Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #41

I have a big NRA Life Member sticker on each of my side windows....

Old 07-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #42
FIG

My Parking Option List

1. If the carpark is reasonably empty......
Take 2 spots!

2. Find a spot next to a pole, and park as close as possible to it (usually gives plenty of room both sides then)

3. Find a spot next to another high end car which is clean and not damaged (usually means the owner is also careful?)

4. Get angry and Leave!
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:02 AM   #43

I used to live in an apartment, and I hated parking my boxster in the open parking lot. other stupid tenants would park so close to my boxster. thank goodness i never got a scratch from there. There was this one hella annoying person who used to back her chevy suburban into the space next to my boxster, and her annoying kids would swing open there doors getting out!!

now I've moved into a townhome with a 2 car garage, so now my wife and I have covered protected parking. yea! (she has a 2008 eclipse GT V-6 6-speed manual)
maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs
alpine headunit in custom center console
red/clear LED tail lights
mchi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #44

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I always love when I can get one of these spots, but it's quite often not an option.

If you can't tell by the picture, it's in a corner all by itself.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #45

You have a couple options here.

1: don't ever park you car in a public place.

2: Follow the golden rules mentioned that will reduce the chance of a problem.

3: Drive a honda, kia ect.

If you get a ding, it's not the end of the world....it's just a car and it can be fixed!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
I have a big NRA Life Member sticker on each of my side windows....
If you actually care about your car, you don't want political stickers on it.

I consider it a (very expensive) tool to get me places... quickly. Yeah, I'm waiting for my first ding and try to park prudently, but I can't obsess about it.

I drive a nice car for stress relief, and certainly don't need the added stress of worrying every time I park. So yeah, I look for a good spot and walk a bit, but it's gone from my mind once I turn on the alarm.
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #47

what about a ding on your hood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ
Just think of paintless dent repair (PDR) as maintenance. A hundered bucks or so once a year will keep things straight. Think of it as your cars chiropractor. I'm getting some PDR tomorrow.
Thaks for the info, so I continuously think about getting the ding removed from my hood, caused by a semi that passed me. Never got the license plate unfortunately, but anyway, how good are these shops? I got a quote to fix it (and it is very minor of a ding) for $600. I was told that they need to not only redo the hood paint and all that, but also the fender, because the hood is "more glossy" than the fender paint. I looked closely at it, and I did see the difference but realized that I wasn't willing to shell up 600 bucks for all that...
what do you think?
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:43 AM   #48

At work we have a small car park of eight spaces for staff / vans / customers.

For various reasons mine is the only car / van there today, it's pouring down rain and I've parked in my usual spot which is furthest away from the door. My regular car is getting serviced so I'd bought the Boxster with me today.

Without fail every customer car so far today has parked next to mine, ignoring the other empty spaces that are nearer the door.

I wonder why that is?

Is it some sort or herd mentality / safety in numbers type thing?

Mike
Manxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:51 AM   #49

gotta admit the wifey goes nuts with me and my parking..... 2 bays if there are 2....... and if not then as far away from everyone else that i can.........then i get from her " we may as well of caught the bus in " :-)
kegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #50

When ever I drive to work, I always back into a spot next to a car that is nosed in. I park further over so that our pasenger doors are fairly close. That leaves extra room for me and more importantly, the other driver who parks on my driver side. If you need to use the passenger door, all bets are off.
Ya, I know... sounds confusing. Think about it.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxie
Without fail every customer car so far today has parked next to mine, ignoring the other empty spaces that are nearer the door.
I didn't spend all day gazing out of the window, but I checked every time I heard a car pull up and all except one driver parked next to my car, even though the rest of the car park was empty and nearer the door

I don't understand it.
Manxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #52

My biggest peeve...
When I get the first spot and park over the line by a foot towards the store (on the side where there's yellow stripes etc). Nobody can park there so now you have a ton of room on the passenger side... then some idiot parks a foot over their own line. They are not looking at the lines but rather the proximity to the next car... I did that last week and sure enough some big old Caddie was right on top of me even though I was three feet off my line.
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #53

I park in a garage at work next to a 2 foot column with no spaces on the other side. Slice of Heaven. Boxsters don't even have those plastic side bumper rails that most ordinary cars have.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #54

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I saw a guy yesterday park a Mercedes S Class AMG completely slanted over the yellow line and into the next guy's space. That's just like asking for the car next to you to F up your car. I don't get it.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #55

just yesterday also

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
I saw a guy yesterday park a Mercedes S Class AMG completely slanted over the yellow line and into the next guy's space. That's just like asking for the car next to you to F up your car. I don't get it.
As I was returning to my car in a parking lot in a "dangerous area" (close to others), a guy came up to my car and parked very close to me...needless to say, I got the heck out of there fast before he opened his door! LOL true.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #56

Kegman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegman
gotta admit the wifey goes nuts with me and my parking..... 2 bays if there are 2....... and if not then as far away from everyone else that i can.........then i get from her " we may as well of caught the bus in " :-)
so true! I was in my car with a g/f and I parked really close to the curb in a parking lot...she had to virtually jump out of the car and stand on the curb area...not a really great way to impress a woman (she said it was okay, though, but did she really mean that?)
Old 08-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
You have a couple options here.

1: don't ever park you car in a public place.

2: Follow the golden rules mentioned that will reduce the chance of a problem.

3: Drive a honda, kia ect.

If you get a ding, it's not the end of the world....it's just a car and it can be fixed!
Or just get a motorcycle! BTW does Porsche make motorcycles? I have learned that Porsche makes bicycles, sooo....
Old 08-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #58

At home in the garage and at work on the street. New job so far so good now I drive with the mob going into the city every morning. I always fold the mirrors to avoid the accidental smashing of the side mirrors.