Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #1

Halogen Bulbs To Go With Litronics?

I picked up some litronic lights this weekend for my '00 Boxster S. Overall I'm pretty happy with the lights, but the yellow halogen lights left (fog and high beams) don't look good. So I'm wondering what kind of fix others with litronics have done.

I bought some Sylvania Silverstar lights. Fortunately I tried one package before opening the other since I was NOT impressed by what these did. Using the Silverstars for the H7 fog lights is a total waste. There is a yellow lense in bottom section of the fog light housing. So, no matter what, the fog lights will give out a slight yellow light. I kind of noticed an improvement with the Silverstars, but only very, very slight and not worth $38 a pair to do it. I swapped regular Sylvania halogens back into the fog lights and now I'm running the Silverstars as the high beam H7 bulbs. They still don't look good to me though as they're noticeably more yellow than the litronics. Maybe I just picked up some bad Silverstar bulbs... Well I'm stuck with them now. Have others had a similar experience with Silverstar bulbs?

What are you guys doing for the H6W city/parking light in the litronics housing? I could not even find this bulb locally and the parts guys didn't recognize it. So I figured finding it in a white/blue version would be tough. I happened to have some blue translucent paint that I sprayed them with. Looks much better although too blue. I prefer the look to the yellow though. Anyone found a cheap source for a white LED version? I've seen some posts that mention one internet source. I'm wondering though what others are actually using or if they're just leaving them stock.

Kirk

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #2

The city lights are 2825's I have yellow ones in mine. Some guys go crazy when they see it at night because my hid's dont look white enough but I like the yellow when I am gassing up, or at dusk.
They are used in instruments, along with the interior dome.

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/bulbSearch-1-PORSCHE-Boxster.htm

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #3

there was a thread here: renntech link where a guy put in LEDS for the parking lights. Guys also cut out the amber internal turn signal lens and put in silver lights that flash amber. Well, after tearing my front trunk apart last wknd installing litronics in my '01S, I'm going to save that job for another day. PITA
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp987
there was a thread here: renntech link where a guy put in LEDS for the parking lights. Guys also cut out the amber internal turn signal lens and put in silver lights that flash amber. Well, after tearing my front trunk apart last wknd installing litronics in my '01S, I'm going to save that job for another day. PITA

That's interesting... the Renntech link you gave lists the city/parking light as a standard 194 bulb. That's not what's in my litronics though. Mine are a H6W bulb and at the auto parts store they had it listed as the 2825 that Gary referred to (I think they're the same). There must be a difference between different years of the litronics... The 194 would be easier to replace as it's more common.

I'm not sure I'm going to do the amberdectomy on my litronics (cutting out the amber turn signal plastic). I think the litronics look MUCH better than stock. I can't say that the tiny remaining amber really bothers me. We'll see if it does grow to bug me though.

Kirk

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote