Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #1

LED A/C Unit Kit

Has anyone done this before? How much work was it and did it turn out looking better o cheesy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-98-04-996-97-04-Boxster-986-LED-A-C-Unit-BLUE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46100QQihZ017QQite mZ270206359650QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Also I have seen the spoiler stickers... Do you think anyone can actually see them when your driving? I mean the angle that the spoiler pops up at seems to be an angle to which if you put the spoiler sticker on it you would not be able to see the sticker unless low to the ground.

tbplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #2

I'm not a fan of the orange lighting, but I wouldn't change the color unless I could do the whole dash.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #3

The LEDs look cool. The ad on eBay is an abomination to the English language though. I agree that I wouldn't do it though unless you were changing ALL of the LEDs to a new color - AC, radio, gauges. It might not be too expensive but may be a major PITA.

I think the spoiler stickers are meant to look cool when the car is parked and someone puts their spoiler up manually. The spoiler only comes up at 75 mph and you don't want anybody close enough to read the sticker at that speed any way... I agree that the angle is all wrong too. If I was going to do a sticker like that, I think I'd get one that reads, "Bye, Bye!".
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 AM   #4

looks like there are guys in this thread doing the whole interior..might be worth following.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15041-center-dome-light-led-possible-post133604.html#post133604
Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #5

What kept me from considering swapping out my lamps for blue ones to match my Alpine head unit was this: These aftermarket bulbs may not last as long as factory bulbs, requiring me to tear down the cluster or AC unit each time a lamp burned out.

It's time consuming and each time you remove it, you can break something.

It just doesn't make practical sense to me, even though a blue lamp interior would make my car look more uniform and unique.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid_J
looks like there are guys in this thread doing the whole interior..might be worth following.

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=133604#post133604
Yep... at least we try. I would suggest not buy leds from a porsche titled company though... They are extremely overpriced. I know because this is how I started. If you are really interested in doing it we can tell you what you need to buy and suggest an e-shop. I suggest that you buy all your leds from one (maybe two it depends on the color you will decide) so they all match.

Well, the problem is not the durability. Leds are known to last for thousands of hours. The installation is a bit of the problem the first time you do it (especially the AC). The main problem is that whatever you do is almost impossible to match your aftermarket headunit because the A/C LCD has a color itself, so the result is always a surprise.
My headunit has a purplish color (very nice) which I still try to match. Besides that the rest of the car looks amazing in UV though .
From my little experience i would suggest to go with red. Its nice, easy to find and you can match almost everything with it.
Anyway, that's my 0.02$ on the subject.
George
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #7

Couldn't help it had to attach a picture of my spoiler decal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I think the spoiler stickers are meant to look cool when the car is parked and someone puts their spoiler up manually. The spoiler only comes up at 75 mph and you don't want anybody close enough to read the sticker at that speed any way... I agree that the angle is all wrong too. If I was going to do a sticker like that, I think I'd get one that reads, "Bye, Bye!".

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote