Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #21

Hi team -
I just went out to jump my Boxster. I had to do jump it once before and it worked fine when I left a door open all night.
So I hooked up the cables and turned the key and just a bunch of clicks and lights and NO fire. I wait a few minutes. Check the cables. Rev the running car. Turn my key and same. No firing. Left the car hooked up to the other car for ten minutes. Still nothing.
Ideas?

eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #22

Hey EM,

I see that you've checked the cables, but it's the only thing that I can think of.....

Can you describe how you've hooked up the cables???

+ (other car) to + (your car)
- (other car) to ground /bolt/metal (your car)

Also check to see that you have the alligator clips on clean contact points / connectors....if there's any corrosion, make sure to wipe it off. If you're using a bolt or nut (from your vehicle) that has paint on it as your ground, you might want to take some of the paint off so that it's completely metal to metal.

...If you have an automatic, sometimes the car won't start if you don't have it in PARK (P) all the way.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Hopefully, someone else can chime in with other ideas for you!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #23

yeap - hooked up correctly. 6sp. Checked the clutch switch. Looks fine. Turn the key and click, click, all lights light up. Turn off the key and the oil and battery light stay on for a bit. Grrr...
eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #24

Unless you have a trickle charger where you can hook it up to for a couple of hours......looks like you may need a new battery.

Check below for Mike Focke's link for a list for battery replacement(s) along with the approximate prices.

Good luck!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #25
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcporsche99
Unless you have a trickle charger where you can hook it up to for a couple of hours......looks like you may need a new battery.

Check below for Mike Focke's link for a list for battery replacement(s) along with the approximate prices.

Good luck!
That would be my guess too. Try totally disconnecting the battery in the Porsche and just hook up the battery from the other car and see if it will start.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #26

I had to get a new battery for my 03 Boxster a couple of weeks ago. Got the Autozone 48 maintenance free one.
I jump started the old battery with a 2 amp trickle charger-overnight charge.
I couldn't start it the next day, but a jump start guy from porsche came over and got it started without actually using his jump starter, so I think you can get it charged up enough with a trickle charge, if you charge long enough. I recharged my old 911SC with a 1 amp trickle charger for 48 hrs, and it started right up.

As for grounding, I had no problem attaching trickle charger lead to the negative ground bolt next to the battery on Boxster. The trickle charger read "charging OK"
after attaching leads--with battery in car.

Batteries are cheap, and it's best to get a new one if your 3 yo battery loses its charge on a cold morning after not running for 5 days.

986sport is offline   Reply With Quote