Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2004, 06:57 AM   #1

Fed up!!!

I am SOOO tired of people making fun of me because I own a boxster (or porsche in general). Yesterday, as I was getting into my car to leave work, two co-workers walk by and one says "There he goes in his mid-life crisis car." This is just the latest of a series of remarks I have received from "friends", neighbors and co-workers. They range from the mid-life crisis remarks to the how can you afford a porsche remarks to the boxster is not a real porsche remarks. What is ironic is that at work there are 2 z3's, an S2K, an SLK and various other mercs, a TT, a 350Z and a host of other "performance" and "luxury" cars, mostly owned by people who make less money than I do. And yet noone makes remarks about them and their vehicles. So, what is it about a porsche that singles me out for such ridicule and derision? I just don't get it. Of course, my revenge is that I get to drive it! Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 07:58 AM   #2

you know...i live in boston, MA, and I gotta say i have not really experienced anything like that....had the car about 17 months or so....

have only had good comments.....
in fact i had a little kid come up to me cuz he thought it was a ferrari...

it seems that people are also uneducated about the price of boxsters, they seem to think it is a very expensive car..when for $20,000 to $35,000 you can get an excellent pre-owned one....

so it's basically a new 350Z or a used boxster..no contest by my standards...

could be your "friends" are just jealous...or just no absolutely nothing about porsche or cars in general.......a mid-engine sports car is a true testament to the word spoirts car....and a mercedes for example is more known for luxury than anything,..
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 08:19 AM   #3

I think anybody that drives a Porsche has had experiences such as you describe. It comes with the territory. I personally have had people throw fruit at me, throw rocks at the car, and hold their nose and turn away. Screw 'em.

Virtually everybody recognizes a Porsche as a relatively expensive adult toy. I don't want anybody to get their undies in a bundle over my calling our favorite marque a toy. Sports cars in general are toys, i.e., fun but not very practical. They are on the other end of the automotive continuum from the minivan, which is terribly practical, but not much fun to drive. I own two sports cars, plus a minivan and a pickup, so believe me, I know the difference.
There are periods in life where it is possible to have a car that is a toy; 1) Young and unmarried, and 2) Old(er) and able to afford a second (or third, or fourth) car you don't need to haul babies, groceries and lumber in.
When people accuse you of buying your Boxster as a salve for mid-life crisis, just smile and say, "Damn right. And I earned it."
Then be glad you didn't have to settle for a Miata or a Harley.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:33 AM   #4

Re: Fed up!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ranbar2
[B]I am SOOO tired of people making fun of me because I own a boxster (or porsche in general).

To the rest of the a** holes let them eat cake. Get in your car and enjoy you don't have apologize to anyone. Sometimes it would be better to comeback with a nasty remark but in retrospect it is far better and more effective being nice and wishing them that when they grow up and mature they can trade in their minivan or SUV for a marque with heritage and panache, a Porsche.
I just drive my car enjoy it and the rest is incosequential to me. Far many love the car that hate it and if given the chance they would own one. Just consider your self lucky and blessed that you are the one. Keep those rev's high 4.5K enjoy the music of the engine.
Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 10:22 AM   #5

When people (mostly women, by the way) say "enjoying your midlife crisis, are you?" I always reply with the following:

"Absolutely! When I was just a little boy I'd see men driving their Porsches on the highway and my mother would always say they were experiencing a mid-life crisis. I knew I wanted a Porsche in the worst way, so I dreamed of finally having my own mid-life crisis so I could get one. I've been waiting all my life for a crisis like this. Isn't it great to be a 42 year old bald guy with enough cash to drive this incredible car?"

I tell you the truth... Until I was fourteen, I did not think Porsches were purchased by anyone who was NOT experiencing a mid-life crisis. It reflects the fact that I was raised in a very conservative financial household.

So, to all the other Boxster owners on this board, I solute you for driving a wonderful car regardless if it's a vain attempt to find true happiness or not.

My boxster sure makes me happy!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:10 AM   #6

My favorite line that I hear is that it is a girls car, and they are right i get ALOT of girls with this car.
it is best just to smile and give them the "you wish look"
Automon
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:36 PM   #7
b0xt0La

"mid life crisis"? never heard that one before. If I knew someone who attacked me like that, I would get back to at them 10 folds. THe only people who say comments like that are jealous, you don't hear them saying the same thing about the guy with the honda now do you?
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by RandallNeighbour
When people (mostly women, by the way) say "enjoying your midlife crisis, are you?" I always reply with the following:

"Absolutely! When I was just a little boy I'd see men driving their Porsches on the highway and my mother would always say they were experiencing a mid-life crisis. I knew I wanted a Porsche in the worst way, so I dreamed of finally having my own mid-life crisis so I could get one. I've been waiting all my life for a crisis like this. Isn't it great to be a 42 year old bald guy with enough cash to drive this incredible car?"

My boxster sure makes me happy!

At 45, my replies to the mid-life crisis line are:

A) I've always been a convertible guy - this is just a lot nicer version of the Fiat X1/9 I had at 20.

B) This is a birthday gift from my wife because I agreed to go to work and earn a living each day. I love this car and I love my wife.

Frankly - this is more like a mid-life celebration than a crisis.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:09 PM   #9

Having only had my Boxster for a week, I haven't had any comments like that. However, since I have owned at least 5 convertibles, a couple limey sports cars, (including a very amped up MGB autocross car currently), 4 Jags, and gawd knows what else over the years, I don't think anyone will accuse me of a midlife crisis. I've been driving these kind of cars for 30 years! If I got that, my reaction would be to look at them with disgust, and say "I think your momma's calling you, boy".
scubaguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:20 PM   #10

All I got to say is just be thankful you don't get the looks and remarks I do. I am 25 with a 986 and I get these dirty looks from older people who are jealous. Or I get the "he must be a drug dealer" or "spoiled kid" comments.
I say, "Spoiled my @ss, my parents came to this country(US) as imagrants and nothing to show but the close on their backs. I know what its like to have to save and strive for better. What have you done? Maxed out 10 credit cards and still trying to make ends meat? Who's fault is that?"
ignorant people I say
Its not my fault I work hard for my money and don't spend it like I'm racing to bankruptcy.
Pleople are just jealous cause they are stuck in their lives and can't "LIVE their lives"
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:36 PM   #11
Forum Contributor

Yeah I've had my fair share of comments. I had some people spit at me from an SUV when I had the roof off, and they laughed. They sped down the street, and I happened to meet them again at the next service station. They were at the next pump when I pulled in to fill up. When I got out at stared them down (being 6'2" and 115kg) they couldn't even look me in the eye... such gutless losers.

I've never had the "mid-life crisis" comments as I'm only 27. But when I get other comments I just remember that most people that have to say things like that are just jealous and would be driving a Boxster if they could
sTTevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 06:18 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
Tqtran and Ad Sach,

I agree with you both.

When I was 19 (in 1989-1990) I bought my first new car a $24K Buick Regal Gran Sport. I also drove vintage Porsches at that time including my 2 1969 911s. I started my first business at that time restoring VWs and Porsches.

Most of my peer's parents were bent that I owned a car nicer than they had. Without getting to know me or visit my business, they also thought I must be into something illegal.

This was my first lesson demonstrating complacent people can be viciously jealous of successful people. I experienced this drama more in California. The eternal battle between the "have" and the "have not".

I just turned 35 last month and I have owned convertibles all of my driving days.

When I bought my 04 Boxster in June, I knew I would catch hell from the people I work with and some of my existing clients.

Snotty comments start with, "is that an '01 or '02?" When I tell them its and '04 and a bought it new, the attitude shifts.

Within the past 2 years I bought 4 new vehicles. Its started with my G35, my co-wokers and clients thought it was a Lexus. 4 months later I bought my new Honda Gold Wing (GL1800) motorcycle. At that time I heard grumblings from most co-workers. A month later I bought my $29K msrp 04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, which I found USED with 1200 miles on it, saving $7500 getting it for 21.5k. Then came the "red" Boxster, on which I traded my G35.

Not that it was any of their business, I reminded them, I am single, a homeowner, own a sucessful database design and consulting business, manage my money well, I have no debt outside of my mortgage, no kids, credit cards at zero (never carry a balance more than 30 days), I have been working ever since I was 14 and have a passion for cars.

The comment that I find shuts them up is, "My Boxster brand new costs less than your Tahoe, Expedition, Hummer, BMW, Mercedes ML, third + ex wife and all of the alimony payments.

Its funny to hear most people think this is an 80 to 100K car to be shocked when I tell them it was under 50K.

I have busted my butt to get to where I am in life and deserve to have a new Porsche. I really don't care about their snippy little comments anymore. I know who I am. I know where I've been and I know where I'm going in life.

Kudos to anyone fortunate enough to own a Porsche of any year or model.

David

Last edited by bamaboxster; 09-25-2004 at 06:28 AM.
bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 07:12 AM   #13

I have seen a lot of this myself, but 99% of it was from people at work. The only time I really remember something like this was when I was washing my car one afternoon and a bunch of guys ( high teens low twenties ) drove by in some non-descript 4 door American sedan thing and one of the guys in the back seat flicked me off. I started laughing and the guy turned away really fast like he realized how stupid he was.

I moved here to St. Louis a few years ago after being born and raised in the Northern Virginia area. To say that the attitudes of the two “peoples” are different is an understatement. I was the first "young" person to be hired at work with limited exception in the last 15 years. The vast majority of people that I work with are VERY conservative and typical Mid-Western types. I got a lot of the "how can you afford that . . . . ect" BS. One guy went the opposite direction and called me overpaid. I have found that many people here are very resistant to change, hate vehicles not made in America, and skeptical of the morally corrupt individuals from either coast. I represent all three to them.

A few people have also made the point that most people don’t know what a Boxster costs. I 100% agree with this. The other day I was at a local park and some guy came up to me and asked what kind of car this was. He responded "Wow . . Porsche Boxster . . . we don’t get many of those around here." However, there really aren’t many around here. It’s not uncommon for me to go 2 or 3 weeks without coming across another Porsche let alone a Boxster. However, there are 9 million Corvettes.

Anyway, sorry this became long winded.

"Changing St. Louis one Mid-Westerner at a time since 2000"
Old 09-25-2004, 09:56 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Enjoy the remarks, folks. Even the bad ones. It simply means that to most people in the world, the name PORSCHE still holds that awe-inspiring, jealousy-inducing power. That's what we like. We want people to understand what our vehicles really are, that they AREN'T the 350Z in the parking lot, that a tricked out Honda can't come close.

I knew when I bought my Boxster that I would have all of these comments come my way. It may sound trite, but even when I had an Acura, I got many comments like that. It came as no surprise.

And if you really want to "play" the field, just smile when people ask you how much it costs. If they are going to be ignorant and claim that you are "too rich for your own good," let them think that way. (By the way, I'm 23, and nowhere NEAR being "too rich for my own good," hahaha)

We all make choices in our lives, and I CHOOSE PORSCHE.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by QporscheQ
I have seen a lot of this myself, but 99% of it was from people at work. ...One guy went the opposite direction and called me overpaid. I have found that many people here are very resistant to change, hate vehicles not made in America, and skeptical of the morally corrupt individuals from either coast. I represent all three to them.
After 1 year of unemployment, I was forced to take a state job in a semi-small town; Albany, NY. I am used to the shock and resentment I experience wearing a turban. It was harder on me to experience the shock and resentment over my 02 S.

Compared to those I share a parking lot with, I am financially fortunate. I am a contractor (not a employee), I work in Information Technology(not the Department of Labor), and I come from private industry(not goverment). Protected as they are from the threat of job loss, benefit erosion, and rising health care costs - these folks don't really understand the total worth of thier governement pension and health benefits. They actually argue with me when i tell them what I pay for Blue Cross for my family.

To bring myself back from the brink of rambling- most of the folks I work with CAN NOT afford even a used Boxster. It is a little embarassing to drive it to work, but I'm not willing to pretend to be less successful and enjoy my life less just to make them feel better about the choices thay made in life. If they need to console themselves with grasshopper and the ant parables, I don't mind as long as they aren't rude about it.

P.S. I might look like a grasshopper to them on the outside, but I have a nice enough retirement account to be an ant on the inside.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:33 AM   #16
Lux

Some people are just ****************************s. There's only 2 ways to deal with them. Either ignore them or (my personal favorite) rip them a new one.

Comments on my Boxster have been very positive. Even the kids in the drive-thru window at McDonalds tell me 'nice car'. I'm only 33 so I don't get any of the midlife crisis stuff either. But I'm sure that'll come later.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 05:37 PM   #17

Seems like this board is fairly youthful and not full of "midlife-crisis" cases. I got my 03 S last year at the ripe age of 23. I was still in my last semester in school. I've had some negative feedback about my car but nothing big. Mostly lots and lots of positve feedback form people. My friends ask me if the car helps me get laid(LOL) and I just tell them not particularly. I'm sure it may have helped my cause once or twice but no huge dramatic before and after affect. The girls do usually get pretty excited when they see my ride though; even more so when they get to go for a ride. It doesn't take much to impress 20 yr old coeds.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 08:28 PM   #18

Very interesting discussion. I live in Dayton, Ohio, a pretty middle class town, but in the south suburbs a very affulent area with a lot of nice cars. I see literally hundreds of soccer moms driving (usually alone) in giant pearl white Escalades, or something similiar, getting 8 mpg. Frankly, the waste of such huge vehicles appalls me. I believe that driving a reasonable fuel efficent sports car makes economic as well as enviromental sense, over and above whatever pleasure we derive. And, like most of us in this group, I work hard, my wife works hard, we pay taxes, send our kids to college, and pay the price for the American dream. Anybody wants to ******************** at me for my taste in cars can go F*** themselves and the Chevette they rode in on.
scubaguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:38 PM   #19

I work hard, my wife works hard, we pay taxes, send our kids to college, and pay the price for the American dream. Anybody wants to ******************** at me for my taste in cars can go F*** themselves and the Chevette they rode in on. [/B][/QUOTE]

There is no need to explain or apologize for your achievements or your taste. The vast majority of the people who make these remarks are loosers and envious individuals. I was working with in an office that were hispanics like myself but I unlike them I have upper classs taste and manners due to my upbringing in pre-Castro Cuba. I take people for what they are not for what they pretend to be. The owners of the company liked my business knowledge and thought highly of me until I got the Boxster. After the Boxster the envy came out in every pore of their bodies, remarks were from penis envy to old man and everything else in between. On a particular day that it really got nasty I just remarked "Well when all your insults are said and done even the sophomoric ones you have to download from the net, I am still and continue to be smarter than you, I provided both of my kids went to Cornell one went to Cornell Law, I speak English better than you and Spanish, not Spanglish like you, . In short I think I should not worry by any moronic joke or nasty remark you make about me judging the source of such statement and that when I go home I have the Porsche and you don't.
Obviously the stay I had there confirmed the fact that Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Cubans don't mix.
I now work with Americans of Italian descent who don't have any axe to grind and treat me super nice and the owner told me I wish I get your car but my wife won't let me.
Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:55 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
I wasn't going to go there, but I am a minority myself. I am 2/3rds Native American (Pawnee) and the rest, a lot of other things.

I'm sort of like the Tiger Woods type, more like "Carlton Banks" a little preppy.

I too am living the american dream. My Boxster is one of my rewards for my hard work.

I don't fit any of the typical stereotypes that society puts on me.

Appearing as a "mixed brother man" being native american, my recreational activities often surprise people.

I was on a swim team for 8 years growing up, I surf, I fly small planes, I skydive, scuba, I love to play tennis, I love America's Cup Regattas and sail sailboats, play lacrosse and play raquetball. My favorite thing is the shocked look on people's faces when I'm tearing up the ski slopes then join them on the lift lines where they get a real good look at me.

I too caught hell for this growing up playing all of the "upper crusty" sports instead of playing what was expected, baskeball or football.

Sorry, I didn't grow up in the "hood" nor did I disrespect anyone who did. Grandma just about beat etiquette and manners into me at a very young age which served me well in life. Grandpa showed me how to manage money and success.

We all come from various backrounds and experiences in life and we have one thing in common, a Porsche. This thread shows Porsche automobiles are the most recognizable symbol of success.

Dave:

bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote