Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #21
porsche986

yer i too get stuff shouted at me... i guess its expected when you have a porsche and they dont or ever will. However i would say 97% of everyone give the thumbs up and wave, its only a few who get jellous...

All i do is slow down and explain when they have a car half as good get back to me, then they say there mate has a ferrari enzo ect....

i have had a garden plant pot thrown on my bonnet which maked it, also a tyre let down and red spray paint across the back window... its annoying and if i cought the arse hold i would give him a good hiding!

Old 09-27-2004, 03:51 PM   #22
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche986
i have had a garden plant pot thrown on my bonnet which maked it, also a tyre let down and red spray paint across the back window... its annoying and if i cought the arse hold i would give him a good hiding!
Holy crap!! That's horrible! I can take some verbal abuse, but when people start damaging the car I draw the line. The Audi TT which I drove before my Boxster, had some fool get up on the roof and crush it in with boots. There were shoe marks all over it and it was crumpled - heartbreaking.
sTTevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:00 PM   #23
Forum Contributor

I am 33 and so, I do not get the 'mid-life' crisis remarks, although a friend did joke about it.

However, as an first generation immigrant who came to US with only $1200 in his pocket 4 years ago, I do get the 'daam him' comments. Funnily, these looks from my fellow Indians!

Most friends - both Indians and Americans - have remarked ' just wait for your kids to grow up / aren't you going overboard? / how can you be so financially irresponsible? etc.'

All I can say is that the only person I need to reply to in life is my wife and she was the person who urged me to go for a Porsche. She is amuzed by my passion for the car but accepts it as my childhood dream.

My 2 cents - we will get these comments and life is too short to respond to them. I will certainly take a very hard line at Vandalism but verbul assults I can ignore. As long as my significant other supports my lifestyle, I do not have to explain to anybody else
sudeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally posted by Subanez
Enjoy the remarks, folks. Even the bad ones. It simply means that to most people in the world, the name PORSCHE still holds that awe-inspiring, jealousy-inducing power. That's what we like. We want people to understand what our vehicles really are, that they AREN'T the 350Z in the parking lot, that a tricked out Honda can't come close.

I knew when I bought my Boxster that I would have all of these comments come my way. It may sound trite, but even when I had an Acura, I got many comments like that. It came as no surprise.

And if you really want to "play" the field, just smile when people ask you how much it costs. If they are going to be ignorant and claim that you are "too rich for your own good," let them think that way. (By the way, I'm 23, and nowhere NEAR being "too rich for my own good," hahaha)

We all make choices in our lives, and I CHOOSE PORSCHE.

Haha! Good one. Well said!
Fortunately, I haven't had some of those aforementioned aweful things happen to me (*knocks on wood).

I honestly can't understand why people would even envy others for their success (or even a perception of success). If you perservere and work hard, seeing something nice like a Boxster should serve as an inspiration. It certainly did for me when I was a university student working 2 jobs and caring for a family!. Did I envy the guys that drove them? Not at all! I wanted to be those guys! Hence I busted my butt, worked really hard and now I have a beautiful Boxster to call my own.
saphriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:42 AM   #25

Frankly I don't think it is so much envy as it is recognition of the somewhat regrettable reputation that Porsche drivers have among a segment of the population. In the movies and on TV, if one of the characters is being presented as greedy, egotistical, self-centered, and generally a snooty boor, they stick his butt in a Porsche to reinforce the image.
The question is, why does Porsche rate this kind of a reputation? I think a good portion of it has to be the way Porsche markets it's product. I think they figured out in the '80s that marketing to sports car and racing nuts wasn't going to support their business model any longer. They had to expand into a segment of the market that knows little or nothing about what Porsche means in the automotive industry, and cares mainly about what ownership of one presumably says about their own position in society.
As Pogo Possum once said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:18 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I hate that people have to be crappy like that. I don't have a Boxster yet, but I'm pretty sure it's what I want. I drive a Ford Explorer. I watch people in Porsches and drool and dream about getting one. But I used to have a 944 when I was in college. I had people ask me why I needed to work if I had a Porsche (hellloooo!!! I PAID for it!) and "It must be nice to have money like that" (the car was used and cost $10k.) When I had a jaguar I had a woman at the brake tag inspection station tell me to put my car in drive with the handbrake on and hit the gas. When the car moved (it had a pretty powerful engine) she told me it shouldn't and she'd have to fail me. I told her I WILL NOT do that again and it's not good for my vehicle and just argued with her until she gave me the stupid braketag. I found out years later that they would try to get cash bribes from people for the tags. I assume now she was trying to do this because I drove a Jaguar (also bought used). I had people make comments when I drove an Audi that I drove the same car as the CEO where I worked at the time. Well who cares? His was new and mine was used anyway, but why in the hell do people have to bring you down and act like you're and ass because you EARNED something nice? Even if you were given it as a gift, so what? So I've dealt with enough of that attitude in the past to be ready for it when I get my Boxster. I even told my boss I might have to park my new car when I get it around the block so our clients won't make the "if you're driving a car like that you're charging too much" comment.

Oh, and I have a brother who drives a Lexus SUV and has had it keyed in a parking lot (and they started over because the first trying wasn't deep enough for their taste) and has had a guy working at the drive-thru ask him how much he paid for it. He said when people at his work ask him why he bought a Lexus he tells them "My sister made me do it." Ha! He's not the perfect image of a lexus driver I guess but he still loves his car. He loves to eat fast food, wears clothing with stains on them, and likes to sit home and play videogames.

My mom always told me some little proverb about crabs trying to climb out of a barrel. When one almost gets out the other dumb crabs will pull him back down. It's like people. One dude does well and everyone has to give him **************** for it.

Last edited by LoveBunny; 09-28-2004 at 09:21 AM.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 05:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by sudeep
However, as an first generation immigrant who came to US with only $1200 in his pocket 4 years ago, I do get the 'daam him' comments. Funnily, these looks from my fellow Indians!
Once I showed up at Gurdwara on a holy day and there was a driver with a 996 convertible. Obviously we parked side by side and had great comraderie. Niether of us had ever met a Sikh driving a Porsche before, much less both blue and convertibles! It was terrific fun to meet 'one of my own'.

When I purchased my Boxster I had no idea I was becoming part of an actual community of owners. Sure BMW has a club, but it isn't the same. I really do believe it is a lot of friendships between Porsche drivers that keep some people loyal to the brand car after car.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 05:38 PM   #28
Forum Contributor

Hi

I too have a blue boxster - so the community keeps growing!!

sudeep is offline   Reply With Quote