986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Who Drives Your Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15983-who-drives-your-boxster.html)

edevlin 03-24-2008 11:15 AM

Who Drives Your Boxster?

I went to town with my wife the other day and I encouraged her to drive my Boxster I could be sure she was familar with the car if she ever need to drive it. Even though she has driven a manual transmission for years, she did a pretty poor job of it, I was cringing when she tried shifting below 2K. I also let my son drive my boxster when I am with him, he normally can drive it properly. It got me to wondering who others allow to drive their Boxsters.

Ed

:cheers:

nola911 03-24-2008 11:24 AM

My wife tried one time, a year ago. I was a good sport and kept my mouth shut as I was bouncing like a bronco.. She saw the stress in my eyes and hasn't asked to drive it again.

I think we will try again soon, it would be a great car for her to play with if she can learn it.

TriGem2k 03-24-2008 11:31 AM

Me, Me, & ummm Me.

Not my Father, Not my Mother, Not my Brother, Not my Sister.

If that was the only car left at home and one of them needed to go somewhere they know to call a cab instead. I have trained them all well.

Oh and in case of emergency dial 9-1-1.

Topless 03-24-2008 11:37 AM

My wife is a very capable Box driver and will take it on occasion to "arrive at parties".
Otherwise she says it's too firm and sporty so she prefers the Lexus.

Sloan 03-24-2008 11:39 AM

So far ....

My experience was somewhat similar, in that I encouraged my wife to give it a try, but she did not seem too comfortable with it. The funny part: I selected a Tiptronic with her in mind (as well as the traffic jams here) but I think it was the low-slung seating position and no roof that had her 'off-balance'. This try was within a week or so of the purchase (a few weeks ago). It was only after that experience that she realized she had never even been in a convertible (She's from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and now that I think of it, I don't think I've even seen a convertible in all the times I've visted there....).

It did not help that there must have been some LEO action going on in the industrial area that I had her driving, and there were marked cars seemingly around every corner, which, when coupled with my 'instruction', made her more than a litte nervous ...

Bad Company 03-24-2008 11:46 AM

My wife will not since it is a manual transmission. The only other body behind the steering wheel was a friend I have known since highschool

super66 03-24-2008 12:43 PM

my wife drives the box.....she prefers her murano but she's gotten pretty good on the box, the first time out she literally gave me motion sickness

DarthRaider 03-24-2008 01:05 PM

We have a 2000 Vette and a Boxter S. They are both equally fun to drive. It just depends on which car has more gas in it. . .I think you guys see where I'm going here and which car I'm left with!!

RandallNeighbour 03-24-2008 01:15 PM

The only person I gladly allow to drive my car is Mark (Houston_C4S). He drives my car better than I do and he lets me drive his new 987S anytime I like as well.

That's my short list. Everyone else makes me nervous because they have curb-rashed the rims; almost killed us by getting on the freeway too slowly (petrofied driving a Porsche for the first time); drove it like they stole it (with me in the passenger seat no less); or killed the motor so many times that I had to tell them to get out or I was going to lose my sanity and my savings to Hans if they continued doing what they were doing.

Chills 03-24-2008 01:17 PM

Its funny this thread came up. I took my wife for her second Box session yesterday. She did okay starting and stopping at first, but then stalled out and lost some confidence in starting out.

She did enjoy turning sharply, though, and shifting gears. I also made her go in reverse a couple of times so she's used to where R is.

I think she'll really like driving it once she's comfortable with starting from a stop.

I've also let my dad drive it. He had a 911 Targa back in the 80's when I was a kid, and a 944 before that, and a 924 before that.

We had to go run an errand and I asked if he wanted to drive it (my 986S). I then turned to put my shoes on and when I turned back he was already in the car starting it up. We drove some cloverleaves and he kept the RPMs between 4k and 5k... and had a huge kid-in-a-candy store smile the whole time. :D

gmboxster 03-24-2008 02:14 PM

HA , HA . I had to laugh when I saw this question. I don't even like another person in the passenger seat. I hope some of you will understand that,, lol. But seriously no one gets behind the wheel but me. When I was shopping for my box I tried to get my brother to drive it but he declined ( go figure ) . Since then it's been only me that gets to caress that baby. :p

Rob-00BoxsterS 03-24-2008 02:37 PM

My wife hates driving the 911SC, doesn't like to drive the 300ZX turbo, doesn't care either way about my BMW, and absolutely loves to drive the Boxster S. All are sticks; she prefers and drives an auto.

When my wife's parents visit every year or any of my close friends visit, they have their choice in any car they want to take (they almost always take the BMW or the wife's Disco because they think it is the cars we care the least about.)

The funny thing is, though, if I were to get upset about losing one of the cars, it would be the one that is worth the least (the 300ZX turbo - because I have owned it for over 20 years and it still has the original paint.)

They way I look at it, my close friends and family are way more important to me than any car could be.

husker boxster 03-24-2008 03:37 PM

My older brother, younger sister, and 75 yr old mother all drove my 01S. I think my Mom particulary enjoyed driving it because it gave her bragging rights and a great story to tell at her social functions. She did stall it once but I can't really fault her because it takes some practice to know what gear you're in with that 6spd slush box in the 01.

I recently let a golf friend of mine drive my LE. He owns a C4 Corvette and takes immaculate care of it and his golf clubs. I knew he wouldn't drive it like he stole it. When the weather gets nicer (it has to eventually), I'm going to see if Mom wants to drive Punkin. She doesn't like my LE but I think I can win her over with the extra 45HP and the silky smooth 6spd.

While I won't just let anyone drive my Boxster, it's still just a car. And imagine the thrill you can provide by letting someone drive their first and maybe only Porsche. They will remember that 15 min for the rest of their lives.

Bitter Gnat 03-24-2008 03:55 PM

I bought my Box last July. Had it three days before I went off on a two week business trip. Came back and found the wife had put 400+ miles on it!

I must add that she is a great driver and enjoys the car just as much as I do. She steers the hell out of all our racing sailboats as well! That's why I married her.

Bob O 03-24-2008 04:08 PM

My wife adored the 911 SC and occasionally drove it to work. She's less fond of the box (????? I'm totally confused by that one but that's what she says), but has taken it to work a couple of times too. She'd rather sit in the passenger seat I think. Fine with me! OH... and my soon to be 20 yo son. I let him take it to three proms. He detailed it (rather well I might add..ok, he had a little help), and I had him totally convinced that I could download the computer readout from the car and tell how fast he went, the rpms he hit, etc. So I'm pretty sure he kept it under him. Darn it all.. he's now an engineering student in mechanical engineering and I don't think I can get away with that one any more. But I did promise him I'd take him with me to the track this year and he could be a second driver. YIKES! I won't be able to watch.

Bob

CJ_Boxster 03-24-2008 04:20 PM

Well once I let my father drive it and told him the only rule is no smoking in the car in no way shape or form, when i got it back, He smoked in it and did a half ass job of hiding... there was ash on the outide part of the drivers door that didnt blow away in the wind and afew spots of ash on the steering wheel horn pad... I told him he could never drive anything of mine again.

Then i let my brother "Drive it around the block" on thanksgiving day 2 years ago and about 1hr later when i remembered he should have been back 59 minutes ago, I give him a call and he answers his phone by saying "What do you want?".... I ask him where he is, and he replies with Im at my friends house (10 miles away), he says this in a tone of voice as if im bothering him, I asked him to get his ass back NOW. He does and I hear him arrive cause i can hear the engine racing up the street. Now he and his children and childrens children are permanetly banned from driving anything I have... even a Riding Mower.

I told him, "Your actions are why you drive Honda CRX and lesser cars". :mad:

rick3000 03-24-2008 04:20 PM

Mostly Me!

But I have let my sister and dad drive it. My mom can drive a manual well, but she sits with the clutch pushed in during stop lights which drives me nuts.
And although many of my friends have asked, I always say no, because none of them know how to drive a manual, plus I don't trust them with my car.

CJ_Boxster 03-24-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000
Mostly Me!

But I have let my sister and dad drive it. My mom can drive a manual well, but she sits with the clutch pushed in during stop lights which drives me nuts.
And although many of my friends have asked, I always say no, because none of them know how to drive a manual, plus I don't trust them with my car.

I use to do that but then I didnt want to have a normal looking right leg and a totally ripped and toned left calve haha

blinkwatt 03-24-2008 04:34 PM

Me.

I let me Dad drive it once.....out of the driveway.

HB. 03-24-2008 04:53 PM

I let my girlfriend take mine 1 day a week. I have no worries of her driving it.