Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #1

Do they make an air filter that attaches directly to the MAF

Guys,
On the 911 you can buy an after market high-flow filter that attaches directly to the MAF sensor. Is there something similar for the Boxster? The reason that I ask is if I fully understand desnorkling you remove the air tube to the MAF and if you do this aren't you running w/o an filter element or do I not fully understand desnorkling?

I'm concerned about desnorkling and not having a filter element before the MAF sensor and if they have this for the 911 why not the Boxster? Make sense?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Steve

chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowndad
Guys,
On the 911 you can buy an after market high-flow filter that attaches directly to the MAF sensor. Is there something similar for the Boxster? The reason that I ask is if I fully understand desnorkling you remove the air tube to the MAF and if you do this aren't you running w/o an filter element or do I not fully understand desnorkling?

I'm concerned about desnorkling and not having a filter element before the MAF sensor and if they have this for the 911 why not the Boxster? Make sense?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Steve
Steve, I think you have a slight misunderstanding of the desnorkeling. The 'desnorkling' is before the airbox/filter and maf. When you desnorkle, the stock airbox and air filter are left alone.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #3

The MAF cannot be filtered. It lives directly in the airstream of the intake in order to sense the mass of air flowing to the engine so the DME can supply the correct amount of fuel and spark.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #4

hmmm

So I guess I don't fully understand desnorkling... Is desnorkling the process of removing the tube that runs from the air box to the intake throtte body?

If you remove this tube, how do you filter the incoming air to the throttle body and MAF? If you remove this are you running the air unfiltered to the throttle body?

Confused,
-Steve
Old 04-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #5

Desnorkling affects ZERO Between the airfilter and the maf

It DOES remove a tube between the AIR FILTER housing and the OUTSIDE FRESH AIR vent, located behind the driver's door. You remove the vent and you will find a "mass" of plastic tubing. That is where the desnorkling occurs.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowndad
So I guess I don't fully understand desnorkling... Is desnorkling the process of removing the tube that runs from the air box to the intake throtte body?

If you remove this tube, how do you filter the incoming air to the throttle body and MAF? If you remove this are you running the air unfiltered to the throttle body?

Confused,
-Steve

Steve, maybe this will help clear things up just a bit for you:

Outside air --> side vent --> Snorkel tube (to be removed) --> Air Box/Air Filter --> MAF/Intake tubing --> Throttle body/plenum --> Intake Manifold

This is the simplified general idea, though hopefully you can visualize slightly with this in mind.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #7

Thanks guys

Thanks guys, I think I have a better understanding now...

I appreciate the insight.

-Steve
Old 04-05-2008, 01:11 AM   #8

holy cow patties for those that still dont get it

dude...look at the "diagram" below for the very lamen, basic idea...

BEFORE HIGH-TECH STATE OF THE ART DESNORKEL PROCEDURE:

{outside of the whole car}--->THE SNORKEL--->air filter--->tube w/sensor--->
and on to the engine

AFTER HIGH-TECH STATE OF THE ART DESNORKEL PROCEDURE:

{outside of the whole car}--->air filter--->tube w/sensor--->
and on to the engine

since this is the coolest mod on a porsche, other than "modding" from a boxster to a 911 twin turbo, can we put this diagram on the home front page with a picture of me standing in flippers and a half-snorkel...you know...to represent the part that got "desnorkeled"...that would be cool.

Last edited by ut_cougar; 04-05-2008 at 01:18 AM.
ut_cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:58 AM   #9

I get it thanks!

I get it thanks. I was thinking that the snorkel is the long tube with the sensor but I've only looked at the engine once so that's why I didn't understand it fully. I appreciate everyones help!

Thanks again.

-Steve