Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #1

Wink Do you long-time owners get used to the engine sounds?

I've had my car for about 4 months now and I still cannot stop giggling and laughing when the tach hits 5000RPMs...

The sounds coming from the exhaust-intake-engine from 5000RPMs to 7000RPMs right behind my ears are....orgasmic...the engine tone varies so much at those RPMs...I know it's lame and cliche but it really is an orchestra.

And I just have a 100% stock 2000 Boxster S! I can imagine those of you with sports exhausts or intake systems. I'm jealous

So after how many months-years do you start getting bored with the sound of the engine induction at around 5500RPMs?

Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #2

I've owned so many sports cars over the years of nearly every make and model that the sound of the engine ain't that much of a thrill anymore, in fact, not for many years. So long as it sounds right, I'm good. Though I do understand where you're coming from.

Now tactile sensation is something entirely different. When a car is at speed and feels right - throttle, steering, chassis, brakes, well there's nothing to compare!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:38 AM   #3

Heehee Awesome isn't it?!?!?

Wonder if yours is de-snorked? If not - don't do it! You'll get even more addicted to the sound above 5K

De-Snorkle Instructions
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques79
So after how many months-years do you start getting bored with the sound of the engine induction at around 5500RPMs?
Bored no, listen to the radio less so I can engine the engine yes!

Since about 800 miles into my switch to redline 5W40 from M1 0w40 the engine noise is smoother and it seems like I can hear more exhaust note and less mechanical noise (Of course when accelerating above 5k rpm that intake noise, praise be, is all you hear!). That is how it has been so far and I hope it stays that way as I get more miles on this oil.
saaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:51 AM   #5

I have had my Boxster for 6 years and I still find myself turning off the radio and forgetting to shift just so I can hear the orchestra behind me.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:19 AM   #6

I to used to love the sound of my car...then, I desnorkled it!! I don't like to abuse my car, but its hard to wait till the engine gets up to temp to listen to the upper rpm's!!! Desnorkling is by far and away the best free mod (and one of the best overall mods) i've done to my lil' box!!! If you haven't already...you just don't know what your missin'

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #7

Just over 3 years for me, and I'm still going strong. The SOUND of the test drive is what made choose the Boxster. And for some reason, it sounds even more harmonious in the dense-aired winter time.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
You'll never get used to it, it's an addiction!!!
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #9

I have not yet tired of listening to the Boxster. Heck I cant find the right radio code since I put a new battery in months ago... and I don't care; second gear at 38k rpm is sweet music. It is addictive!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
I have had my Boxster for 6 years and I still find myself turning off the radio and forgetting to shift just so I can hear the orchestra behind me.
Thanks for admitting the part about forgetting to shift. I've found myself at hiway speed in 4th mesmerized by the sounds.

And I forget to even turn the radio on.

One comment on new owners - many start to hear noises that they believe are trouble about to start. You get used to them.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #11

"I've had my car for about 4 months now and I still cannot stop giggling and laughing when the tach hits 5000RPMs..."

Hate to admit it...but, I do the same darn thing every time!!

And +1 on keeping the radio off!!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #12

Almost 4 years for me and I still love the sound. Of course, I now have an obnoxiously loud muffler and headers and oh yeah, it was desnorked before I bought it.

However, the thing that has worn off now is when I open my garage and see my Porsche. For the first year, I'd see it and think, "Wow. Never thought I'd ever see one of those in my own garage with my name on the title."

I guess all the stinkin' repairs I've had to do has taken the shine off first-time ownership of a Porsche. I never get tired of the sound of the car though.

I was at the track today at a high speed DE event for my PCA region... if you think the sound of your car is great, you gotta get to a DE event. It's free to get in and watch... hearing a couple dozen GT3's, Turbos and Carreras flying around the track at 120+ mph is one AMAZING SYMPHONY of exhaust notes!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #13

Well I don't get to drive the Boxster much so I don't get used to the sound but, after over 40k put on my 911 I still don't remember if it has a radio in it.
Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
Porscheectomy

It's fun to listen to it rev going down the road, but that can't even come close to how great it sounds rushing down a twisty mountain road. Full song bouncing off the walls of a canyon is amazing.

I will say, however, that the old 2.7 and 3.0L flat 6 from the 60s and 70s air cooled engines are 100 times more inspiring and interesting than these water cooled, catalyzed engines. If you want to know what all Porsches should really sound like, take a drive in a '78 911SC.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #15

Love the sound! Glad I'm not the only one that turns the radio down or off to hear the engine. I've had this car for over 4 years now and it still makes me smile when I drive it...
Old 02-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #16
Track rat

Garage
Yep. The Porsche exhaust note is like crack! What radio???
Old 02-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #17
bmussatti

During winter storage, the one thing I miss most about the Boxster is the engine and exhaust note.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:40 AM   #18

The sound near redline is just incredible. Reminds me of the movie Lemans with Steve McQueen. Also, I had the engine cover off while checking something and took it for a spin, sounded like I was in an F1. Made the hair on my neck stand up.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
Just over 3 years for me, and I'm still going strong. The SOUND of the test drive is what made choose the Boxster. And for some reason, it sounds even more harmonious in the dense-aired winter time.

Yeah, that helped me decide on a Boxster too. I thought it was so cool with the top down that you can hear the engine from outside of the car and inside. Don't know how long it'll take for me to get bored with it because I haven't gotten the car yet.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote