986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   The Ultimate Wheels? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15410-ultimate-wheels.html)

Lil bastard 02-13-2008 08:27 PM

The Ultimate Wheels for your Boxster?

I knew someone would get around to it - a TUV approved Magnesium Hub/CF Rim wheel for the 911/Boxster.

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/parts/Carbon_fibre_wheels

A set of 4 will run you $9,821.04 + Duty + S/H

Then there's tires, figure another $1,200-$1,500

Plus Mounting and Balancing - $150

And, you don't want the OEM Wheel Bolts corroding the Magnesium, so opt for these SS ones for $250.46 + Duty + S/H - http://www.autofarm.co.uk/parts/wheel_bolts

In total, maybe $14k - $15k complete... Bragging Rights - PRICELESS!

blueillusion97 02-13-2008 10:17 PM

wow thats nearly what i paid for my car.... :eek:

RandallNeighbour 02-14-2008 04:01 AM

...and one good pothole smack and a rim or two is shattered. Ugh.

insite 02-14-2008 05:36 AM

that seems kind of dangerous to me. all you have to do is curb one a bit and it will delaminate.

CJ_Boxster 02-14-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
...and one good pothole smack and a rim or two is shattered. Ugh.

"Carbon fibre in this form is not only very strong, but is also quite resistant to shock and thus will withstand potholes better than magnesium, it will bend under extreme shock and then return to shape better than most metals. It will not shatter catastrophically as some have predicted." --You for got to read the discription Randall

Topless 02-14-2008 07:09 AM

They must be strictly wheels for people with more money than brains. Every piece of CF I ever used that was subjected to heavy impact, shattered bigtime. Masts, booms, hulls, foils, rudders, everything but crossbeams. CF is great stuff right up until it fails. It usually fails in a big way.

Lil bastard 02-14-2008 09:03 AM

I dunno. Even though the UK is not nearly so litigation happy as the US, it seems to me that there would be a lot of liability in producing a product which, if it were to fail, could cause serious property loss and potential injury and death. Especially one for high-end Sports cars and most likely, equally high-end owners.

I'm no expert in the manufacture and implementation of CF, but I do know that you can engineer it to perform in a certain way and can engineer it's strength. There are CF composite commercial aircraft wings out there with a built-in deflection of 2 or more feet which perform flawlessly cycle after cycle.

CF wheels are not really new. There are several manufacturers producing them for Bicycles and Motorcycles, and have for quite a few years. I realize the stresses imposed by a bike are far less than a car, but that's where the engineering of the material comes into play. See: http://www.ram.mc/wheels/BST/techinfo/BSTekinfo.htm . And another company, DYMAG/Rennworx, won Best Int'l Product award at the 2006 SEMA show for their CF Wheels - http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/03-15-2007/0004547117&EDATE= .

I am certain that there was a lot of destructive testing conducted before these wheels were marketed, or gained TUV approval (Technischer Überwachungs-Verein), which I doubt was just a rubber-stamping procedure. The TUV is one if the strictest independent testing organizations in the world (similar to the UL (Underwriters Laboratories) in the US). Every Car and Aftermarket part in Germany must, by Law, be TUV approved in order to be licensed for the road. So, my confidence level is fairly high that this wheel performs as advertised. I mean it has a greater approval (Full TUV - meaning on and off road) than many of the wheels many of us are riding around on now.

Now, all of this comes at a price, which helps explain why they cost so much. But, if the claims turn out to be correct, they may not be so expensive afterall.

A promise of the equivalent of 40 bhp is nothing to sneeze at and their cost somewhat comparable to the price of a 3.4l or 3.6l conversion while adding the benefits of better turn-in and increased Range (MPG), but without any reliability issues from Forced Induction or overpowering the drivetrain.

Of course, this is just the first example of a CF road wheel available for Porsches. I'm sure there will be others, and that with time, the price may fall to a more reasonable level.

edevlin 02-14-2008 09:23 AM

Sounds good to me, I'll take a set.....

Ed
:cheers:

dcporsche99 02-14-2008 09:48 AM

Hmmm....wonder what I could buy with that type of money?? :rolleyes: ....another car??

angman 02-14-2008 12:44 PM

Excellent facts to point out why I must have these wheels. I'll run it by the wife. With your arguements/facts it only makes sense. Its' sooooo much cheaper and easier than doing an engine transplant or buying a 911. Plus its a safety issue as well. My cheap aluminum wheels just aren't safe enough :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I dunno. Even though the UK is not nearly so litigation happy as the US, it seems to me that there would be a lot of liability in producing a product which, if it were to fail, could cause serious property loss and potential injury and death. Especially one for high-end Sports cars and most likely, equally high-end owners.

I'm no expert in the manufacture and implementation of CF, but I do know that you can engineer it to perform in a certain way and can engineer it's strength. There are CF composite commercial aircraft wings out there with a built-in deflection of 2 or more feet which perform flawlessly cycle after cycle.

CF wheels are not really new. There are several manufacturers producing them for Bicycles and Motorcycles, and have for quite a few years. I realize the stresses imposed by a bike are far less than a car, but that's where the engineering of the material comes into play. See: http://www.ram.mc/wheels/BST/techinfo/BSTekinfo.htm . And another company, DYMAG/Rennworx, won Best Int'l Product award at the 2006 SEMA show for their CF Wheels - http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/03-15-2007/0004547117&EDATE= .

I am certain that there was a lot of destructive testing conducted before these wheels were marketed, or gained TUV approval (Technischer Überwachungs-Verein), which I doubt was just a rubber-stamping procedure. The TUV is one if the strictest independent testing organizations in the world (similar to the UL (Underwriters Laboratories) in the US). Every Car and Aftermarket part in Germany must, by Law, be TUV approved in order to be licensed for the road. So, my confidence level is fairly high that this wheel performs as advertised. I mean it has a greater approval (Full TUV - meaning on and off road) than many of the wheels many of us are riding around on now.

Now, all of this comes at a price, which helps explain why they cost so much. But, if the claims turn out to be correct, they may not be so expensive afterall.

A promise of the equivalent of 40 bhp is nothing to sneeze at and their cost somewhat comparable to the price of a 3.4l or 3.6l conversion while adding the benefits of better turn-in and increased Range (MPG), but without any reliability issues from Forced Induction or overpowering the drivetrain.

Of course, this is just the first example of a CF road wheel available for Porsches. I'm sure there will be others, and that with time, the price may fall to a more reasonable level.

Sputter 02-14-2008 01:03 PM

Did anyone see the weight of these wheels?

mdex 02-14-2008 01:45 PM

Put me down for 3 sets... one for the track, one for the street, and of course a set for the snows :cool: ... I wonder how they will handle the salt?

idheaton 02-14-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sputter
Did anyone see the weight of these wheels?

....Consider that a standard Porsche GT3 RS 18" wheel weighs about 14kg, the DesignTek Carbon/Magnesium equivalent weighs around 6.5kg saving about 30kg per car.

Lil bastard 02-14-2008 09:52 PM

I agree that the price is astronomical to all but a very few of us here. I certainly couldn't afford them. But, I do really like the look of them.

How cool would it be to pull up with one of these Bad Girls on each corner?

edevlin 02-15-2008 12:52 AM

Well, if I am going to get a set of the wheels, I might as well throw in a set of ceramic brakes and do the unsprung, low-mass thing properly.....

Ed

:D

larryshomework 02-15-2008 07:12 AM

I'm holding out for the "Tweel" :rolleyes:

Tweel

dcporsche99 02-15-2008 07:59 AM

The tweel is very cool!! :cheers: