Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
heres something for those that would like to see what this would look like:

Does the GT3 have their turn signal there? Or is it only a fog light? Haven't really figured out the turn signal. If that is the case, for the ones that needs the light, go a head a route your fog light and turn signal that way. Or be over kill and have both. Or you could have a non functional light..

Either way it is your car, do with it what you please. I am the same and if you don't like it someone else will. I really like this bumper though. Some like the Turbo bumper or old GT3, I do not. Just a matter of personal taste..

At the end of the day we are still driving the (somewhat) same car, and that is what we have in common..

*youth is wasted on the young*

Photos of my Boxster S

Painted center console, artic silver
, De Snorkle, 18" Carrera lightweight - 285-30-18 - Fabspeed Exhaust

http://www.cristopherbenitah.com/boxster.jpg
cbenitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #42

Been trying to look at these pics for two days, filters were blocking me.

I thought this was a bad idea at first because I figured you were going to replace the fried eggs with those VW bug lights on the 997. I HATE those lights...
And even if you had told me your keeping the frieg eggs but adding the 997 GT3 bumper, I would have still said it was a bad idea.

but looking at the photos I can say I was wrong. It came out very well, definitely a head turner and goes well with the hard edge of the wheel design, but I think you need more robust skirting since it's no longer a subtle and fluid design. The 986 GT2 bumper doesn't really do it for me unless its with the 02-04 996 Turbo lights, this GT3 look is much better. I can tell just by looking at the photos that you used a a high end shop or one does very good work. I hate it when I see all these cars with kits and the paint work is crap and there are gaps in the aero.

p.s.
I think skipping the lights on the bumper was a good idea. Although it would be more "complete" with actual lights there, I don't think that juxtaposition of rectangular lights beneath round lights works on the 997 GT3 at all. To me it looks like a mish mash of a VW Bug-Mazda Rx8 or one worse.. one of those riced out S2000 body kits with six sets of blue headlights. Maybe photoshop those rectangular covers in black? might work as just a design element.

p.s.s.
Deamber those Litronics!!!!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
heres something for those that would like to see what this would look like:
That doesn't look bad. I just have a hard time with those shapes so close together. The more I see it, the more I like it. Like said I can always add them later. They aren't cheap. $199.00 per side! Then you have to fugure out the wirring. The main thing that bothers me is seeing the black inside the 997 fog lights, they don't match our silver & chrome inside the headlights. Now if they could both match the color on the inside it would look cool.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #44
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am sure you could figure out the wiring. Maybe this would help: http://wa4ekg.home.att.net/996mods/sidemarkermod.html

Also, this is a bit off topic, but where did you get those red tail light spikes? I really like the way they look, they're a lot like the 550.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #45
HB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
You can add the lights to this bumper. But trust me all that glas does not work with the shape of our headlights. It works great with the shape of the round 997 stock ones. And like I said if you want them completely deleted, you can buy the one sold at NR Auto.

Thanks for letting me know

I looked up the website you said you purchased the bumper from, but didn't see it available. Maybe I missed this, but how much does it run? I agree that the 997 oval lights would look better, but DJ's chop didn't look bad at all.
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #46

How hard was it to get a colour match? I did the turbo bumper and I find that the colour is off depending on which angle you look and at what light. Also, there isn't a smooth transition between the bumper's angle and the hood's angle, so that may have affected it.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000

Also, this is a bit off topic, but where did you get those red tail light spikes? I really like the way they look, they're a lot like the 550.
I made them on my computer. Its another one of my custom jobs. They are 550 spyder racing stripes. I got the idea after seeing RUF's version of their 550 Spyder Kompressor.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoreric
How hard was it to get a colour match? I did the turbo bumper and I find that the colour is off depending on which angle you look and at what light. Also, there isn't a smooth transition between the bumper's angle and the hood's angle, so that may have affected it.
Well the shop I used was really good. So I can only give them all of the credit. The best way to color match any bumper is to either leave the whole car with the painter so they can match and blend the color while the bumper is on the car or just leave them a part of your car like the gas cap lid or the spoiler top part. That's what I did so I could keep driving my car while it was being painted.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #49

Just got back from Precision Porsche and purchased a 2005-'07 GT3 front end. First off, Tony is a great guy to deal with. Gave me a great product @ an even better price. Having said that, I would not only have zero problems buying from him again, but would recommend him to every one. This guy is a true enthusiast.

I plan on getting the front end, bumperettes & turbo rear spoiler all painted up sometime this week & will share photos hopefully by the weekend.
Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:40 AM   #50

I think the front end looks way too heavy for the low profile lines of the boxster. I prefer more subtle lines and less angles. It's like a pretty girl with perfect cheeks and eyes, no blemishes, and a zitty whopper of a nose.

Fit and finish looks good though, and if it makes you smile, it did what it was supposed to do. Cheers to that
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:18 AM   #51

Looks like nice work but, as much as I love the GT3 (the best looking car on the market to me right now), I have to agree with other comments here: that bumper doesn't work on the Boxster. It doesn't flow with the lines of the car. It looks odd.

However, so long as you're happy, that's all that counts.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #52

I LIKE IT!
If you don't like the light covers paint them an accent color to enhance the look. What is the bumber made from, and will it flex at speed like I have heard about others? Do they sell grills for the openings, like the race car photos?

Good Job!
buster356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster356
I LIKE IT!
What is the bumber made from, and will it flex at speed like I have heard about others? Do they sell grills for the openings, like the race car photos?
The bumper from Precision Porsche is made of Polyurethane. Won't crack like fiberglass. The front bumper comes with a grill mesh for you to install or leave off
Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #54

wow, that's hot.

Very close to what I like in the following attached picture.

I love aggressive front bumper. BTW, if the skirt can be a litter more aggressive, it will be perfect!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #55

Well, all I can say is this. Everyone who sees it in person likes it. The photos don't do my car any justice. I used a wide angle lense to take the pictures. I was trying to be artistic like always. I agree about the side ground effects. I think I will switch them out later when I have done everything else I want to do first. The flexability of the new bumper is what really sold me compared to the fiberglass old one I had.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 04-12-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Well, all I can say is this. Everyone who sees it in person likes it. The photos don't do my car any justice. I used a wide angle lense to take the pictures. I was trying to be artistic like always. I agree about the side ground effects. I think I will switch them out later when I have done everything else I want to do first. The flexability of the new bumper is what really sold me compared to the fiberglass old on I had.

What you just said I have never had this much difficulties to decide about one single thing in my entire life (rough life I know)

Could I bother you for one shoot from the side, if that makes sense? So we can see how BIG it is or not

Thanks a bunch

(see attached image for angle)

*youth is wasted on the young*

Photos of my Boxster S

Painted center console, artic silver
, De Snorkle, 18" Carrera lightweight - 285-30-18 - Fabspeed Exhaust

http://www.cristopherbenitah.com/boxster.jpg

Last edited by cbenitah; 04-10-2008 at 11:12 PM.
cbenitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:35 AM   #57

sorry, but not feeling the bumper, nor the wheels.
BOXZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:25 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXZING
sorry, but not feeling the bumper, nor the wheels.
I bet your boxster is completely stock. That's okay. I win countless trophies at every car show I go to. Trust me, I know what looks good. This is what I do for a living. I'm a designer. But everyone is entitle to there opinion. I've even had the guys at my local Porsche dealership ask me where I got my rims from, they now carry them on the show room floor.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 04-12-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #59
HB.

The rims are very hawt! I like them much better then your old ones.
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenitah
What you just said I have never had this much difficulties to decide about one single thing in my entire life (rough life I know)

Could I bother you for one shoot from the side, if that makes sense? So we can see how BIG it is or not

Thanks a bunch

(see attached image for angle)
You asked for it. Here it is. As you can see from these side shots, the bumper does not stick out any further than the stock front bumper. Only the bottom lip does by a few inches for aerodynamic purposes. It makes the car look 8 years newer, nice and round, much more modern.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 04-12-2008 at 03:09 PM.