Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #21

You have my deepest empathy on this one...

I just bought my 98 box last week and have it going in on Monday to repair a leaking coolant tank, get a new clutch and replace a leaking RMS...

Do any of the members on this forum know how common these total engine failures are? I love this car, but these issues are causing me to wonder if this buy was a good idea...

Any thoughts?

dgentileksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #22

From my understanding the cylinder sleeve dis-forming (shifting and etc) was a early engine problem... the cracking is a new problem that has started to come along now that the early 3.4's (from 996), 3.2's and 2.7's are getting up in miles

I wouldn't say this is a big problem, as I would guess a good percentage (25% or so) will get on a message board to tell their story... the M96 engines do die... but a lot of engines die too....
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:25 AM   #23

We have no real data on this save the posts. We are not alone, this issue has made the Porsche magazines too, so we know IMS issues still persist.

Only Porsche knows and they are not talking.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #24

As these cars accumulate higher and higher mileage, some different problems are starting to crop up such as cracking of the Cylinder Liners, most often, the #2 and #5 cylinders.

This is thought to occur because the mettalurgy becomes more brittle after long-term heat cycling (or excessive overheating - watch that cooling system, especially cleaning the radiators and insuring your fans operate correctly) and the slight torqueing the engine experiences (a good reason not to ignore the condition of your motor and transmission mounts).

Usually beginning as parallel cracks at the top of the liner, these often join further down the liner. When engine torque is applied, a 'D' shaped chip can break off the top of the liner. Somewhere in this process the integrity of the water jacket goes away allowing coolant to enter the cylinder creating Hydrolock, or allowing the coolant/oil mixture to attack the Main or Rod bearings.

Often this is the cause, but it frequently goes undiscovered because the diagnosis of Engine Replacement is made w/o a total dismantling of the engine and is attributed to other issues such as timing chains etc. which may in fact be secondary failures caused by the bad cylinder liners.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #25

That is bizarre. No my cousin's Lexus SC400 is coming up on 300K miles. Original engine, used only DINO oil and not very good about getting it changed.

Runs like the day she bought it in 1992. I had a SC400 with 180K on it that ran like new also.

Hmmmm.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #26

Sorry for your situation. I had to have a total engine replacement in my 01 as well a few months back. Still fighting with the warranty company over it as a matter of fact.

I would recommend SilverStar Recycling in California, if you are going to buy a used engine. They were great to work with in my situation. I bought a used 3.2 from them.

Good luck!!

Mike
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #27

If it was a Subaru motor that had been overboosted I would say to get some Darton sleeves put in the thing and rebuild the bottom end. So why again does everyone buy an entirely new engine for these things? Any reason these things can't just be rebuilt.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
If it was a Subaru motor that had been overboosted I would say to get some Darton sleeves put in the thing and rebuild the bottom end. So why again does everyone buy an entirely new engine for these things? Any reason these things can't just be rebuilt.

As I understand it, Porsche does everything in its power to restrict this kind of action. Not sure how that translates but you rarely find anyone rebuilding these motors (maybe never) or pulling it apart to build a face motor.

The more racing oriented here can chime in on this.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #29

I just visited Roadfly and typed in Blown Boxster engine in the search window.

OH MY GOD.

I am speechless.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #30

It seems that there are more parts available for the older air cooled Porsche engines. However, the issue may indeed be the block. Notice the top and bottom end parts but if the alloy block is whacked, what do youi do about that?

I have not come across any sleeving parts and maybe that isn't even doable given the characteristics of the block.

Hmmm.

Porsche 911 Motor Rebuild Kits

Master Motor Rebuild Kits

Motor Meister's Porsche Master Motor Rebuild Kits are for the Porsche owner who wants it all! Which includes all parts and machine work. Our machine shop facility brings you the Porsche expertise that you will need to build your Porsche 911 engine.

You deal with one professional Porsche engine builder and supplier who not only sells the Porsche 911 parts you will need but uses these same parts on their own Porsche engines they build in house and will have the technical support to help you through any questions you may have.

When you buy kits from Motor Meister you are led through the rebuilding process step by step along with free inspections of any part by Lee Marks who will then provide you with advice and knowledge.

California is the motor building capitol for the world for race cars. The balancing company we use balances for Toyota Motorsports (Indianapolis), Honda Motorsports (Grand Prix), Dan Gurney Motorsports (IMSA), and even the Blue Flame (Land Speed record holder). Professionals from our balancing company are friends of Lee Marks (Motor Meister's head mechanic) so they also help in our Porsche needs.

How the Motor Meister's Master Rebuld kit works is, dissasemble your complete 911 Porsche engine (if you get stuck on dissassembly call Motor Meister). Once motor is apart visually inspect everything and if you see any Porsche part that is broken or damaged do NOT throw away, place in bag for Motor Meister can see WHY failure accured.

Once everthing is apart and you have inspected all your Porsche engine parts, take some pictures and right down your Porsche case's engine serial number for future reference.

Instructions for shipping:

· Take ALL Porsche 911 parts and lay them in boxes that can be placed on a pallet or skid. (plastic milk crates work the best)

· Strap down all boxes and parts securely for they will not come off pallet.

Wrap up parts with clear wrap, tarp or anything that will not leave boxes and parts exposed.

Contact Motor Meister and we can pick up shipment that SAME day!

Parts Included

Set Main Bearings
* German Glyco
* STD/STD
* Oversize avaible
Porsche Rod Bearings
* German Glyco
* STD/STD
* Oversize aviable
2 Intermidate Shaft Bearings
* German Glyco
* 1970 and newer includes 2-more
2 Porsche Timing Chains
* German Iwis
* 1-Piece (non-link)
Complete Chain Rails Set
* German Swag
* Turbo Up-Grade
12 Porsche Valve Guides
* Bronze Phos
* Longer lasting
* Better lubrication
* Harder material
* Racing valve guides avaible
12 Porsche Valve Stem Seals
* Teflon Up-Grade
* Longer lasting
Porsche Piston Rings Set
* For Mahle or Kolben Shimdt
* Comes with special break in tips
* Racing Rings
12 Porsche Rod Bolts
* German
* Never re-use, stretch bolts
* Racing Aerospace avaible
12 Connecting Rod Nuts
* German
* Never re-use
* Racing Aerospace avaible
12 Piston Pin Clips
* Factory Porsche
* Never re-use
Porsche Main Seal Front
* German Reinz
Porsche Main Seal Rear
* German Reinz
4 Oil Pump Seals
* German Reinz
#8 O'ring
* German Reinz
8 Oil Return Tube Seals
* Green Viton
* Longer lastings
Oil Pump Lock Tabs Set
* Factory Porsche
* Never re-use
3 Oil Cooler Seals
* German Reinz
2 Camshaft Key Ways
* Factory Porsche
* Never reuse
2 Camshaft Pins
* Factory Porsche
* Never reuse
6 Head Copper Shims
* Different thickness
24 Case O'rings
* German Reinz
2 Upper Valve Cover Gaskets
* German Reinz
2 Lower Valve cover Gaskets
* German Reinz
2 Camshaft End Play Gaskets
* German Reinz
2 Camshaft Plate O'rings
* German Reinz
Oil Thermostat O'ring
* German Reinz
2 Camshaft Housing Gaskets
* German Reinz
Set Crush Washers 6mm Set
* German Wurth
Set Crush Washers 8mm Set
* German Wurth
Set Lock Nuts 6mm
* German Wurth
Set Lock Nuts 8mm
* German Wurth
6 Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
* German Reinz
* Custom Gasket Sizes avaible
6 Intake Gaskets
* German Reinz
Intermidateshaft Gasket
* German Reinz
6 Camshaft Line Seals
* German Reinz
2 Camshaft Housing to Case Gaskets
* German Reinz
2 Camshaft Cover Plate Gaskets
* German Reinz
Oil Breather Gasket
* German Reinz
Distributor Seal
* German Reinz
Misc gaskets, O'rings & seals included
all Reinz made in Germany!
Machine Work Included

6 Porsche Heads
* Dissasembled and Inspected
* Bead blasted
* Valve guides installed
* Valve stem seals installed
* Complete valve job
* Valve spring height adjusted
* Head matting surface inspected
* Deck height checked for proper compression
* Broken exhaust studs removal and time sert $15.00 each
* Spark plug time sert and install $15.00 each
* Porting and Polishing avaible
6 Porsche Pistons & Cylinders
* Clean and Inspect Pistons and Cylinders for correct tolerances
* Compression ratio given
* Polished piston pins
* Polished piston bores
* Piston ring grooves cleaned
* Cylinders Re-Machined
* Cylinders & Pistons prepped for rings and installed for easy installation
* Break-in Instructions and tips
* Raising Compression avaible
2 Porsche Upper Valve Covers
* Checked for warped and cracks
* Machined surfaces
2 Porsche Lower Valve Covers
* Checked for warped and cracks
* Machined surfaces
2 Porsche Chain Housing Covers
* Checked for warpage and cracks
* Machined surfaces
2 Porsche Chain Housings
* Cleaned and Inspected
* Cover matting surface hand prepped
* Case matting surface, resurfaced
* Rear of housings cold welded sealing leaks
2 Porsche Camshafts
* Inspect for camshaft wear or damage
* Measured for lift and duration
* Polished bearing surface
12 Porsche Rockers
* Radius re-surfaced
* Bores polished
12 Porsche Rocker Shafts
* Cleaned
* Polished
2 Camshaft Housings
* Cleaned and Inspected
* Camshaft housings resurfaced
* Camshaft spray bars cleaned and tested
* Valve cover matting surface hand prepped
* Outer camshaft bores polished
2 Camshaft Sprockets
* Inspected for wear
* Cleaned and debured
2 Idler Sprockets
* Inspected for wear
* Cleaned and debured
2 Camshaft Aluminum Cover Plates
* Cleaned and inspected
* Resurfaced
2 Idler Arms
* Cleaned and Inspected
2 Chain Tensioners
* Clean and Inspect
* Test for correct tension
6 Porsche Rods
* Machine big end
* Bores polished
* Check for proper weight and balance
Porsche Crankshaft
* Magnufluxed
* Micropolished
* Checked for straightness
Intermidateshaft and Gear
* Gear inspected for wear
* Gear measured for tolerance
* Shaft bearing wear measured
* Shaft micorppolished
* If need to replace gears & re-install $40.00 extra
Intermidateshaft Cover Plate
* Inspected for cracks
* Cleaned and resurfaced
Porsche Oil Pump
* Ready for installation
* Oil pump dissembled and gears polished and debured
Porsche Engine Case
* Visual inspect Porsche Case
* All bearing saddles prepped
* Line bore measured and inspected
* Case matting surfaces hand resurfaced
* Chain housing matting surface hand resurfaced
* Oil breather matting surface hand resurfaced
* Oil sump matting surface hand resurfaced
* Pistons squirters cleaned and tested
* Intermidate shaft cover plate area hand resurfaced
* Head stud removal available
Porsche Oil cooler
* Pressure Tested & Clean
* Matting surface machined
ALL PARTS SENT IN NEED TO BE CLEANED BEFORE SHIPPING IN!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prices:

Porsche 2.0 . . . . . . . . . . . $1895
Porsche 2.2 . . . . . . . . . . . $1995
Porsche 2.4 . . . . . . . . . . . $1995
Porsche 2.7 . . . . . . . . . . . $1995
Porsche 3.0 . . . . . . . . . . . $2495
Porsche 3.2 . . . . . . . . . . . $2495
Porsche 3.6 . . . . . . . . . . . $2995
Porsche 3.0 Turbo . . . . . $2995
Porsche 3.3 Turbo . . . . . $2995
Porsche 996 & Boxster Call For Details

Old 05-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #31

Apparently, the issue exists with 911s also

If you want an eye-opener, simply Google Boxer engine failures.

Wow, baby!

I own a 1999 C2 996 Manual (3.4 engine) which was originally bought from an Official Porsche Centre in the UK and all services have been carried out by OPCs since.

It has had an engine and transmission replaced already due to internal component failures. It has had the usual leaking RMS problems.

Recently the car went in for its annual service. The car was fine when it left me and but after the service had been carried out and during the final road test I was told that it developed a major engine problem which has subsequently been diagnosed as a big end bearing failure which requires another engine replacement.

The car is now out of warranty and I have been informed by PCGB that because of this and the age and mileage of the car, they will not cover the costs. They have offered to make a contribution, but I’m still facing a very big bill.

There is plenty of information around on forums about the RMS oil leaks and engine failures due to liners cracking and bearings breaking up in 996s and Boxsters. Transmissions also seem to be a problem. Some owners have received 'goodwill' FOC replacements and others have been left to pick up the bill. Is this just a case of who shouts loudest or complains the most gets the goodwill and rest are left to find more money to pour into a car which has already depreciated more than any almost any other Porsche model in history?

I do not want to be a cause of further depreciation but isn’t it about time something was done about this situation? If the number of failures occurring is a small percentage then it would be in Porsche’s interest to simply replace them FOC and keep their customers happy. If it is such a big issue that they don’t want to spend the money doing this, we all should be made aware.

A few people in the past have tried to gather information, set up websites etc. to bring this out into the open but don’t seem to have got very far. I would like to do something not just to sort out my own situation but also to help all 996 and Boxster owners, past and present, receive fair treatment from Porsche.

To start with I'd like to hear your stories, good and bad. So if you've suffered an engine or transmission failure with your 996 or Boxster, please let me know the VIN/chassis number, year, model and mileage when it happened, description of fault/failure and what the result was (warranty replacement, goodwill replacement, contribution or no help given).

Please post here or e-mail me privately:

mrphish@dial.pipex.com

All personal information will be treated in the strictest confidence. No names or e-mail addresses will be released to anyone without the consent of the contributor.

Please feel free to copy or e-mail this post to anyone you know who has had engine or transmission failures and help get the truth out in the open.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
As I understand it, Porsche does everything in its power to restrict this kind of action. Not sure how that translates but you rarely find anyone rebuilding these motors (maybe never) or pulling it apart to build a face motor.

It does require quite a few special tools. While there don't seem to be many rebuilders here in the states, a brit firm called Autofarm does quite a job rebuilding them and in fact making them better - http://www.autofarm.co.uk/
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:42 AM   #33

Can anyone help me out with these codes?

Yesterday i received the maintainence history of my vehical which was sent to me from the dealer I bought it from. This is basically the cars history from before I bought it. Does anyone know what the following mean and if they might have any bearing on or been an indication of future engine failure?

13poz engine elictrical
14pozce check engine light (2 times within 1 week this appears)
22poz driveshaft/diff
11poz engine repair mi

I am particularly interested in the last two because they happened one month (or less) prior to me purchasing the vehical. I think maybe the very last one was done after the vehical was traded in because there is also a line for buyers guide and detailing, but none for a loaner car. Again, any help would be very much appreciated. I as told the car was tip top with no past problems.
2001saxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001saxster
Yesterday i received the maintainence history of my vehical which was sent to me from the dealer I bought it from. 13poz engine elictrical
14pozce check engine light (2 times within 1 week this appears)
22poz driveshaft/diff
11poz engine repair mi.
If anyone is to decipher what could have been related to your failure, we would need to know the specifics of that repair.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee

So where are these re-manufactured engines the dealers are selling coming from then? It sounds to me like Porsche's policy is to recommend replacement for any engine problem (even if a full dignosis can't be made because they don't want to fully inspect it), then send that engine back to the factory to be rebuilt for the next unlucky Porsche driver to buy for another $10,000. They are probably making a good buck doing after warranty replacements on their faulty design.
2001saxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001saxster
So where are these re-manufactured engines the dealers are selling coming from then? It sounds to me like Porsche's policy is to recommend replacement for any engine problem (even if a full dignosis can't be made because they don't want to fully inspect it), then send that engine back to the factory to be rebuilt for the next unlucky Porsche driver to buy for another $10,000. They are probably making a good buck doing after warranty replacements on their faulty design.

The dealers source them from Porsche Germany. They are essentially new engines, with the reuse of some external parts, like injectors, intake and exhaust. Those parts are remanunfactured.