View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #10
Lil bastard

I'm an MSF Instructor. I teach both the Basic Rider Skills and the Advanced Skills Courses at a local community college. IMHO, the MSF Basic Rider Skills course is an absolute MUST for anyone using any two-wheeled vehicles.

We're seeing an increasing number of scooter riders in the BRS courses. There are many good ones out there, and some not so good ones, especially from the PRC and Viet Nam.

The one thing I've heard about the Hondas si that they are more prone to be stolen than some others. IIRC, they lack any kind of Interlock or Anti-theft devices, making them targets. Other than that, I believe they're good scoots, though if it were me, I'd look at some of the modern vespas or piaggios. Some of these, like the BV500 from piaggio are highway/freeway capable, which I think makes it more versatile.

The MSF also offers a Scooter Course, but this is aimed primarily for Moped Riders - <50cc. This Course does not substitute for the State Road test as the BRS Course does.

In addition to instructors, we're also State Deputy Registrars and use the last hour of the BRS Course to conduct a State sanctioned Road Test for each student.

In my state, registering for the Road Test at a state licensing facility can wait list you for almost 9 mos., while the waiting list for the BRS Course is usually 1 mo. or less, so this makes taking the MSF course more attractive. Also, minors under 18 must take the BRS Course in order to earn their endorsement.

After a student passes their test during the course, we sign and stamp their state permit form certifying that they have met the state testing requirements, after which the student need only visit a state license clerk and pay the $11 state fee to get their license or endorsement, avoiding the State Road Test altogether.

The BRS Course is conducted over a long weekend with a 3-hour Thursday evening classroom session, followed by two 4-hour Road sessions the following Saturday and Sunday in the roped off parking lot. You must have passed the written state test and received a Learners Permit before starting the BRS Course. You must also have the appropriate Safety gear in order to attend the Road sessions - DOT approved Helmet, eye protection, gloves, long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and footwear which covers the ankles.

We watch the students over 8 hrs. of riding and concentrate on those skills required in the state test. We pass about 86% of all students. One advantage for the student is that we tend to mark them on what we've seen during the entire session, not just a single maneuver. But, we also caution the students that receiving their endorsements is only the beginning of their learning curve - that they will now continue to learn on their own for several years.

Other advantages of the MSF course is that most Ins. Cos. offer a discount if you are MSF endorsed and many motorcycle shops offer a 10% discount on all parts, service and accessories, just by showing them your MSF course completion card which you receive at the end of the course. This alone assures that most will recoup the $160 fee for the course.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote