Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #41

I believe the Dodge Durango can be equipped to tow in the 8-9,000lb range.

1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #42

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
Rick, unfortunetly, there is not many options for dock space where I fish. It's in the very lowest point of Louisiana, and needless to say, not many developers want to put money into something they cannot insure. What was there before is now gone with Katrina.

Buying a truck is not an option. I sold my 2007 4x4 trd double cab toyota tundra that hauled 11k lbs just yesterday. I will let you guys know how it goes.
I just noticed you're in Mandeville. Wanna buy my Lexus SUV? I don't think it would tow much though.

I used to have a boss who went and bought himself a boat. He drove a little tiny pickup truck. I don't think he really factored in the issue of towing when he bought the boat. I think he had a lot of trouble towing it behind his truck.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #43

Actually, I just got back with my new ride.

I bought a black Touareg v8 with air suspension, 4 zone AC, locking differentials, keyless entry/start, nav, parking sensors, heated seats, ect. ect. ect... I am totally in love with the car, and the boxster gets to rest in the garage for a few days.

My dealership had 1 on the lot and it had a v6, so I started looking elsewhere for a deal. You really get a lot for your money in this car, I highly recommend a test drive if anyone is in the market.

drburton, I appreciate the headsup on the Touareg. I am very pleased.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:39 PM   #44

LoveBunny, I don't need it, but if it is a low mileage GX, I might know someone who is looking.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #45

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
nope, not a GX. It's a 2001 RX300.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:09 AM   #46

Heck, you don't need a big SUV for a little boat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Xygo2054Q&feature=related
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump
Heck, you don't need a big SUV for a little boat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Xygo2054Q&feature=related

haha, incredible.

The bikers didn't seem very interested.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:40 AM   #48

Somewhere, Al Gore gently weeps!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #49

Don't overlook the best choice out there (for the money). I picked up a new 2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited full-size SUV 4x4 last month. Its $20,000.00 less expensive than most of the competition, (think Escalade), classy and very luxurious (mine has full leather, heated front and second row seats, DVD, satellite radio, remote starter, power rear liftgate, sunroof, etc.), seats 7 in complete comfort and with the trailer tow package I have (factory) it can tow 8,800lbs. Rides on nice 20" chrome rims too. You should really check it out. I have 2,000kms on mine now and love it. The Hemi is kinda thirsty but if you can wait a few months there is a Hybrid version coming. My lease was up so waiting was not an option for me. Rides like a caddy on the highway, even has electronic anti-sway for towing.
2007 Boxster S 6 spd manual,GuardsRed/BlackTop/Sand Full Leather,Sport Design Pkg.,19" Carrera Rims w/color crest,Sport Chrono,Adaptive Sport Seats, WindStop, Smooth Leather Steering Wheel/Center, Aluminum Painted Roll Bar, Porsche Crest in Headrest,Factory Sand Mats
Middle Age Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:53 AM   #50

absolutely sick!!

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #51

I would go for the V10 Diesel VW. Having spent a lot of time towing boats and big car trailers, I would only want a diesel- both for the torque and the fuel economy (especially now). In an ideal world we'd all have Diesel Duallys in our garages for the times we need to tow things, but unless you have a good chunk of extra cash laying around (or want to drive a dually for a daily) its just not practical. When you break it all down, I think for a daily that has decent towing capability and is fuel efficient, I think you can't beat the VW.

One thing to keep in mind, however, if you wind up doing a lot of towing with any of these: they are not real trucks. Yes they'll tow the weight (some more happily than others), but the added wear and tear is wear and tear to very expensive components. Its not bad when you have to finally do brakes on your F-350, its quite another on an X5. Same goes for diff service, gearbox service and possible failure, etc.

Just my $.02.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote