Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #181

I'm curious - what does one do with a blown engine? Are there generally any salvageable parts on it, or is it off to the salvage yard and how much could one reasonably expect to get from them?

ElectricRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #182

Don't know about repairable or salvageable parts. I ended up selling my 2003 with the dead engine for $5K and walked away.

FYI, I went through the exercise of contacting Porsche Customer Service. They gave me the "car is out of warranty" run-around, which I expected. Additionally, they told me that there is a higher level of customer service for which I was not qualified (probably because I haven't owned enough Porsches). What a way to insult a customer!

They showed ZERO interest in trying to understand the source of the problem. Looks like they were happy to chalk it up to just another probably IMS failure after 25K miles.

I'm not in any hurry to own another one.
buckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #183

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricRob View Post
I'm curious - what does one do with a blown engine? Are there generally any salvageable parts on it, or is it off to the salvage yard and how much could one reasonably expect to get from them?
I buy engines for parts or accept them for exchange on my rebuilt engines.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #184

Garage
I have to say that after reading this entire thread, I am more than a bit concerned.

I purchased my '01 S new and for various reasons haven't driven it much in the last 5 years (winters are long here in Alberta).

I feel I might be particularly vulnerable to the potential IMS failure as the car has been in extended storage. My total milage just turned over 20,000 km (12,425 miles) and I have an appointment with an independant Porsche shop next week for an oil change, filters etc.

I guess I'm the guy who drives infrequently (although I'll be using the car much more now) and it seems as though I'm a prime candidate for an expensive IMS experience.

Should I be thinking seriously about the IMS upgrade now? I would appreciate any and all suggestions.
ccjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #185
recycledsixtie

Garage
I bought a 2001 Boxster base with 50k kms a year ago and have not had any kind of engine problem except diagnosed with very minor mist of oil coming from rear main seal.
To me your choices are:
1. drive as is and risk ims fail
2. install new ln ceramic ims bearing
3. or install IMS Guardian which would detect failing ims before it breaks.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #186

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
I have to say that after reading this entire thread, I am more than a bit concerned.

I purchased my '01 S new and for various reasons haven't driven it much in the last 5 years (winters are long here in Alberta).

I feel I might be particularly vulnerable to the potential IMS failure as the car has been in extended storage. My total milage just turned over 20,000 km (12,425 miles) and I have an appointment with an independant Porsche shop next week for an oil change, filters etc.

I guess I'm the guy who drives infrequently (although I'll be using the car much more now) and it seems as though I'm a prime candidate for an expensive IMS experience.

Should I be thinking seriously about the IMS upgrade now? I would appreciate any and all suggestions.
YES in your particular situation especially, possibly the best investment you will ever make!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #187

Garage
recycledsixty & BYprodriver....

Thank you for the fast replies. I spoke with the mechanic who will be doing my work next week. He will be looking for any signs of IMS issues while he has the car and suggested doing the upgrade before I put it into storage this fall.

I suppose that seems reasonable, thanks to this forum and others I am very aware of what I should be keeping an eye on.

The upgrade will happen this year!

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #188
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
YES in your particular situation especially, possibly the best investment you will ever make!
That is the best answer so far. Just replace IMS!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #189

Garage
So, I expect my indie will be having a good look at the oil filter he removes. Other than a thorough visual inspection of the engine and clutch mating area...would there be any other specific things we should be looking for?

I've never had the car in this shop before but he comes highly recommended and I do want to use him exclusively going forward.

Don't want to start this relationship off on the wrong foot.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #190
Mbeardo

2004 Boxster S, 550 Anni Edition, 34K miles, IMS failure.

$15K to bebuild the engine.

Owned the car less than 12 months.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #191

Garage
Ouch !! Ouch !! Ouch !!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #192

Possible fix

OK take this with a grain of salt. But if you do not lug the engine, IE keep it above 2,000 you have a better chance of not having failures.

And change oil each year no matter how many low miles you have. Do not skimp on oil either.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #193

Imploding motor

Hi - I'm new to the forum as I just acquired a 2001 S which is just perfect in every respect, or so I though until reading this thread. I had the car at Porsche for a complete checkup and they gave it a clean bill of health but now I'm not so sure if they can be trusted, considering the factory's behavior about this.

Since reading this thread, I've been checking around locally and hearing lots of nightmare tales. So, I've decided to do the LN bearing conversion immediately just so I can sleep at night.

Any comments? Am I being paranoid? After reading this and doing some independent research on my own, I think not. This car appears and drive as new but I really don't feel like parting it out if the engine blows.
98601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #194
Top down

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Pastor T
Hey folks, Pastor T here. I recently purchased a 2000 2.7 with 86K on the car and 40K on the engine. Internal engine failure at 40K in 2003. Most tell me the IMS failure potential is still with me. I suspect it is. What do you all think of the IMS Guardian. Or should I just go ahead and do the LN IMS upgrade? Thanks for you counsel.
Pastor T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #195
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor T View Post
Hey folks, Pastor T here. I recently purchased a 2000 2.7 with 86K on the car and 40K on the engine. Internal engine failure at 40K in 2003. Most tell me the IMS failure potential is still with me. I suspect it is. What do you all think of the IMS Guardian. Or should I just go ahead and do the LN IMS upgrade? Thanks for you counsel.
I too considered the Guardian, then did the logic in my head that my car has 87K on it. While I have a complete folder of all the service done on the car, At 87K I think it's time to just get it done for me personally. Reading all the stories of this happening without notice, it would be peace of mind to just get it done.
With that said, I have an appointment to drop the car off in Pasadena.
Reasonable price, and have the clutch replaced at the same time.
LN Engineering IMS upgrade time..
Reading the information on the ceramic bearing replacement makes logical sense to me..
T
Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #196

Tony_Fury,

I am a new owner of a 2000 Boxster in West Los Angeles. Just curious if you can send me a list of your favorite mechanics around LA and/or those to avoid. You can PM me to be more candid.

Thanks, Richard
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #197

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor T View Post
The IMS Guardian also detects other imminent engine failures, not just the IMS. I have not decided what to do for my 2001 yet. I have 66K miles so a clutch is probably in my future. I am thinking of budgeting for a clutch and IMS next year. The guardian is not a bad thing to have though and now there is the junior at half the price but with out the integrated dash light to look factory. At the very least do regular oil changes and replace your oil drain plug with a magnetic one. An oil analysis after the oil change may not be a bad idea either.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #198
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
The IMS Guardian also detects other imminent engine failures, not just the IMS. I have not decided what to do for my 2001 yet. I have 66K miles so a clutch is probably in my future. I am thinking of budgeting for a clutch and IMS next year. The guardian is not a bad thing to have though and now there is the junior at half the price but with out the integrated dash light to look factory. At the very least do regular oil changes and replace your oil drain plug with a magnetic one. An oil analysis after the oil change may not be a bad idea either.
I was going to replace the Oil filter to see what it looks like, but just made the appointment to have it done instead.

If your oil change is not due, it can't hurt to just replace the filter, tear it apart and visually inspect it for metallic particles..
Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #199

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
I was going to replace the Oil filter to see what it looks like, but just made the appointment to have it done instead.

If your oil change is not due, it can't hurt to just replace the filter, tear it apart and visually inspect it for metallic particles..
What's the estimate for clutch and IMS?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #200
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
What's the estimate for clutch and IMS?
Quoted $1,700 for the LN IMS, clutch is just parts since transmission is out of the car anyway.
They were the recommended shop from LN Engineering.
I'm sure other things will be found that needs replacement once transmission is removed and access is gained..
T