Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #1

caulk the windstop

okay, my apolgies. i don't remember who did this first. last weekend i ran a bead of silicone around the windstop because it was rattlin'. it worked like a charm! no more noise. i'm going to do the inserts next. the added feature is that it'll make it that much harder for the thieves to steal these items.

silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #2

My headrest inserts are rattling like a SOB.
You just using clear silicone for the job and wrapping it around the whole grill?

I've heard of other people using double sided tape - but wondering which would work best???
pcar-yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #3

I used some black foam insulation tape from Home Depot. Just cut a few pieces about 1/2" square and put it on the tabs. It provided just enough tension to keep them quiet and make a snug fit.

I also recommend getting a few thin black zip ties to secure them discreetly to the roll bar around the bottom. These things have a way of walking off if you leave your car unattended with the top down.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #4

Good call on the ties.....I'll definately take your advice on that one.

Parking in downtown Vancouver, people will break into your car just to take your empty water bottle so they can collect the recycling fee!!
pcar-yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #5

Zip ties are one of the best things ever invented. Good tip, took the boxty out after the weekend blizzard, top down, 58F loving every minute of the drive. Pulled into the driveway and my passenger headrest screen was gone. Good news, it popped out and fell down on the back sill and was covered up by the top. I love this car. Oh by the way, I desnorkled it right before the drive and I am still smiling...what a sound!!!
60drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #6

I zip tied mine after losing one on the interstate at 75mph.

I recommend zipping yours this coming weekend.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar-yvr
Good call on the ties.....I'll definately take your advice on that one.

Parking in downtown Vancouver, people will break into your car just to take your empty water bottle so they can collect the recycling fee!!
Yea, that's one of the problems with recycling... lol

True Story: NPR, but humorous.

Speaking of recycling, when I was in college (in the Land before Time), my Fraternity (ATO) was looking for ways of raising it's Beer Budget for the semester.

Typically, this had consisted of puttin' the bite on all the Brothers, and invariably, the biggest drinkers were always the smallest contributors - imagine that!

I was bagging groceries part-time at a large Supermarket and one day overheard the Store Manager say that the deposit on returnable Pop bottles was being raised in 2 weeks from $0.05 to $0.10 (I told you it was in the Land before Time).

Anyway, we managed to shakedown the membership to come up with $1,600, and spent the next 2 weeks invading every grocery store in the city to buy empty Pop bottles for a nickel apiece for a supposed Cub Scout project (that was our cover story - who doesn't want to assist the Cub Scouts?).

We ended up with 32,000 empty Pop bottles. We had em stacked in the halls, the Living Room, and 4 out of the 7 Shower Stalls. I mean, they were everywhere - you can't imagine the space required to store 32,000 pop bottles.

When the switchover took place, just as predicted, we returned all 32,000 Pop bottles for $0.10@ yielding a $1,600 profit after paying back all the initial investors - a first. Turned out to be the largest semester Beer Fund in that Chapter's history. Not to mention raising me to legendary status amongst the campus' Greeks.

Who knew? I discovered insider trading long before Ivan Boesky

BTW, I'm in the double-sided foam tape camp.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-17-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #8

double sided foam tape and zip ties on the inserts! I cut about a 7" very thin strip and put one on both sides and up toward the clips. drop the windstop back in, slight pressure down and you are set for about 6 months. I took a few small pieces and put them on the tabs of the inserts as well, then added the zip tie- no more problems...

lapis986 is offline   Reply With Quote