Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #1

stebro sport exhaust

anyone try the stebro sport exhaust? deffening resonance as reported with the race version?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280194617779&rd=1

EB847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #2

Hi,

Is that exhaust different from what's been discussed here previously?

stebro race exhaust ?

If so, looking forward to hearing what others have to say about it!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #3

yes, it is different. larger muffler cans which are supposedly more street and resonance friendly. would love to hear from someone who bought... anyone??
Old 01-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #4

I have the race version. Before buying the exhaust, I called and spoke with Dan at Stebro. He said that the difference in sound in the race and street version were negligable. He told me that the tone of the race version sounded much nicer and the resonance was tolerable. I haven't heard the street version in person, but the race version has a great sound (he was right). The resonance is loud between 2-3k, but tolerable like he told me on the phone. After researching exhausts, I've read that ALL aftermarket exhausts have resonance problems, its just a matter of how much you can stand. The race exhaust is AWESOME though!!! I say get one, if you don't like it, you can turn around and sell it.
D.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #5

They were asking $975.00 but accepted $450.00 (plus $65.00 shipping to NY). I'll update you guys on how things work out.
YKS 971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:56 AM   #6

great info, thanks! let us know if your ears ring...
Old 01-31-2008, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L.
I have the race version. Before buying the exhaust, I called ....
just curious, did you note any performance increase? (25hp increase claimed by stebro is funny)
Old 01-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L.
After researching exhausts, I've read that ALL aftermarket exhausts have resonance problems, its just a matter of how much you can stand.

I believe this is mostly true, but I would not say that ALL aftermarket exhausts have resonance issues. Porsche's own PSE does not have resonance issues as is also true of the other modified or valved versions of the stock exhaust you can buy.

Basically you can use a very simple rule - if the exhaust just has a straight through muffler and is LOUD, then it will certainly have resonance issues. If the exhaust is big, relatively quiet, and is engineered with resonance chambers, then it probably won't have resonance issues.

I'm not 100% sure on the name, but I believe the Dansk exhaust is simiarly engineered to the stock exhaust with resonance chambers and does not resonate. I'm not sure how my Gemballa exhaust is engineered inside, but it's big, probably has resonance chambers, and is 100% resonance free.

I think you're correct though about resonance being prevalent in aftermarket exhausts, just with these few exceptions.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB847
just curious, did you note any performance increase? (25hp increase claimed by stebro is funny)
You get better throttle response and an increase in sound quality. As far as more hp, I'm sure there is but, it's nothing too noticeable. Made my 986 sound mean, has a rumble to it now.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:41 PM   #10

What?

What?

What did you say D.L.? I can't hear you!

I just got out of my 2000 S with the Stebro Racing Exhaust and I can't hear anything! Driving on I-40 in the 2k-3k RPM range is deafening. My S has a hardtop and the resonance w/ the top on will make your ears scream. With the softtop up, it's not much better. With the top down, it's sweet music. Stebro has no solution to fix the problem. The Stebro Racing version belongs on the track----with a helmet and ear plugs. Yellowboxster01 is right though; the Stebro does make the Boxster sound mean :troll:

Last edited by MidMotor2TrunkToter; 01-31-2008 at 07:44 PM.
MidMotor2TrunkToter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:11 AM   #11

"What?

What?

What did you say D.L.? I can't hear you!.."

That's funny!

dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote