Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
victoreric, sorry to hear that news, but did it ever occur to you to get your car to a dealer to get a second opinion? maybe your independant shop is correct, but it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion, especially with such an expensive repair. it's easy for the shop to just tell you that you need a whole new engine, when in reality, you might just need a repair. Just a thought. Good luck with it.
That's a good point. They said they did a compression test and 3 of the cylinders are super low. (Max 100 psi). Should I still check?

Old 02-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #22

I had a 98 with 22,500 blow on me 6 months back. I finally got around to finding a 996 3.4 and sending it to Todd (member on this forum) and he just completed the swap. I'm awaiting the car to be delivered back to me sometime this weekend. It sucks to know how easy these engines go. Mine was making a clicking noise in the passenger rear tire area and full lights with CEL came on. When I saw the CEL, I had a gut feeling it was a "Change Engine Light" type of failure. Towed it to Porsche and said it was a cable tensioner failure. Long story short, needed a new engine and 10k later, I hope this last me a little longer. So I know how it feels. Good luck and will keep you posted on how the 3.4 feels when I get it back.
smiledrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #23

what size is the original engine?
SinnerDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinnerDC2
what size is the original engine?
It's a 2.7L engine.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledrs
I had a 98 with 22,500 blow on me 6 months back. I finally got around to finding a 996 3.4 and sending it to Todd (member on this forum) and he just completed the swap. I'm awaiting the car to be delivered back to me sometime this weekend. It sucks to know how easy these engines go. Mine was making a clicking noise in the passenger rear tire area and full lights with CEL came on. When I saw the CEL, I had a gut feeling it was a "Change Engine Light" type of failure. Towed it to Porsche and said it was a cable tensioner failure. Long story short, needed a new engine and 10k later, I hope this last me a little longer. So I know how it feels. Good luck and will keep you posted on how the 3.4 feels when I get it back.
So the dealer was wrong with the cable tensioner? What happened?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoreric
Did you ever consider a 3.4 or 3.6 and why did you end up going with a 3.2? Reading through the autofarm links about faulty engine, it seems that the earlier 3.4 also have a great chance of failure. So I'm wondering if it's worthwhile. Would the 3.2 S engine be more reliable?
Victoreric,

I considered those options, but only very briefly. I don't have the mechanical ability to do the installation and modifications for those engines myself, and it would have cost me more coin then I had available. The 3.2 was the same cost as the 2.7 so for me, that was a no-brainer. If you can afford it, or can do the work yourself, then by all means, go for the largest you can make work. You are going to have a significant expense anyway that you go, so you might as well go ahead and get all the power that your pocketbook can handle.

Mike
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #27

how many miles on it? I have a 2000 2.7 w/ 70k and I cant afford to replace the motor right now since I just bought the car..

--edit I found the answer

Last edited by SinnerDC2; 02-21-2008 at 05:35 PM.
SinnerDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #28
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
That's a good point. They said they did a compression test and 3 of the cylinders are super low. (Max 100 psi). Should I still check?
I'm not a mechanic, but seriously, I'd at least get a second opinion before agreeing to such an expensive engine swap. There is very high incentive for the indie to tell you that you need a whole new engine (if they think you don't know squat about cars), and since it's gonna cost you a lot anyway if you do have to replace the engine, what's another little extra just to see if what they're telling you is true or not?

Just saw on another Boxster board where a guy was all worried he needed a new engine when he noticed all this smoke coming out of his engine while driving, and long story short, all he needed was a replacement of the Air/Oil separator. I can see how a dishonest indie might take the car in due to something like this and just say to an unknowing customer that they need a whole new engine. My advice for you is to get a second opinion. Good luck.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #29

Victoreric, I live in Vancouver.... which indie gave the advice? There are good ones and less good ones(!).
Daily Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Driver
Victoreric, I live in Vancouver.... which indie gave the advice? There are good ones and less good ones(!).
It was MB Euromotors. Do you have any experience with them?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #31

I second (third?) the "second opinion" opinion.
Except for a few $ to get the car from one to another and a few more $ for the diagnosis, what is the harm? If it was a doctor telling you you needed a new shoulder (insert part of your choice) you'd get a second opinion. This is big dollars - I'd want to be positive.

Good luck, I hope you can get it going before the nice weather. It's snowing here!

Kevin
CT986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaber
victoreric, Do you know which modifications, if any, the new engine from Porsche would include?

I assume the new Porsche engine would continue with the original cylinder sleeve design so that the cracked sleeve issue may still be there?

Would the new Porsche engine have a modified intermediate shaft or the old design?

Any changes to the head design that could prevent cracked cylinder heads?

Finding the answers to these questions may be a guide as to whether to get a new Porsche engine or not. It may be worth the extra cost if these key problem areas are addressed in the new engine (notice when I say "new" I am not talking about the 987 engine, just the new crate 986 engine). Of course the Porsche warranty would be nice too.

BTW, I am sure the new engine would have the revised RMS seal.

Also, another good article on engine failures via autofarm:

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/pdf/911PW_Apr06.pdf
I am not aware of any design changes in the new Porsche motors. I know my neighbors 04 went the way of the IMS.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #33

Quote:
So the dealer was wrong with the cable tensioner? What happened?
After the engine died, I was able to pull off and get it home. I had it towed to the dealer and they told me after 3 days it was a cable tensioner that broke and ruined the engine basically. I needed a new engine was my only option. Took it to a indie shop and they said the same thing. I didn't tell the indie shop what was wrong. So now I await the 3.4L .
smiledrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #34

Victoreric, I do not know MB Euromotors. I will send you an e-mail with some names.

Last edited by Daily Driver; 02-22-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Daily Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 AM   #35

Wow, I can't believe this whole thing took 5 months!

Anyways, through alot of headache, I'm glad to report that my boxster is finally up and running. Long story short, I managed to find an old 3.4 engine with only 37,000 kms and did the swap.

Last edited by victoreric; 07-31-2008 at 08:16 AM.
victoreric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #36

glad to hear it's back and up and running!

how much did the whole swap / labor /etc COST??? US dollars??

how much faster is it than the 2.7L ????

is it just a little or is it OMFG faster..

must suprise the heck out of someone in a 987 as they see an old "base" boxster blow them away..
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:27 PM   #37

I havent driven an S, but it definitely could spank a 2.7L. I notice this especially in the corners where I gave it a bit more gas than should, then tail starts going.

Fun!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
glad to hear it's back and up and running!

how much did the whole swap / labor /etc COST??? US dollars??

how much faster is it than the 2.7L ????

is it just a little or is it OMFG faster..

must suprise the heck out of someone in a 987 as they see an old "base" boxster blow them away..
Old 08-01-2008, 06:24 AM   #38

Happy to hear about the succesful swap. By no means am I hoping that this happens to me, but if it does I would likely try and go the same route you did. Nice work, hope you're enjoying the car again to the fullest!
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #39

how much did this swap cost you?

did you price it compared to doing the 3.4L 911 motor swap?
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
how much did this swap cost you?

did you price it compared to doing the 3.4L 911 motor swap?
This is a 3.4L from a 911. I think it's about $14000, after everything.