Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #1

Intro

Whats up everyone? New to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. Thinking about trading in my 2000 s4 for a boxster s in hopes to one day put a supercharger on it.

Was wondering also what aftermarket companies you guys are using? Suspensions, wheels, headers, chips, exhaust, etc. Pros and cons? I have checked out the couple of threads regarding buying a boxster, which were very helpful.

Whats the overall consensus about this car over a 911? Moving from the s4, will i be able to, in the future of course, make the boxster equal to or faster than my s4 (stage 2+)?

Thanks in advance, cheers!

Joe

black_bi-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #2

Welcome.

You need to hit the ol' search button and do a bit of data mining. There is a ton of answers and opinions on this site and RennTech. And Pelican.

Try this one too:

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

You can make a Box as fast as you can empty a bank account. My opinion - who needs a back seat? Some do.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #3

Hello Joe and welcome to the site. Looks like you're in Sarasota too. You're more than welcome to check out my ride sometime.
SRQ Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum!

Couple of thoughts off the top of my head:

1) In my opinion a Boxster is not a great car to own if it is your intention to use aftermarket parts to add power. Generally speaking it is extremely expensive with nominal gains.
2) If you get a Boxster I would look to buy a newer one with a larger displacement, if power is a concern.
3) No experience on adding a supercharger, can't really help you there.
4) Boxster vs. 911. You can find lots of threads on this but to sum it up, the Boxster has better balance with the mid-engine the 911 is very *ss heavy. But the 911 has bigger engines with more torque and a backseat. I think the 911 can be a monster on the track with a more experienced driver. A Boxster is more foregiving and much easier to track. The Cayman is probably the best overall from a pure balance perspective.
5) For suspensions, exhaust, header etc.. there are lots of options. Do some thread searching.

Hope this helps.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #5

Which Boxster S are you thinking about 986 or 987? (986 is the 1997-2004 and 987 is 2005 and newer) Imagine Auto did a 986s supercharged the owner is a frequent visitor on 6speedonline.com I heard it was quite the monster.

As far as making the Boxster faster than RS4, a stage 2 is about 350+/- hp? IMHO I would have to say no. Again it depends how much money you are spending. If you want a fast Boxster look into a motor swap $12-15k will get you a 3.4 at about 300hp, will it be faster than a modded RS4??? hhmmm that would be a good race, drag or track.
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:02 AM   #6

Thanks guys! I will certainly be doing some more thread searching! I am definately looking in the 986 market. It's more in my price category. My s4, i think, is around the 340 range for horsepower, and it pulls pretty hard, however, it ways at least 1000 lbs. more than the boxster. I had heard somewhere that you quote, "loose 12hp per 100lbs." If this is the case, it should be pretty close with a boxster s!

Anyways, i definately understand the big $$ involved for big hp gains, as it is the same for my audi, unfortunately. A motor swap would be cool, but why couldn't you just bore out the 3.2l to a 3.4l? I know that back in the 80's, i believe, porsche was using a special casting process for their blocks which is why you couldn't do it back in then. Is this still the case?

SRQ Boxster, do you ever make it out to any of the Suncoast get togethers?
Thanks again!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #7

[QUOTE=

SRQ Boxster, do you ever make it out to any of the Suncoast get togethers?
Thanks again![/QUOTE]

We go to several of their events. I'll be at the Polo Grounds event this weekend (Sun. 20th).
SRQ Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Find a Box with a blown motor, buy it cheap, and drop in a 3.8L X51 crate motor. Now you can kiss all the 911's goodbye on the straights and devour them in the turns. This of course is assuming you have the driving skill needed to hang onto it. It's gonna cost a pretty penny.

Most of the other bolt on aftermarket HP mods for this car are pretty limited in terms of real world performance gains. They are extremely effective at emptying your bank account though. All of the top times for Boxsters in SoCal are still being laid with stock motors.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:56 AM   #9

[QUOTE=Topless]Find a Box with a blown motor, buy it cheap, and drop in a 3.8L X51 crate motor. QUOTE]

That would be sweet!! Thanks for the info.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #10

The Boxster is an excellent car and excels at a lot of things -- but as folks on this thread have discussed, its not a good platform to start from to get cheap horsepower gains.

There are much better cars to start from if your goal is inexpensive HP & TQ. For example, I am selling my (stock) BMW 335. Its a much better starting point from a tuning perspective. It has a factory twin turbos & most of the car rags agree that stock it will run to sixty in the high 4 second range. There are several tuners out there (like Vishnu) that sell a removable piggyback chip that adds 50+ HP & nearly 100(!) lb-ft of TQ. For $1500 that is an unbeatable value...

\