Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #1

The Ultimate Wheels for your Boxster?

I knew someone would get around to it - a TUV approved Magnesium Hub/CF Rim wheel for the 911/Boxster.

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/parts/Carbon_fibre_wheels

A set of 4 will run you $9,821.04 + Duty + S/H

Then there's tires, figure another $1,200-$1,500

Plus Mounting and Balancing - $150

And, you don't want the OEM Wheel Bolts corroding the Magnesium, so opt for these SS ones for $250.46 + Duty + S/H - http://www.autofarm.co.uk/parts/wheel_bolts

In total, maybe $14k - $15k complete... Bragging Rights - PRICELESS!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-14-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #2

wow thats nearly what i paid for my car....
blueillusion97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:01 AM   #3

...and one good pothole smack and a rim or two is shattered. Ugh.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 AM   #4

that seems kind of dangerous to me. all you have to do is curb one a bit and it will delaminate.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
...and one good pothole smack and a rim or two is shattered. Ugh.
"Carbon fibre in this form is not only very strong, but is also quite resistant to shock and thus will withstand potholes better than magnesium, it will bend under extreme shock and then return to shape better than most metals. It will not shatter catastrophically as some have predicted." --You for got to read the discription Randall

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
They must be strictly wheels for people with more money than brains. Every piece of CF I ever used that was subjected to heavy impact, shattered bigtime. Masts, booms, hulls, foils, rudders, everything but crossbeams. CF is great stuff right up until it fails. It usually fails in a big way.

Last edited by Topless; 02-14-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #7

I dunno. Even though the UK is not nearly so litigation happy as the US, it seems to me that there would be a lot of liability in producing a product which, if it were to fail, could cause serious property loss and potential injury and death. Especially one for high-end Sports cars and most likely, equally high-end owners.

I'm no expert in the manufacture and implementation of CF, but I do know that you can engineer it to perform in a certain way and can engineer it's strength. There are CF composite commercial aircraft wings out there with a built-in deflection of 2 or more feet which perform flawlessly cycle after cycle.

CF wheels are not really new. There are several manufacturers producing them for Bicycles and Motorcycles, and have for quite a few years. I realize the stresses imposed by a bike are far less than a car, but that's where the engineering of the material comes into play. See: http://www.ram.mc/wheels/BST/techinfo/BSTekinfo.htm . And another company, DYMAG/Rennworx, won Best Int'l Product award at the 2006 SEMA show for their CF Wheels - http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/03-15-2007/0004547117&EDATE= .

I am certain that there was a lot of destructive testing conducted before these wheels were marketed, or gained TUV approval (Technischer Überwachungs-Verein), which I doubt was just a rubber-stamping procedure. The TUV is one if the strictest independent testing organizations in the world (similar to the UL (Underwriters Laboratories) in the US). Every Car and Aftermarket part in Germany must, by Law, be TUV approved in order to be licensed for the road. So, my confidence level is fairly high that this wheel performs as advertised. I mean it has a greater approval (Full TUV - meaning on and off road) than many of the wheels many of us are riding around on now.

Now, all of this comes at a price, which helps explain why they cost so much. But, if the claims turn out to be correct, they may not be so expensive afterall.

A promise of the equivalent of 40 bhp is nothing to sneeze at and their cost somewhat comparable to the price of a 3.4l or 3.6l conversion while adding the benefits of better turn-in and increased Range (MPG), but without any reliability issues from Forced Induction or overpowering the drivetrain.

Of course, this is just the first example of a CF road wheel available for Porsches. I'm sure there will be others, and that with time, the price may fall to a more reasonable level.

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-14-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #8

Sounds good to me, I'll take a set.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #9

Hmmm....wonder what I could buy with that type of money?? ....another car??
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #10

Excellent facts to point out why I must have these wheels. I'll run it by the wife. With your arguements/facts it only makes sense. Its' sooooo much cheaper and easier than doing an engine transplant or buying a 911. Plus its a safety issue as well. My cheap aluminum wheels just aren't safe enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I dunno. Even though the UK is not nearly so litigation happy as the US, it seems to me that there would be a lot of liability in producing a product which, if it were to fail, could cause serious property loss and potential injury and death. Especially one for high-end Sports cars and most likely, equally high-end owners.

I'm no expert in the manufacture and implementation of CF, but I do know that you can engineer it to perform in a certain way and can engineer it's strength. There are CF composite commercial aircraft wings out there with a built-in deflection of 2 or more feet which perform flawlessly cycle after cycle.

CF wheels are not really new. There are several manufacturers producing them for Bicycles and Motorcycles, and have for quite a few years. I realize the stresses imposed by a bike are far less than a car, but that's where the engineering of the material comes into play. See: http://www.ram.mc/wheels/BST/techinfo/BSTekinfo.htm . And another company, DYMAG/Rennworx, won Best Int'l Product award at the 2006 SEMA show for their CF Wheels - http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/03-15-2007/0004547117&EDATE= .

I am certain that there was a lot of destructive testing conducted before these wheels were marketed, or gained TUV approval (Technischer Überwachungs-Verein), which I doubt was just a rubber-stamping procedure. The TUV is one if the strictest independent testing organizations in the world (similar to the UL (Underwriters Laboratories) in the US). Every Car and Aftermarket part in Germany must, by Law, be TUV approved in order to be licensed for the road. So, my confidence level is fairly high that this wheel performs as advertised. I mean it has a greater approval (Full TUV - meaning on and off road) than many of the wheels many of us are riding around on now.

Now, all of this comes at a price, which helps explain why they cost so much. But, if the claims turn out to be correct, they may not be so expensive afterall.

A promise of the equivalent of 40 bhp is nothing to sneeze at and their cost somewhat comparable to the price of a 3.4l or 3.6l conversion while adding the benefits of better turn-in and increased Range (MPG), but without any reliability issues from Forced Induction or overpowering the drivetrain.

Of course, this is just the first example of a CF road wheel available for Porsches. I'm sure there will be others, and that with time, the price may fall to a more reasonable level.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #11

Did anyone see the weight of these wheels?
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #12

Put me down for 3 sets... one for the track, one for the street, and of course a set for the snows ... I wonder how they will handle the salt?

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter
Did anyone see the weight of these wheels?

....Consider that a standard Porsche GT3 RS 18" wheel weighs about 14kg, the DesignTek Carbon/Magnesium equivalent weighs around 6.5kg saving about 30kg per car.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #14

I agree that the price is astronomical to all but a very few of us here. I certainly couldn't afford them. But, I do really like the look of them.

How cool would it be to pull up with one of these Bad Girls on each corner?
Old 02-15-2008, 12:52 AM   #15

Well, if I am going to get a set of the wheels, I might as well throw in a set of ceramic brakes and do the unsprung, low-mass thing properly.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #16

I'm holding out for the "Tweel"

Tweel

larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #17

The tweel is very cool!!

dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote