Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #1

Took Delivery of a 2008 Boxster S

I took delivery of my 2008 Boxster S yesterday. I had a 2006 Boxster S and later sold it for a Lotus Elise. I regretted giving up the Boxster and now I am back. Some of the highlights of the equipment are: PASM, Sport Chrono, Short Shift, and Sport Exhaust... took delivery 5 months after order, and well worth the wait. So very happy to be back behind the wheel of a Porsche.
vincesf

vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #2

Beautiful car with all the right options!

What things made you switch from the Elise to the Boxster?

I had a down payment down on an Elise before I bought my boxster. The Lotus dealer was a real scumbag and played every game imaginable and I got fed up. Bought a used boxster S and never looked back but I always wondered what it would have been like with the Lotus.
saaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #3

Wow that's nice. Congratulations on a new member of the family.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Whoa someone ditching an Elise for a 987? That's a first that I've heard of. Please post why you ditched the Elise.

Nice new ride!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #5

Very nice! Congrats and welcome back!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #6

I love that color combination! Enjoy that ride!
TorpedoZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 PM   #7

First of all thank you for the congratulatory posts, and I have always enjoyed reading the posts of others who have just picked up their Boxster, and how they felt about their new acquisition. For those interested in hearing why I sold my Lotus Elise to get back into a Boxster, here is my story. In 2006 I purchased a new Lotus Elise (Ardent red with tan leather, pictured below). The first 15 minutes in the car, it was an absolute kick, very much like driving a go-kart. I picked up the car in Newport Beach and drove it home to the Bay Area (400 miles). By the time I got home, I was wondering what the heck I had done. I just paid $54,000, for a car that felt one small step up from a kit car. Mind you I just sold a 2006 Boxster S, that did everything so perfectly, I just took it for granted, and thought I would go a notch up for an even purer driving experience with the Lotus Elise. What I found was a car that annoyed the heck out of me everytime I crashed over a bump, I thought the driver or passenger window was going to crack. The shifter felt as if it was going to come off in my hands and just had a very flimsy feel to it. The steering wheel also felt flimsy and had a bit too much flex for my liking. Yes, the car was a kick to drive on the track and on the street, and people would just stop in their tracks and stare at you when you went by, but I just missed the feeling that the Boxster was the complete package to me. The optional $1,400.00 Elise convertible hardtop panel took almost 20 minutes to unscrew and remove and was such a hassle to take off that I loathed putting it back on, and never used it again. Fortunately the Elise also came with a soft top, and that only took about 5 minutes to put two brackets in place and roll out and stretch into place. In contrast the Boxster's convertible top operation is first-rate, and I feel that I am riding in a true convertible rather than a car with a T-top. The Elise's trunk lid had just a flimsy (there's that word again), metal pole to hold it up. In fact, if you opened the trunk too far, there was nothing to stop the trunk lid from crashing onto the C-Pillars and scratch paint. The radio had the worst reception of any car I ever had the pleasure to own. The dealer was of no help and said that because the frame was aluminum it was not optimal for grounding the radio antenna. I could go on, and some will say that I am totally missing the point of what the Lotus is about, but let's just sum it up to say that I am much happier to be driving the Boxster again. Lastly, some have said that I should have waited for the face-lift and direct fuel injection (I have mixed feelings on the planned styling changes), and was not willing to wait for direct fuel injection. I'll wait until Porsche perfects dfi and possibly the paddle-shifter in year 2 or 3 of the facelift, or in the 988. One thing is certain, my biggest regret is that I missed out on almost 2 years of Boxster enjoyment, I didn't want to make it 3 years.
vincesf

Last edited by vincesf; 01-22-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 AM   #8

vince,

GL with the new ride and thanks for the Elise summary. Very insightful.
peakpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Whoa someone ditching an Elise for a 987? That's a first that I've heard of. Please post why you ditched the Elise.

Nice new ride!

Same here! Most people I know (such as myself) switch from 987s to Elises and never look back!

Good choice and congrats Can't wait to be in another Porsche myself.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:39 AM   #10

Lucky you - congrats! I ordered my Red/Black Boxster S on Nov. 5 and hope to have it in a month or so (Jan. build). And I'm like you - why keep waiting for something new...you'll wind up dying before you ever get the enjoyment!
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:51 AM   #11

Lotus cars should have a big, bright disclaimer on them that says, "THIS CAR IS NOT FOR EVERYONE." You're not the only one who buys an Elise or Exige and then sells it after a short while.

I'm glad you're happy
Old 01-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #12

WOW..is the word! Congrats vince and glad you survive the waiting game

Hopefully we get to see you in one of the Bay Area Boxster Owner Local gatherings w/c happens once a month but on winter, I hibernate

BTW, Gerry is the name!

BV,
Glad to see you back in the forum, how's life treating you now and did you ever find a good car wash station...hehehehehehe!
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Congratulations! That Guards Red/Tan combo is my favorite. My next Porsche will have those colors.

Nice options, too.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 AM   #14

if the Elise weren't so expensive I would have bought one... even if it was just for a year. The car is designed to be paper clip heavy thus it will have the feel of a paper clip in many aspects. Too bad there isn't a willing large car builder that can afford to build an ultra light weight sports car for a small price tag. It would be worth the publicity alone and who knows it might be a commerical success like the Miata. I just couldn't get my head around $50K for a Toyota 1.8 engine.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Too bad there isn't a willing large car builder that can afford to build an ultra light weight sports car for a small price tag.
There is! They are called PORSCHE & the car IS THE BOXSTER....ha ha. Sorry couldn't help myself.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #16
FTD

thanks for the insight on the Elise. Your new S is BEAUTIFUL.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #17

x100 on the nice colors and options. Very nice indeed.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #18

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
if the Elise weren't so expensive I would have bought one... even if it was just for a year. The car is designed to be paper clip heavy thus it will have the feel of a paper clip in many aspects. Too bad there isn't a willing large car builder that can afford to build an ultra light weight sports car for a small price tag. It would be worth the publicity alone and who knows it might be a commerical success like the Miata. I just couldn't get my head around $50K for a Toyota 1.8 engine.
I'm with you. I love the Elise, but it's just too much for a simple car with that little Toyota power plant.
Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Lucky you - congrats! I ordered my Red/Black Boxster S on Nov. 5 and hope to have it in a month or so (Jan. build). And I'm like you - why keep waiting for something new...you'll wind up dying before you ever get the enjoyment!
Bob Z.:
I agree, as I was already 2 years without the car I really wanted. Everytime I saw a Boxster go down the road, I was kicking myself, and regretted ever selling my '06. It was painful waiting 5 months for delivery of my car, as 3 Porsche dealerships in the Bay Area refused to take my order for a Boxster S, and Carlen Porsche had a slot available for a November order on a December build. I would have gladly purchased the Limited Edition, which quite frankly is a much better deal, but I had to have guards red. I find with red, either people really like it, or dislike it, and of course I fall into the former rather than latter category. The choice of sand interior was a tough one. Black is classic and will hold up better, but I thought the sand interior looked sharp as well (see pic attached). What is not in the picture are the black Porsche floor mats that I substituted for the sand floor mats, and put in storage. Black mats will be a bit more bearable to maintain and go well with the other black pieces in the interior, as you can see with the interior picture of my former '06 Boxster S (bottom picture). I went with the aluminum center console to spice up the interior, which I believe the RS 60 will have as well. In short, it was what I wanted, and I really like the number of opportunities that Porsche gives you in personalizing your car. Albeit expensive options, but nevertheless options.
vincesf

Last edited by vincesf; 01-23-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #20

Vince-

Love the options list you picked.

My wife and I drove the Elise before buying our Boxster and I love the go kart feel, etc.

The killer for me on the deal was when the lotus sales guy returned with my wife driving the car. He was about my size (maybe a little smaller in height- 6'1-220lbs.) and he looked HUGE in the car.

I'm thinking I would look like the man with the shrunken car going down the road.

Enjoy the 987S

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps