Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #21

So far just myself. My wife will get to drive it soon. I think.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #22

It's my daily driver, but my wife not only drives the boxster, she is my co-driver when we autocross. And I have several other autocross club friends I will let drive my cars.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #23

I let my mother and father drive my boxster. In fact, I lent it to them for the winter and have been without it for almost THREE MONTHS. I will be picking it up again in a month and I can't wait.

Funny, my dad does not drive it very much - I have to get on his case to make him drive it once per week. Uggg. At least thats better than letting it sit around all winter.

I was hoping the sportscar/convertible "experience" could turn him to the dark side and I could convince him to get a maserati or something cool like that. Looks like my plan failed!
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #24

me - 90%, she - 10% total - about 3k/yr.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #25

I hear you on the low shifting.. My fiance said she knew how to shift and her dad told her always to shift below 2.5k. Well please not on my car.

She now finally has a car and she told me I can't drive it.. Fine I drive mine and you drive yours. By the time she reached her destination I have had a or two

*youth is wasted on the young*

Photos of my Boxster S

Painted center console, artic silver
, De Snorkle, 18" Carrera lightweight - 285-30-18 - Fabspeed Exhaust

http://www.cristopherbenitah.com/boxster.jpg
cbenitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Well, I've only had mine three days so far, and only I've driven it. I took my dad for a ride and that's the only person who's even ridden in it yet. Nobody really seems all that interested. Now, my brother has some coworkers that have been wanting to see it though.

I would let my parents or my brother drive it, but I honestly don't think they want to. Beyond my family, I'd be willing to let another person drive it who has a respect for it and can afford to fix it if they mess it up. I'd also be willing to let a friend drive it if I drink too much, which happens on rare occasions.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:17 PM   #27

I've only had a friend drive it once as my wife doesn't know how to drive a manual yet.
Chris
Old 03-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #28

My wife will drive my car, when I have had too much to drink She then gets mad at me because I need to tell her ahead of time that she is gonna drive as she likes to wear the right shoes for it. Also she is always telling me to slow down, but when she drives she starts racing people. She did not like it when I put on the ssk as she is still not use to shifting quickly from 2nd to 3rd, I don't want her to get use to it as she will keep asking me to borrow my car.
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #29

Let my dad drive it once when I purchased the car, my brother twice (upon purchase and after my header install), and then, it's only been MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Thank goodness! :dance:
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxs2000
My wife will drive my car, when I have had too much to drink She then gets mad at me because I need to tell her ahead of time that she is gonna drive as she likes to wear the right shoes for it. Also she is always telling me to slow down, but when she drives she starts racing people. She did not like it when I put on the ssk as she is still not use to shifting quickly from 2nd to 3rd, I don't want her to get use to it as she will keep asking me to borrow my car.

I have discovered that about 90% of the shoes in my closet are not the "right" shoes for this car. Today I drove to work barefoot.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #31

hmmm

i bought the car for the wife.......i drive it!!?!?!? until she HAS to drive it, then i can't get her out of it !?!? ....i'm confused!!!!
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #32
pk2

As Bill Murrey put it in What about Bob “there are two types of people in the world, those that like Niel Diamond and those that don't, my x-wife likes like Neil Diamond”.

Well we actually both don't care for Neil and so she's still around, but she couldn't give a rats @$# about my Boxster. I changed my wheels from black to silver, then proudly asked her what she thought, she said “ what am I looking at ?"

So, until my 3 yr. old takes the initiative (got to get him watching Speedvision) I'm alone in my adoration.

Regards, PK

Last edited by pk2; 03-25-2008 at 10:18 AM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #33

I don't let others drive it, or my previous S/C Miata because I know how I would feel if I were driving someone else's baby and something unfortunate happened. It isn't like my daughter's Saturn or my Acura.
My SO refuses to own anything but a manual - hence her '05 Legacy GT. Around town she short shifts ( ) and leaves her foot in at red lights (more cringing) all the time. I have stopped saying anything, because when I did she just gave me "the look" and reminded me that she had 100,000 on her Toyota when she sold it, and then 100k+ on the Maxima.
Having said that though, when she wants to move on down the road, or pass on the thruway - Yikes - she knows what the turbo is for - and I love the smile!
Hafta see what this Summer brings for the Boxster.
CT986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #34

I have let my dad drive it after I got it as he let me learn to drive manual on his RX-7 when I just starting driving. Only other person to drive it was my brother-in-law, which resulted in him buying a boxster himself after always wanting a corvette!
ancster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #35

seems like most of our dad's were the first or only drivers. that is the case with my boxster also.

i screwed up my first night with the car. i met some of my friends at night and pretty much forced my friend to drive it around the block. well we were in a housing complex and he took it around the complex and back. i asked why he didnt take it to the road and ripppp it. he was drunkkkkkkkkk!!!!!! dam!!!!! well atleast he didnt take it for a drive. he told me that he barely even took it out of 1st gear....
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #36

So far me and only me. We have a road trip to Yosemite coming up in June which will mean either spending the night somewhere in between or letting my g/f learn stick all over again to make it in one day.
I think a hotel room will be cheaper than a new transmission though... easy choice
Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #37

Interesting thread.

I do not mind letting others drive it as long as they know what they are doing. My wife is very good with manuals..... funny thing, she does not like my Boxster too much. She thinks is sits too low, sprung too aggresively and not comfortable enough. She does not mind it too much when it is sunny and warm and I am driving.

This leaves me more driving time for me, myself and I.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:52 PM   #38
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
I have discovered that about 90% of the shoes in my closet are not the "right" shoes for this car. Today I drove to work barefoot.
What are the wrong shoes? I like driving with heels and 'platforms'. Flats are OK, but i have to be closer to the steering wheel.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #39
FTD

I wanted to spend some time goofing around in the mountain twisties one Sunday. My [former] boyfriend grudgingly consented to go. A third of the way, I gave him the key. He never gave the driving back to me, and complained the whole time about EVERY thing [fit, visibility, a German word on a display, etc.] What a jerk. I could have had FUN. My nephews want to drive it, but they have to learn manual shift so it will be a while. I let two enthusiasic friends drive it. They were appreciative and had a blast. I like driving cars, and appreciate anyone that will let me at the wheel of their cool ride, so I like to share the same opportunity.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #40

[QUOTE=cheetah
This is the only person who has driven my Boxster S.[/QUOTE]

Hey Cheetah,

Does your friend or her friend want to drive my LE?

Smokin' hot.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote