Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 06:30 AM   #21
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I totally agree, good job not losing it and not getting into a fight.
It is interesting that so many people are rude. Most of the people with nice (mostly German) cars I know like my car, but everyone with a Ford or a rice rocket is a jerk (within the car enthusiast crowd). They must all be jealous, even though I paid probably paid less for my car than they did for there new Mustang or Honda.

I never get into fights about my car even though I have had people throw gum on the windshield, and smash an egg on the back. Their jealous and I'll put up with them because I know my car can outperform theirs any day of the week!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjkim550
Peer,

I am glad that you did not let them goad you into a fist fight. Being an short Asian man with a short temper, I got into a lot of them when I was younger. I trained in Tae Kwon Do for 12 years and thought that I was tough. I won my share but also got my a$$ whooped plenty of times. I don't really remember the fights I won but vividly remember the fights I lost. Not fun. It is a good thing that I was just a kid and did not get seriously injured.

Now that I am older (hopefully wiser), I cannot imagine being in a fist fight. I have no delusions about what can happen in a fight and would rather stay away from them. There are plenty of idiots out there... fighting with them will not change them.

I used to teach MA. I would tell the young guys, when you fight, you lose, even if you win. I have never had a fight where I didn't hurt something, a toe, ankle, knuckle, rist, eye, etc. etc.

So, even if I WON, the fight, I lost.

Fighting is better left for when the alternative is pretty darn awful.

Certainly, fighting over a car is totally a bad call.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #23

Peer,

That's what makes the world go round. Try (easy to say, harder to do) to save your mental energy - life is too short already to waste it wondering about all the knuckle-draggers around us.

I think it is largely jealousy that causes people to act like that, but sometimes I think the dimmer ones feel we're "asking for it", for example, parking with the roof down when their car roof is fixed (and probably covered in torn vinyl), if they even own a car. After an egg in my Boxster and one in my Miata before that, I take the few minutes to raise the roof when I park just to avoid antagonizing the bottom-feeders. Doesn't take much to irk them with an IQ in single digits and it takes 10 to bark.

I've heard the 997 shots about Boxsters as well, but I also have two friends who have traded 997s for Boxster Ss like mine, with two trunks and a folding top and owners who don't seem to take themselves quite so seriously.

My mantra has always been to remind myself that there is always someone worse off than me. That goes double for anyone who can afford a treat like a Porsche so spend a nanosecond feeling sorry for the other guys and move on with a smile on your face. No doubt there are guys right now on an Aston Martin site somewhere feeling sorry for us poor wee folk in our Boxsters.
marbique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #24
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Not sure why you would care what another driver thinks of your car?

Spitting on it, however is strickly a case of looking for a whupping.

That's funny!
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
I have a lot of respect for the 911s wish it was the same for the 911 owners to the Boxsters. We all hate hearing the "poor mans porsche" and "it's not a real porsche" or "it's a girls porsche" and my favorite "the Chixster". You'd think the 911 owners would have a little more gratitude towards the Boxster as it helped Porsche get out of it's financial slump and rise to the top again. Still it always blows my mind with the whole Poor Mans Porsche. With prices starting at $45K for the base 987 and $50K for the S I don't see many poor people driving em. Not to mention you can configure a Boxster S 987 with features to bring it up over $100K. that ain't cheap.

Screw this guy for trying to pick a fight by pulling your strings. You did the right thing.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #26

Garage
Good job Peer, not only did you keep you cool, you kept to your plans to shoot pool. I admire people with patience, probably why you bought a Boxster. Clean up your car and buy yourself something nice.

I don't care what anyone thinks about my car, my status, or why I choose to drive what I drive. I owe absolutely no explanation to anyone. I enjoy participating in two PCA clubs with folks interested in being friends and talking cars. The percentage of good folks far outweighs the bad.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #27
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboxster
BTW , FTD, I have a Ford Ranger and I love it. Simply because it has been extremely reliable thus far. And VERY low maintennance.
make no mistake, I judge no one on their automobile, their house, their tattoos or earrings, or anything. I am interested in what they say. The peron is what matters. I meant nothing by mentioning his truck, except in his case HE was competitive and I don't understnad that kind of brain. Especially when it was pointless meaness, like the weirdo spitting for no conceivable reason. I think it is fun to imagine hitting someone so disconnected that I would hit him iwth a tire iron and walk away, but that is Hollywood and saying something nice to disarm them is actually pretty cool. Who cares if you don't like my car. You weren't involved in the purchase decision [not spoken], but hey, "you sure take nice care of your car/truck - what do you use to keep your exhaust looking so nice and shiny?" It has nothing to do with judgment. I am not judgmental and am appalled and confused by people that are. BTW thanks for your response. I hope my response is perceived for the opportunity you gave me and nothing more.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
No matter what happens there will ALWAYS be people out there that do stupid things like this. Nothing we can do about it. Its pretty sad really.

I live in LA and go out to Hollywood all the time and have NEVER in the 6.5 years in owning my Boxster have taken it out to a club with me. Regardless of what everyone says its an attention grabber, Boxster or not. I've seen cars JUMPED on while parked, drinks spilled on, Hit and Run, you name it I've seen it happen and NEVER did anyone leave a note. Go figure!

You did good Peer, I however, probably wouldn't have been able to keep my cool like that. Good for you man.

Hopefully its nothing more than just a dirty car. Spend some time and give her a good detail.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #29

The are certain places I just won't bring my Mercedes or Porsche. I live in a more upscale coastal area of Florida, but If I go more inland .... I'm in 'good ole boy' land. We've driven to Orlando up 17 just to take the back roads and have been flipped off, cussed at, called yuppies, you name it...but then again, when I'm driving away from the coastal areas I get flipped off in our Honda also...go figure.....

There are mean, bad people every place. When I just got out of the Marine Corp 20+ years ago I would have flipped my lid and jumped all over the guy, but now I realize it just not worth it. Unless someone is threatening my family, let them be the small minded jerks. People are jealous of Porsche owners.....they all assume if you drive a nice car your rich, and that pisses some people off. I work hard for everything I own so I appreciate that I have my dream cars....people are jealous, you can't control their actions, but what separates the civilized from the beast is how we control our actions. I applaud you for keeping your calm!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../signature.jpg
bluesbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I guess I'm lucky I haven't been flipped off yet. Only had the car since March though. Watch, tomorrow I'll probably get flipped off.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:10 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer
Last night when I parked outside our billiards hall, a burly brute started to go off on how much he "hated" my car and that I "must be a retard for driving this piece of ****************." Since all his venom came completely unprovoked, I decided to stay cool to not provoke him any further. However, it probably got a bit awkward for him when I quietly picked up my pool cues from the trunk and followed him straight into the pool-hall -- he obviously didn't except that we would end up under the same roof and also seeing that I kind of "belonged" there.

I didn't think more about this as my practice time went about. But then, a few hours later, when I discover that the burly brute and his posse were checked out, it dawns on me that he might have done something to my car. So I run out to discover that the alarm was triggered and the car was covered with spit loogies. What a class act.

It's funny (not "ha-ha-funny" but "strange-funny") that envy, or whatever it is, can drive certain people to act like this, unprovoked. Hopefully he didn't also key the car -- tomorrow's daylight will tell.

-- peer
at least they didn't throw a brick through the windshield... happened to me one night out in ybor city.. came out from a good time with friends to find a shatterered windshield...

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:32 AM   #32
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ I wouldn't be able to keep my cool in that situation because the windshield is about $500-800 (depending on where you go) which makes that a felony for criminal property damage.

Last edited by rick3000; 05-06-2008 at 05:42 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
^ I wouldn't be able to keep my cool in that situation because the windshield is about $500-800 (depending on where you go) which makes that a felony for criminal property damage.
true, but they were long gone when I got out there... eh.. yeah I was mad, but what are ya really gonna do? Besides, I believe in the "what goes around, comes around" theory. that dood who broke my windshield has got some bad karma around him for sure...

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #34

check out this vid. haters everywhere. but this guy had a plan!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh_gL7Az53o
Livn Lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #35

Angry

If they had caught the guy who threw the brick, what do you think would have happened to him ? Some liberal judge would have said "dont do it again", "next case". I used to work in a juvenile detention home ( for a short time ). The kids in there admitted to me on MANY occasions that there was NOTHING they were afraid of concerning the courts. They knew until the age of 18 they could do ANYTHING just short of murder and pretty much get away with it. It's not much different with adults. When a person gets 10 yrs in jail BUT only actually serves 12 months, where is the deterrent ? Many mean people figure the risk outweights the deterrent. Until we reverse that situation , things will not improve
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn.noonan
check out this vid. haters everywhere. but this guy had a plan!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh_gL7Az53o

That may be the funniest video I have ever seen.

Now, THAT is a strategy. Thanks

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #37
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
This reminds me of the Top Gear episode when they come to America, and the rednecks try to kill them in Alabama. But they sort of provoked it more than just driving a Z4, with slogans like Nascar sucks, I'm Bi, and Hilary Clinton is God painted on the cars.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:10 AM   #38

Deja vu all over again...

Well, here we go again -- last night (an hour ago) as our pool-hall was closing, I realized that the alarm on my Box was trigged, and sure enough, it was again assaulted -- this time not only with spit loogies but also with a few muffins that were mashed all over the seats & interior. What a class act.

-- peer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer
Last night when I parked outside our billiards hall, a burly brute started to go off on how much he "hated" my car and that I "must be a retard for driving this piece of ****************." Since all his venom came completely unprovoked, I decided to stay cool to not provoke him any further. However, it probably got a bit awkward for him when I quietly picked up my pool cues from the trunk and followed him straight into the pool-hall -- he obviously didn't except that we would end up under the same roof and also seeing that I kind of "belonged" there.

I didn't think more about this as my practice time went about. But then, a few hours later, when I discover that the burly brute and his posse were checked out, it dawns on me that he might have done something to my car. So I run out to discover that the alarm was triggered and the car was covered with spit loogies. What a class act.

It's funny (not "ha-ha-funny" but "strange-funny") that envy, or whatever it is, can drive certain people to act like this, unprovoked. Hopefully he didn't also key the car -- tomorrow's daylight will tell.
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:11 AM   #39

That is terrible ... were the same people there as before? Is this place a rough neighbourhood? Maybe try another pool hall? I don't know, but for me this type of vandalism and disrespect would be enough for me to warrant finding somewhere else to go.

Hope you have better luck with this kind of stuff Peer.
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 AM   #40

Why does one buy a PCar?

I think that there are people who buy PCars for the way they handle and drive. Some buy them for the way they look. But some buy them for the status. I believe it is those people who do things like call the Boxster a Chickster or look down their noses at 914s or 944s or non GT3s/ They are silly folks whose own esteem is derived from the car. They play the status game by putting down other's cars. Very silly. Luckily I have found those people in the minority among Porsche owners.

I was recently at a Corvette club autocross and happily most of the 'vette owners were very complimentary about my non-vette. Real car people can enjoy and respect other car people and their cars. Phonies cannot.

Regards,
Alan

renzop is offline   Reply With Quote