Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #21
Track rat

Garage
Blink,

A small lightweight motorcycle or scooter is a great way to get around at college. I had a Honda 100 during school and loved it. Zero parking problems, 80mpg, zero maint. issues and on sketchy nights like Halloween I just rolled it in my apt. for safe keeping.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #22

i agree with Nickcats... scooters = fat chicks.. hahahah
we cant let u do that- get a cheap sports bike, its more fun, and looks better...u know like the skinny chicks lol

but seriously If i was you id look into a sport bike
I used to have a Suzuki, it was good on gas, looked nice and it pretty fast and i got it for fairly cheap
or what about those mini crotch rockets...pocket bikes...theyre really cheap- my buddy got one for i think 500 bux, max speed is 50-55 i think and it looks a lot better then a scooter too!

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
What's up with all these set up fee bull?! Every dealer has a $300 set up fee.

On top of it you can't even test drive them for insurance purposes.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #24

try and find one locally from a private person..though craigslist maybe so you can avoid the dealer fees? Unless you want a brand new scooter..

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #25

Blink,

+ 1 on the Ninja 250 :

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=263&content=specifications

Great bike for $3500 !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #26

$1,500 for a classic like my little '74 Honda. Good on gas and cool too. Everytime I leave it outside, people bang on my door trying to buy it.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
What's up with all these set up fee bull?! Every dealer has a $300 set up fee.

On top of it you can't even test drive them for insurance purposes.
Every dealer has this stupid fee. I just bought a new dirt bike and every dealer I shopped has this fee. This is because most dirtbikes and scooters are so cheap that they do not make very much on them 25-100 profit. So they tack on this fee, some say it's a fee to put the bikes together from shipment. They also make most of their profits from accessories like helmets, gear etc.. If you want the best place for a new Honda, OTD Cycles in Oakland has the best deal no B.S. they only will quote you the Out the door price. I saved over 600 bucks buying from them. Also check out craigslist, they have some awesome deals there. Some shops will let you test drive them if you have a license (motorcycle).

The 250 Ninja that people is recommending is a great bike, very easy to ride and good on gas. If its your first bike and have not riden before, buy a used one that way you wont feel bad about dropping it etc...
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Blink,

+ 1 on the Ninja 250 :

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=263&content=specifications

Great bike for $3500 !

Nick
I won't get a bike. Way too dangerous for my taste. I'm also pretty sure my Mom would kick my a55 if she found out I got one. (she tripped when she found out I bought a fast convertible)

Besides insurance is a completely different scenario when I move above 50cc. I can insure a 50cc Scooter w/ $1million liability for $450/year under my name through AAA. It was already jumping to $800+/year for a 150cc scooter when I asked....I would hate to see what a motorcycle would be like. Kinda sucks to I have to keep my liability up to $1million,my Dad thinks I'm gonna get in an accident and someone is going to sue us for our house.

Driving by the gas station today and seeing how gas jumped to $4.13/gallon sure had me thinking of buying a scooter.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 04-10-2008 at 09:04 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxs2000
Every dealer has this stupid fee. I just bought a new dirt bike and every dealer I shopped has this fee. This is because most dirtbikes and scooters are so cheap that they do not make very much on them 25-100 profit. So they tack on this fee, some say it's a fee to put the bikes together from shipment. They also make most of their profits from accessories like helmets, gear etc.. If you want the best place for a new Honda, OTD Cycles in Oakland has the best deal no B.S. they only will quote you the Out the door price. I saved over 600 bucks buying from them. Also check out craigslist, they have some awesome deals there. Some shops will let you test drive them if you have a license (motorcycle).
Your the 2nd person to recommend me to Out The Door Motorsports.

I'm gonna call them tomorrow.*

*Update I just did their out-the-door quote.....$1.9k out the door,everything paid, including all applicable taxes, registration, and document fees. Not bad.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 04-10-2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Update
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #30

Another thing I'm noticing with scooters...

Kbb list the 07' Metro suggested retail value at $1500,but yet Honda's sight list 07' & 08' at $1900. Is that normal for these types of vehicles?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
$1,500 for a classic like my little '74 Honda. Good on gas and cool too. Everytime I leave it outside, people bang on my door trying to buy it.

I understand why. My first bike was a 69 Yamaha Twin Jet 100 2 stroke. The bike was a screamer and I would buy one today if I could find one in as nice a shape as yours.

Great bike.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #32

A scooter isn't going to be much less dangerous than a motorcycle...unless you count not being able to get on the freeway with it... ...and while nothing takes the place of your own self awareness of others, at least in Cali, the drivers are more aware of motorcyclists than many other places in the states, like here in Atlanta where if you're not looking then no one else is either...

The trick to finding cheaper insurance on a motorcycle is get to something without any fairings...like a Suzuki SV650 or and older Suzuki GS500... insurance goes down tremendously when the insurance company doesn't have to take into consideration replacing most/all the body work if you have an accident.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #33
Track rat

Garage
Blink,

I still have an original Honda C 70 out in the airplane hanger. It was a hand me down the we used to put-put around the airport for a while. The battery is probably flat now but it runs well. All original, gold, 3spd clutchless, elect start. It's in good shape but not nearly as pristine as Grizzly's CB. I'd probably let it go for $800 if you wanted it.

Looks like this:

http://www.vf750fd.com/blurbs/brochures/c70/c70_1.jpg
Old 04-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #34

I got one......all I can say are these are fun.

97' Honda Elite 80(80cc) w/ helmet and all paperwork. $650.

So do I or do I not need a license?
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21224.htm
Old 04-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #35

O.k. I stopped by 3 friend's houses to let them ride and check it out....they all love it and want one now.

I also raced my Dad in his 98.5' Jetta GT up to 40mph cause he was bombarding me with gay jokes.....he murdered me. All my neighbors and friends that were over got a kick out it though. I bet it looked funny as heck!

I've put 60 miles a 1.3gallon tank and the gas gauge isn't even halfway empty. I love it.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #36

Hey Blink,

Congrats!Where's the pics???

dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcporsche99
Hey Blink,

Congrats!Where's the pics???

Sorry I can't get any better pics but its been the same design from 85'-08'.

Here is mine

Factory photo for the 07'

Not much has changed. Lol same robotic design.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I got one......all I can say are these are fun.

97' Honda Elite 80(80cc) w/ helmet and all paperwork. $650.

So do I or do I not need a license?
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21224.htm
Congrats! Now get to an MSF Basic Riding Skills course!

The general rule of thumb is that if the scooter has any of the following, a Full Motorcycle Endorsement is needed for it's operation and must carry minimum levels of insurance:
  • Has a capacity exceeding 49cc

Exceeds a maximum of 2 Gross Brake Horsepower

Is capable of speeds in excess of 29MPH on a flat surface

Cali rules differ slightly. Capacity under 149cc classifies it as a Motor-driven Cycle:

MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLES
A motor-driven cycle is:
• A motorcycle with a 149 cc or less engine size.
NOTE: You may not operate a motor-driven cycle on a freeway if signs are posted to prohibit motor-driven cycle operation.

Check out the California Motorcycle Handbook: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf

At 80cc, you're gonna need either an M1 or M2 endorsement.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 04-13-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:24 AM   #39

Yes, in CA, your 80CC scooter would require a MC license.

49CC you do not.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #40

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Review
Revvy and racy in a bite-sized package
By Alice Sexton, Feb. 20, 2008, Photography by Adam Campbell

lo-band | hi-bandThe year was 1988 and I was standing at the entrance of Coleman Powersports in Arlington, VA, looking at a sea of chrome, plastic and metal. I’d bought my first bike there and after one summer and 3,000 miles on a 200cc machine, I was ready to move up. Right smack in front of me were two black and red sportbikes that looked more like Samurai blades than anything else. The Ninja 250 and the Ninja 600 parked nose-to-nose made my heart race with thoughts of screaming past the DC police at 3 am on my way home from a night of slam dancing at the 9:30 Club. I sat on both, decided that with thirty-five dollars and only a six-pack to my name, I couldn’t afford the 600. And why buy a 250 when I was moving up from a 200cc bike?
Fast forward 20 years and I’m swinging my leg over a bright red (just like my hair) 2008 Ninja 250R ready for a road test. There are so many new aspects to the 2008; it’s hard to know where to start. First and foremost, this little screamer doesn’t even look like a 250. The new sleek and contemporary body styling more closely mirrors that of the 600 model. Kawasaki wisely left off the 250 sticker, so only a true bike-ofile would know the difference. There’s a new windscreen, new 2-into-1 exhaust with single canister and a new two-piece seat with optional rear seat cowl ($99.95) to finish off the sporty look. Wow.

The updated and overhauled Ninja 250R looks every bit the part of the bigger Ninjas.

At 5-foot-1, the new 30.5-inch seat height had me on my tippy-toes, but the bike is so light (reported 333 lbs. dry, up nearly 30 lbs) this was hardly a concern. The narrow seat certainly helps those of us who belong to the inseam-challenged group or the new rider who feels most comfortable with both feet down. Kawasaki research indicates that 62% of Ninja 250 owners are new riders, and 33% of that group is women. Being able to plant both feet firmly on the ground is one of the most cited concerns for all beginning riders who are purchasing their first bike.

Once in the saddle, the seating position is a tad sportier and more forward sloping than before, but still quite upright with an easy, comfortable reach to the high and wide bars. This makes a trip through city traffic much easier than one might be if reaching for low-slung clip-ons. Reach from seat to footpegs was so comfortable I had to make myself take note. Levers are easy to command and the feel is quick and responsive. The clutch engaged rather far out, but even with my 2.5-percentile hand, I had no problems.

New for 2008 is a large speedo right in the center, with a tach to the left and new gas gauge to the right. Apparently a gas gauge is important to Ninja 250 owners, so now they have a big juicy one. At first I thought I would miss the center tach, as my last experience with the previous model was thumb-wrestling riders at a Kawasaki-sponsored trackday to see who would get to ride the screamin' little 250s. Keeping an eye on revs is crucial when trying to ride as fast as you can on the track, not so for street riding, which is the most common use of the 250. Big speedo, good. Gas gauge, better.

Most new riders needn't be concerned with engine temps, but running out of petrol might freak them out! Kawi did away with the temp gauge in favor of a very practical fuel gauge.

The quarter-liter Ninja turns quickly and with seemingly little effort, making it loads of fun through tight twisty canyons.

There are so many improvements to the 2008 250R it gets difficult to focus on what might be the one best change-up, but perhaps the most important upgrade is the move up to 17-inch wheels. I never had much trouble finding 16-inch rubber for the old bike because I knew where to look, but my test group seemed to agree that the new six-spoke wheels, wider rims and more accessible modern tire selection was at the top of the list, with an A+ for more neutral handling at low and high speeds. The new and larger 290mm front and 220mm rear petal-style rotors with dual-piston calipers give the ’08 250 much improved and noticeably more sportbike-like stopping power.

For me the most notable improvement is the suspension. I’ve put plenty of miles on the previous model and the ride always had an uncertain soft feeling. A 37mm Showa (36mm on previous model) front fork and a new Kayaba rear shock with five-way adjustable pre-load make for a stiffer and more precise, crisp ride. Surely adding to this stability is the improved chassis with diamond-type frame. The 26-degree rake angle is 1 degree steeper than the old 250, so the quarter-liter Ninja turns quickly and with seemingly little effort, making it loads of fun through tight twisty canyons.

Rounding out all of the improvements that make this little Ninja feel like a big bike is the newly engineered 249cc parallel-Twin motor. Although it’s based on the previous engine, Kawi says 70% of it has been re-designed, including new cams and a revised cylinder head, to result in a claimed 30% bump in mid-range power. Dual Keihin carburetors were fitted instead of a fuel-injection system. Fuel injection, although standard on the European models, would have pushed the sales price above the $4000 threshold where the American market allegedly draws the line. The Ninja’s powerplant engineer, Kozo Arai (no not the helmet guy!), was on hand to oversee our test rides, and although he spoke absolutely no English, he did show me his club-racing license from Japan where he competes on a ZX-10R, so you know the right guy was working on this project!

Weighing quite a bit less than the average test rider in our group, I had no problems with acceleration. Throttle response was even and predictable, another big plus for beginners. The bike seemed most happy at a steady 8-9 grand in every gear. I rode the little Ninja right up to redline in every gear and it pulled steadily all the way through. The best part was that I couldn’t even scare myself – I was laughing like a crazy maniac!

62% of Ninja 250 owners are new riders, and 33% of that group is women.

Since its inception in 1986, the Ninja 250 has been among the best-selling bikes in Kawasaki’s line up. In fact, Kawi sold more little Ninjas in 2007 than anything else in its lineup! Most buyers are beginners, but many keep the highly fuel-efficient little Ninja for commuting. The 2008 version claims 50 mpg from its 4.8-gallon tank. After 100 miles of city, freeway and canyon riding, I still had well over half a tank on the dial.

Read all of the statistics you want, the new Ninja 250R is just a flat-out blast to ride. Wind it up and let it go, it screams and howls like a factory racer. It’s sleek, sporty, and has a big bike feel without the struggle or the price tag. I was so busy having fun that I barely noticed the bike beneath me and had to force myself to focus on testing the components.

While the new Ninja 250R has been a favorite among beginners, this new version was also designed to capture the heart of the more aggressive, mature rider. And, at an MSRP of just $3499 it’s right on the money.

Alice Sexton is Director of Communications with the American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association (AHRMA), and has been riding motorcycles for 20 years.

Related Reading