the cars hard (on the track, especially) is what sets them apart from the posers. You frequently see people out at NASA or other events with your standard "high performance" street cars (e.g. Nissan's, Mustangs, Hondas, etc). They may do well for a few laps, but often end up with severe brake fading, overheating, etc. Even the early Vipers would toast their brakes after a few laps at a tight track. Not so with Porsches and BMW's, they can run lap after lap without issue.

The day Porsche or BMW stop making cars that can do this, they'll be no different than any other street car, and the reason for owning them will be gone.

Last edited by pbanders; 05-26-2008 at 07:20 PM.
pbanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #25

Quote:

P.S. You like to rev it to the redline? Remember that the computer logs rev limiter and over rev's. My new Durametric scanning tool showed my '04 S was 0/0 on both counters. Good news for reselling and warranty work.

Not impressive considering you drive the chicktronic. If you had on 04 S that was a manual with 0/0 redlines itd either have like 30 miles on it or your 90 years old and dont drive above 30 MPH :P
SilentThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #26
FTD

So what is the answer to the original question? I don't think I saw it. Is there a relationship to RPMs and clutch wear? I can't figure how there could be, but what do I know?
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #27

Garage
"So remember a few rules:
-do not use this forum as a vehicle to attack others"

I remember reading this when I first signed up for this forum, and I've giving my advise just like everyone else here to help others.

Now I have this Silent Blunder guy coming out of nowhere and doggin' my car like a jealous little bi*ch.

There's no reason for trash talk in this forum. Anytime you want to run against my "chicktronic" let me know, I'm just next door.

Dave
Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #28

Quote:
"So remember a few rules:
-do not use this forum as a vehicle to attack others"

I remember reading this when I first signed up for this forum, and I've giving my advise just like everyone else here to help others.

Now I have this Silent Blunder guy coming out of nowhere and doggin' my car like a jealous little bi*ch.

There's no reason for trash talk in this forum. Anytime you want to run against my "chicktronic" let me know, I'm just next door.

Dave
Ha! Im not attacking you. You drive a TIPtronic (happy?), you cant redline it because its an automatic. A simple statement of fact, so get your facts straight.

And why would you resort to a level LOWER than myself by name calling? You are a hypocrite dave. A sensitive one at that, as you made clear.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #29

Garage
You really don't your cars do you? " you cant redline it because its an automatic. A simple statement of fact, so get your facts straight."

Anyone reading this knows by that statement that you don't know what your talking about.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #30

Quote:
You really don't your cars do you? " you cant redline it because its an automatic. A simple statement of fact, so get your facts straight."

Anyone reading this knows by that statement that you don't know what your talking about.
Alright, I should have specified. A correctly working factory tuned automatic. You could go past redline if you reflashed your control module.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Last I check you can bounce a Tip off the rev limiter just like you can bounce a manual off the rev limiter.

Your wrong on this one Bogg....ummm Silent Thunder.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #32

Garage
Eeeahhh...wrong again genius. In the automatic mode it shifts using different modes depending on how you drive it. In the manual mode you shift it through the gears using the steering wheel thumb paddles, shifting in .2 tenths of a sec.

O' by the way, you can keep it any gear up to whatever rpm it can handle.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #33

Garage
Funny, I thought I would have to defend my cars performance against other manufacturers similar products, not my peers own cars.

I'm done with this thread.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #34

My Boxster has Tip, too, it's an interesting tranny to drive. I've had manual boxes for ages, so like everyone else here, I'm well-versed in using a manual on the road and track. My Boxster has Tip because the car was the best deal I was looking at, and my wife isn't a big fan of manuals and I figured she'd like it more.

Turns out it's a pretty fun setup. As Jaxonalden says, it performs very well. I took my car on a 250 mile mountain run a few months ago, where I figured I'd have it under manual control the whole time. Turns out that I found that automatic mode worked better for the speeds and conditions I was driving in, as it was much faster at downshifting to the optimal gear for passing, did all the WOT shifts at redline, and held the gear when going off throttle after passing. I couldn't have done better manually. With extra HP of an S it would have been pretty awesome.

Sure, you lose the direct connection of a manual box, but for 99% of the driving you do on the street, it's pretty nice.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #35

Turns out a moderator can't even take a few days off to visit his grandson.

Anyway, lets all chlll out here. We will NEVER resolve this issue of driving at redline. If you want to hit the RL all the time, I hope you are doing it at the track because the street is likely not the place you want to be doing these speeds.

Having said that, if you want to blow up your engine, drive it PAST redline at all times. Also, put in cheap oil and drop the clutch as often as you can. Oh, and drifting is really good for the tires also.

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #36
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Congrats on the grandfather thing!

I wonder how many grandfathers redline their Porsches.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Congrats on the grandfather thing!

I wonder how many grandfathers redline their Porsches.

Thanks. It is a blast being a GF. The kid is a trip, and I love him totally. One of the compensations for getting older.

Not sure on the redline thing. I think time has changed what it means to be a GF.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #38
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Someone else shares my point of view.

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/pdf/Total911_July06.pdf

"That said, he and Steve say that, if
your engine’s going to fail, there’s not
much you can do to prevent it. Although
Nick has his own pet theory: “Jonathan
Palmer Motorsport has several 3.4-litre
cars which are driven hard on the track
every day,” he says. “These engines are
running fine, whereas maybe those that
have been driven more sedately seem to
suffer problems!”
Old 06-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #39

Here's a grandfather not afraid of a redline!!
From another thread today on the same subject, the VVT means never needing to shift at redline.
Proved it out at Gainesville Dragway a few weeks ago. Fastest run of three was shifting at 6200, slowest was shifting at 7000.
If I felt like going out to the garage, I'd get the tickets.
Shifting at 6200 - 14.032 @99.98
Shifting at 7000 was about 14.6 and just over 97 mph.
2006 3.2 S
Old 06-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #40
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I just like the rush to 7000 that my 2.7 has in 1st and 2ond....