Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #21

"Hopefully we get to see you in one of the Bay Area Boxster Owner Local gatherings w/c happens once a month but on winter, I hibernate

BTW, Gerry is the name!"

Gerry:
I look forward to participating in the Bay Area Boxster Owner Local gatherings.

Thanks,
vincesf

vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #22

Great car!

That red boxster is something else!!

I often wondered about getting a Lotus. I was thinking about that "pure" sports car deal.

After your experience, it makes me glad to have my 987.

Jason
jderiansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #23

Congrats on a great purchase.

I wondered why your recent posts were sans pic. You always had super sharp pics with outstanding backgrounds. Looking forward to your new sig. :dance:
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #24
bmussatti

Vincesf, very nice! Congrats!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #25
Track rat

Garage
Guards Red/Tan is my favorite color. I briefly looked at Lotus also... great pedigree. It looks like such an adrenalin rush for about 20 min. at the track and then...you gotta drive home in it. Even though my Box is a weekend toy I still wanted modern creature comforts for tooling around town. I like your reasoning. Enjoy!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #26

Congrats vincesf, and thanks for the "why did I make the switch" writeup. I have always wondered about the Elise, but don't think I will wonder anymore

Enjoy your new ride.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Congrats on a great purchase.

I wondered why your recent posts were sans pic. You always had super sharp pics with outstanding backgrounds. Looking forward to your new sig. :dance:
Thanks for noticing, as the scenic pictures were of my 2006 Boxster S. I look forward to the weather improving so I can go out an take some shots of the new car, as all I have are my delivery shots.
vincesf
Old 01-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #28

Nice car, I love the color combo, very classy. I also agree with you, I test drove an Elise and it was a pain to just get in the car and I felt very insignificant in the car. It handled great, and all that, but if you drove the car for more than an hour I can see it really taking a toll on your body comfort. Welcome back to the P family.
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #29

So much dislike for the Lotus... I find it very comfortable at 6'2" and 260 lbs. I'll stop there lest I be flamed for offering a different perspective.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 AM   #30
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
So much dislike for the Lotus... I find it very comfortable at 6'2" and 260 lbs. I'll stop there lest I be flamed for offering a different perspective.
At most you should weight about 225-230. I'll stop there lest I be flamed for offering a different perspective.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Please understand that the Lotus is a great car in its own right. I ultimately did enjoy the car very much. I was just sharing my thoughts in comparison to the Boxster, as I am always hearing the Porsche defection to Lotus. What is a shame is that I see Lotus's being resold with less than 1,000 miles on the odometer, as many people don't understand the car. I had a love to hate to love relationship with the car, and some probably sell their Lotus prematurely before being able to fully appreciate it. Had I never owned my'06 Boxster, I may have remained content with the Lotus. My other major complaint is that the price point is too high, and getting higher, as I priced an '08 Elise SC with the 220 hp supercharged engine, and was at $64,000 equipped the way I would want it? And even with a supercharger, I felt that it still would never replace the '06 Porsche I gave up. My suggestion for those that want to experience and own a Lotus is to buy a good used '05 or '06 in the low $30,000 range, but beware, it might not be all that you thought it would be.
vincesf

Last edited by vincesf; 01-24-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesf
My suggestion for those that want to experience and own a Lotus is to buy a good used '05 or '06 in the low $30,000 range, but beware, it might not be all that you thought it would be.
vincesf
As I said below we originally were going for the Lotus and had it not been for the shady dealer I would probably be on the Lotus forum now. But the problem I had is that it seemed that the Boxster would be a much better car to "live with everyday" as Jeremy Clarkson would say. Plus the one we were looking at had the sport package and had a darn harsh ride for daily driving. Another factor is that I don't think my wife would enjoy, or look dignified, in getting in and out of it.

I agree it's a great car and fun to drive but as many have said, "I just need more". Also the reliability is somewhat subject when looking at all the surveys, owners experiences, etc. But that is just my subjective impression and I haven't owned one so I can't say.

I really appreciate you sharing your experiences vincesf, it's important for folks that are looking at a boxster and are considering cars in a similar market. We also drove the Merc 350 SLK and it is a nice car too but MB's reliability reputation lately scared me away.
saaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:51 AM   #33
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
At most you should weight about 225-230. I'll stop there lest I be flamed for offering a different perspective.
you're funny.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
At most you should weight about 225-230.
Yeah, I know. Poor Lotus
Old 01-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #35

Vincesf, I love your new Boxster. Great color, great interior color. I am thinking about buying a Cayman in those colors. However I may go with a Boxster.

Norm
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminhouston
Vincesf, I love your new Boxster. Great color, great interior color. I am thinking about buying a Cayman in those colors. However I may go with a Boxster.

Norm
Thank you. You can't go wrong with either a Cayman or a Boxster, but see if you can test-drive both cars so you can choose the best car for you.
vincesf
Old 01-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #37

Well, it's been one week since I have taken delivery on my car, and I am thoroughly amazed at how beautifully built this car is. After taking delivery of my Lotus Elise in '06, I stopped looking for flaws, as it was too depressing. My '07 Honda S2000 was put together very nicely and made the Lotus look like it was a kit car; however, the Porsche tops them all for quality.
vincesf
Old 01-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Congrats! It's beautiful. My Boxster is schedule to be built Feb. 11.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #39

Perfect, you'll have it by Spring.
Vincesf
Old 02-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #40

Congrats!

Your car looks great and I think you have the perfect color combo.....but then I might be somewhat biased.....

2007 Boxster S 6 spd manual,GuardsRed/BlackTop/Sand Full Leather,Sport Design Pkg.,19" Carrera Rims w/color crest,Sport Chrono,Adaptive Sport Seats, WindStop, Smooth Leather Steering Wheel/Center, Aluminum Painted Roll Bar, Porsche Crest in Headrest,Factory Sand Mats
Middle Age Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote