Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo23dog
That dealership is one of those smallish privately owned lots on Route 1 in Stafford, VA not too far from the Quantico Marine Corps Base. I"m not sure they would know much about Boxsters, or P-cars in general.

As a former dealer I would assert the following

1-He lied-end of story.

2-He is a stupid dealer. Just as bad. If he doesn't even know the model, how would he know how TO BUY A FINE PORSCHE?

These cars are not easy to buy well. A stupid dealer is as bad as a crooked one.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:35 AM   #22

I emailed the dealer and told him the car is not an 's' model.
They replied: 'you are absolutely correct, it is not an 's' model. thanks.'
We'll see if they change the listing.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
As a former dealer I would assert the following

1-He lied-end of story.

2-He is a stupid dealer. Just as bad. If he doesn't even know the model, how would he know how TO BUY A FINE PORSCHE?

These cars are not easy to buy well. A stupid dealer is as bad as a crooked one.

Brucelee is right. For that money you should be able to find a good example where you can talk to the owner, look at maint. records, etc. to find the history of the car and get a sense for how the owner treated it.

If the dealer plays the "I don't know anything about it, innocent me" then you might as well blindly buy from an auction for about 1/2 this price (salvage auction, dealer auction would be a bit more). This dealer would obviously be worthless if you found something major wrong soon after you bought it so better to buy from reputable dealer or better yet a private party who owned the car for a long time.
saaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
that burn in the headlight is from someone switching to a bulb that's too hot...most likely trying to get the Litronics look with out actually spending the money to switch. Replacement for that light, whether to Litronics or to halogens, won't be cheap.
Not necessarily.
I have a '98 and a '99 none of which have had other than the factory H7 55 W bulbs installed and they both have yellowed (burnt).
The early ('97-'99) headlights had a plastic material that was susceptible to yellowing.
I bought a set of used (almost new) headlights from someone who upgraded to lits for $150 at the auction site.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro