Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 05:27 AM   #1

Porsche Sport Exhaust

Anyone know approximately what a PSE should cost? My dealer is saying $3,600 in parts and $1,000 in labor. This is the Porsche system not an aftermarket system. Seems high to me. Actually I'm a bit stunned. I was thinking around $2.1K for system and chrome end.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
bmussatti

Parts are about $1,700 (I'll recheck) and labor from a dealership will be about 3 hours.

I paid about $600 in labor to have mine installed last year. Love the PSE!
Old 02-08-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
bmussatti

Wild,

Here is a link ($1,695) for the PSE:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=00004420020&Category_Code=986exhaust

Also call www.sunsetporsche as they will have slightly better pricing. Ask for Phil Coy. No sales tax. Shipping is about $80.

FYI, the box is huge! I had to take mine over in the SUV and then pick-up the old exhaust the next day with the SUV again.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:38 AM   #4

Thanks! Now I'm wondering why they are quoting me such a high price. I think I see PSE's online for around $1,700 and even if I add $450 for chrome tips I still come nowhere close to the quote they provided.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:39 AM   #5

Does anyone know how much weight the system adds to the car?

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:41 AM   #6

oops I was posting as you posted up that last link. Thanks again. I actually went to the Suncoast site too but thought I must be misreading.

Think I'll email back and ask them to clarify.

Also glad to hear you like the PSE. From everything I've read while researching it people seem to love the PSE systems.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:42 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin

Ed

For me, the OEM vs PSE was nil. The only real difference is a few vacuum valves. And those we bi-passed so the exhaust is in "sport" mode at all times.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:49 AM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
oops I was posting as you posted up that last link. Thanks again. I actually went to the Suncoast site too but thought I must be misreading.

Think I'll email back and ask them to clarify.

Also glad to hear you like the PSE. From everything I've read while researching it people seem to love the PSE systems.
Wild, you might be able to do the work yourself. When you call Sunset, ask them for the Technical Bulletin. This will give step-by-step install instructions, and is the same document the dealership uses. In there it will also list the labor time units. You can use this to negotiate a more fair price with the dealership and keep them honest. Most dealerships charge about 2x's the time units.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Wild, you might be able to do the work yourself. When you call Sunset, ask them for the Technical Bulletin. This will give step-by-step install instructions, and is the same document the dealership uses. In there it will also list the labor time units. You can use this to negotiate a more fair price with the dealership and keep them honest. Most dealerships charge about 2x's the time units.
For the price they quoted I'm already thinking that way. I emailed them back and gave them the tequipment part number just to confirm we're talking the same thing. I'm wondering if he included price of new cats by mistake.

I also emailed a local independent Porsche shop I've heard good things about. I know the some of pro athletes in the area go there.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #10

My '08 Boxster S should be here in a couple weeks and it will have the PSE - I understand that it does not really kick in so to say until the RPMs are up...I've heard that to have it "on" all the time I would have to disconnect the vacuum lines - is that what is meant by "bypassing"? If so, is it an easy job?

Thanks in advance...Bob Z.
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin

Ed

While the PSE looks a little different on later years (mine is a 2000), I was amazed at how heavy it was. I did not actually weigh it but it was the heaviest muffler I've ever handled. It is heavier than the OEM unit it replaced. I wish they could have shed some pounds from it. The sound is just awesome though.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
My '08 Boxster S should be here in a couple weeks and it will have the PSE - I understand that it does not really kick in so to say until the RPMs are up...I've heard that to have it "on" all the time I would have to disconnect the vacuum lines - is that what is meant by "bypassing"? If so, is it an easy job?

Thanks in advance...Bob Z.
Yes, just take off the vacuum lines. and then protect the lines and any exposed openings.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Yes, just take off the vacuum lines. and then protect the lines and any exposed openings.

That's the easy and quick way.

You can also, after gaining access to the engine, splice a switch into the wires that control the vacuum unit, locate the switch inside the cabin (I placed mine in the ashtray) and control it yourself. What this does is interrupt the signal from the DME which tells the vacuum unit to either open or close the valves.

It's not that hard and allows you to either run it the way the factory made it or stay in loud mode until you switch it back.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

- Mark

PS: This is for a 2007+ style PSE.
Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #14

For normal driving, say keeping RPM's below 4,000, there isn't much of a sound difference between "loud" mode and "quiet" mode. That is the beauty of this exhaust system and what keeps resonance so low. At 6,000 RPM, now thats a different story.
ROW M030 Suspension
Old 02-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s
For normal driving, say keeping RPM's below 4,000, there isn't much of a sound difference between "loud" mode and "quiet" mode. That is the beauty of this exhaust system and what keeps resonance so low. At 6,000 RPM, now thats a different story.

I disagree. There is quite a lot of difference. But it's a pleasant difference -- not obnoxious at all.

Steve is right in that it really starts sounding great at the higher revs. 4,200 it starts getting good. 5,000 on up start thinking Carrera GT -- not Boxster.

To me, however, it does sound a little congested at WOT and above, say, 6,500 rpm. As if it's blowing through some more cats and baffles than it ought to (which it is).

Have you seen the new Borla system? Not much restriction there! I don't know about sound and you can't switch it into quiet mode, but...

All the best,

- Mark

PS: If Steve has the factory system as installed by the factory, it will close the valves from about 10 to about 45 or 50 mph for Euro noise requirements and that may be why he said it was not much different. Unplug the vacuum lines for the easy way to hear it always in loud mode (do plug the ends and secure them up out of the way, though).
Old 02-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #16

No, mines open all the time. I guess its a matter of perspective and sensitivity to sound. Even with its open below 4,000 RPM it sounds quiet to me. My hearing is not as good as it used to be though.
ROW M030 Suspension
Old 02-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #17

Steve,

I apologize.

I just noticed yours is a 2000 which is an entirely different system.

The 987 ones are a whole nuther animal.

- Mark
Old 02-09-2008, 05:58 AM   #18

Just run straight pipes!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1VI-rTaUmU

I'm kidding the PSE is an awesome system.
At one time I took an OEM muffler and hacked into it a bypass. in a sense it was a PSE that was stuck open. There is a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEPv_l6GBfw

Don't laugh at the tips they did not come out right and that was the main reason I changed mufflers to my current setup.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #19

Garage
Sport Exhaust

The Sport Exhaust on my 2008 S LE is a blast. Kicks in as soon as you punch the "Sport" button, and is discernable at all speeds -- including idle.

I sometimes wish the PSE was on a separate circuit than the sport suspension. I'd probably hit the Sport button more often -- or just leave it on all the time -- if it didn't firm the suspension too.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #20
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by knurly
The Sport Exhaust on my 2008 S LE is a blast. Kicks in as soon as you punch the "Sport" button, and is discernable at all speeds -- including idle.

I sometimes wish the PSE was on a separate circuit than the sport suspension. I'd probably hit the Sport button more often -- or just leave it on all the time -- if it didn't firm the suspension too.

Knurly, you can just disconnect the vacuum lines to the PSE, and you will have it in "sport" (loud) mode at all times.