Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 04:22 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryshomework
I just got back from the Dragon - I was in Knoxville visiting friends and did 2 separate days up there.

It's been over 20 years since I drove that road. I grew up in Knoxville and we used to go to Fontana or camp at Calderwood (just below the cool old damn near the Tapoco Lodge). Amazingly, the speed limit used to be 55 on the Dragon - virtually impossible to speed. The road used to have very little traffic. We even towed a boat up the Dragon.

Thursday was packed - hundreds of bikes and a Nissan Z club must have been there.

Several cops - patrols are up. I was stuck behind a line of bikes on the way up (South). On the way back out (North) I had several open areas where slower cars pulled over (thanks!). Also, I had to pull over to let a crotch rocket go by. He was flying!

On my drive back home (Alabama) I went back up on Sunday morning about 10am. Much lighter traffic. Only saw one cop and he was driving North (I was heading South). What a blast! Rarely got out of 2nd gear.

I also had my first trip on the Cherohala Skyway. This is a must drive if you go. I saw no cops on the trip. Great views. The temperature and weather changes as you get to the top (about 5400 ft.) so be prepared.

There are 2 groups (129photos and Zeefoto) that take pictures of you as you go through some turns on the Dragon. You can then buy the pics off their website. I took a few as well and I'll post them here in a few days.

Yeah, the dragon is super crowded nowadays... the Cherohala Skyway is nice.. love that area... There is one dood who is always up there on a full dress yellow goldwing.. He FLIES through the dragon.. dragging foot pegs & stuff.. funny as hell to watch.. not so funny when he passes you on your R1

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #42
FTD

People stationed with cameras to sell photos to you?! Like Six Flags. My how times have changed.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:01 AM   #43
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
People stationed with cameras to sell photos to you?! Like Six Flags. My how times have changed.

The photos are great. I bought a few from 2 different guys last year.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #44

Gas Prices

Are you guys still planning on the TOD trip ? Gas prices could be $4.50 / gallon or more by then.. OUCH.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #45

Well, boys and girls, I'm going to have to bow out on the trip this year. I was going to grin and bear it on the outrageous fuel costs and the tire wear getting there and back, and then Hans' diagnosis of my worn suspension squashed it financially for me. I need about $3000 worth of work on the car, and a chunk of that is what I had saved up for the trip.

I need wheel bearings (both sides) and one control arm up front, and a control arm in the back (it's creaking). The struts up front are original and since Hans has to tear down the wheel carrier to swap out the bearing, it makes common sense to replace the struts while I'm at it.

Hans made another good point as well. He is recommending I replace the trailing arms as well in the back because they're original as well and go out on cars of my age and mileage. Add to that another lower control arm because it's original as well and it will go out sooner than later like the other, and the price rises even more.

Since struts up front will cost about $500 for Bilstein HD's I think I'll just get a set of KSport coilovers and have him install them while he's in there.

All I can say is that I will miss seeing you all and driving with you, but there will be other trips. I've fretted over my worn suspension for a long time, so this should get it in good shape for the long haul and I won't have to worry what's going to go out next on this car (except for the intermediate shaft, the transmission, the RMS, and the top transmissions!)

Ah, the joys of owning an old Boxster just keep piling up, eh? :ah:
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #46

Man, Randall, that thing has been a money pit. How many miles are on that thing now 106k? Ever consider upgrading to a newer less problematic boxster? With all the money you've dropped on that 2.5L you could've had nice shiny S a long time ago no?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #47

I'm in too deep. I do not have an addiction. The addiction has me in its grips. 105k, by the way.

Probably should have bailed two years ago and I'd be driving a newer S. However, I do not want another 986. I only want a 987S or a CaymanS.

So I will repair what I have and dream of bolting a 3.6 in it one day. I do have a black hide of leather to do the interior in and that's cheap so it will keep me busy for a long time.

All you guys with boxsters with 80k+ need to bail on the car sooner than later and get another with much lower mileage on it.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Well, boys and girls, I'm going to have to bow out on the trip this year. I was going to grin and bear it on the outrageous fuel costs and the tire wear getting there and back, and then Hans' diagnosis of my worn suspension squashed it financially for me. I need about $3000 worth of work on the car, and a chunk of that is what I had saved up for the trip.

I need wheel bearings (both sides) and one control arm up front, and a control arm in the back (it's creaking). The struts up front are original and since Hans has to tear down the wheel carrier to swap out the bearing, it makes common sense to replace the struts while I'm at it.

Hans made another good point as well. He is recommending I replace the trailing arms as well in the back because they're original as well and go out on cars of my age and mileage. Add to that another lower control arm because it's original as well and it will go out sooner than later like the other, and the price rises even more.

Since struts up front will cost about $500 for Bilstein HD's I think I'll just get a set of KSport coilovers and have him install them while he's in there.

All I can say is that I will miss seeing you all and driving with you, but there will be other trips. I've fretted over my worn suspension for a long time, so this should get it in good shape for the long haul and I won't have to worry what's going to go out next on this car (except for the intermediate shaft, the transmission, the RMS, and the top transmissions!)

Ah, the joys of owning an old Boxster just keep piling up, eh? :ah:
I'll sell you the suspension pieces you need off of NickCats' car... say $100???

You will truly be missed this time around since you were responsible for the inaugural trip last year. Let us know when you'll be in the Chicago area so we can meet up for some pizza and beer.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #49

I will be in South Barrington October 16-19. Let's plan on dinner on the 18th!
Old 06-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #50

Randall,

That sucks you won't be able to join us ! I have marked my calendar for the 18th, though...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #51

Anyone have a room they want to split? I hadn't committed earlier because I told my wife I would take her to Europe for our anniversary this fall and the dates were up in the air. We ended up going at the beginning of this month so I'm free that weekend and want to go back and hopefully run it on dry roads instead of in the rain.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:06 AM   #52

I seriously doubt that my wife will be joining me this year ( she's pregnant and due in February ) so I would be happy to split a room with you. Let me double check with her to be sure and I'll let you know...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 08-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #53
FTD

Reservation available at Two Wheel Inn

I have cancelled my reservation for a room at the Two Wheel Inn, so there is now one available! I had reserved Fri the 12th and Sat the 13th.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #54

FTD, first Randall and now you too ?

Why aren't you joining us ?

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 08-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #55

So this is in two weeks then? the 12th through 14th? If I go I'll prolly crash at my folks place in Bryson City..(pardon the pun ).....

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #56
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
FTD, first Randall and now you too ?

Why aren't you joining us ?

Nick
I have some things to juggle.

I might show up Saturday and just make a day trip out of it. If so, I will find a way to communicate so I can meet my friends. That would be very nice.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:56 AM   #57

I've been on the fence regarding this trip for a while. There is a PCA DE that same week @ VIR, and I couldn't make up my mind. I think I've decided to hit the dragon instead of the DE, but I am wondering if there is anyone who is willing to split a room at this point.
mtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #58

ALSO.....is there an itinerary . I've looked around the different threads and didn't see any plans other than meeting that weekend. For those who want to attend but don't stay at the 2 wheel inn, a schedule of events would be helpful, so we'll know when and where to meet everyone else
mtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:07 AM   #59
bmussatti

Does anyone have a feel for the weather next week? I am worried about the storms brewing in the Altantic right now.

Me no likey rainy on my clean & shiney car.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #60

Extended forecast at the Weather Channel has it raining 60/60/40 % for Fri/Sat/Sun.
Subject to change without notice.

Can we get a head count for next weekend?

Hannah flooded my driver's side carpet today. Still trying to track down the leak but the Alarm Control Unit was dry. That was a stroke of luck.

derb is offline   Reply With Quote