Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #1

mobile 1 0W40 analysis results 8700 mile OCI, 00 boxster s

Used oil analysis results fyi

72k miles on car, 8700 mile oil change interval. Normal boxster driving, no track use, moderate climate. Used mobile 1 0W40 since new. My next oil analysis will be on redline 5W40.

Saw very few Porsche results on "Bob is the Oil Guy" and most showed iron in 20-29 range (but several were in break in period). I was worried about highish iron levels but looking at the other very limited data it doesn't look unusual.

Does anyone have links to other boxster used oil analysis results? Thanks!

Site to interpret report here fyi http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gasoline_diesel_report_expl.html

Last edited by saaber; 11-28-2007 at 04:26 PM.
saaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #2

Doesn't it want to make you run that oil for 20K like Porsche recommends in the newer Boxes?

Just kidding. Thanks and I will be very interested in seeing the Red Line data. My hunch is that the values will be better.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I'd be very interested to see the results of Redline as well. Also would be great to see results of Royal Purple too

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #4

It's interesting that an engine with silicon liners instead of iron, that the iron would be high and the silicon low.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #5

Similar to my oil analysis after a 7.700 mile interval and mostly street driving. Except my iron was only 11ppm. Silicon was 19ppm. My next oil change was at 8k and had elevated levels of wear metals due to a lot of autocrossing, but not to extreme levels.

My new interval is 5,000 miles during autocross season and 8,000 miles otherwise. This is using 0W40 Mobil 1.

15,000 mile oil changes? Yeah right... if you want the motor to wear out in 100,000 miles.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #6

long, only read if you are really, really, bored, ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp987
It's interesting that an engine with silicon liners instead of iron, that the iron would be high and the silicon low.
Maybe indicator of valve train wear vs. little wear at bottom end? So far I have heard some comments on other sites that the iron levels are actually low but I would like to hear more on that.

O.k., so how is this for a wild-assed theory (I need a physicist to chime in on this one...)
(1) From what I have heard, silicon levels in the oil basically come down to dirt that is getting in there. There are lots of discussions on the Bob the Oil guy site about the effect of different air cleaners on the amounts of silicon in the sample. For example k and N filters do better as they age resulting in less silicon, etc. etc.
(2) Dirt travels in suspension (air) when there is sufficient velocity to keep it from settling out.
(3) The snorkel on this boxster, if it were in place, provides a small "tunnel" through which lots of air travels at a high velocity
(4) The inlet of the snorkel is very near the outside "grilles" of the car
(5) I have run this car de-snorkeled for a long time

So, is it possible that the lower silicon levels seen in this sample are due to de-snorkling? That is, does desnorkling make it harder for dirt to get to the engine due to lower velocities and/or the fact that the new inlet is around 12" or so farther from the outside air?

Talk about a wild-assed theory...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
It is interesting that, if I'm reading the comment correctly, the additive package is still 5 times as high as it needs to be.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:46 AM   #8

Here is what I got:

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
Here is what I got:

Ed

Thanks a lot for positng that Ed! Yours looks similar to mine in terms of iron plus the ones I found on bob is the oil guy (BITOG) are in the 20-29 range for iron. Several folks on BITOG have said this iron level is normal (btw lots of folks are critical of Blackstone's comments but generally o.k. with their tests). So it looks to me that using mobil 1 produces about this iron level in Porsches (a generalization I know). I would love to have John V's 11ppm for iron though!

I am planning to run the redline for 7500 miles and take an oil sample at 4000 miles. They say lead and copper will go up with the first 2 oil changes and it will be interesting to see what the iron levels do.

I would love to see Royal Purple results also as others have said here but I need to let the redline "settle in" to get an accurate evaluation of it. Ran redline in a saab 900 turbo for 318k miles and that car ran like brand new with no repairs other than wear items (clutch, water pump, mufflers). Ran mobil 1 (an older formulation I am sure) in a saab 9000 non turbo and it started running hotter and hotter after 200k miles. Not scientific I know but that has been my experience.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #10

My iron jumped to 21 on the last analysis that I did. But again, this oil had a very hard life, two SCCA ProSolos in extreme heat, a national tour plus several local autocrosses. So given all that, I'm extremely happy with the wear behavior.

Attached is my oil report showing my last two oil changes.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Heres some information i copied from the blackstone website to show you usually what metals are representative of which parts of the engine.

-----------------------------------

Elements are quantified in the oil at part per million levels (PPM). This list shows the most common sources of the elements in a gasoline or diesel engine oil.

Aluminum: Pistons, bearings, cases (heads & blocks).
Chromium: Rings, a trace element in steel.
Iron: Cylinders, rotating shafts, the valve train, and any steel part sharing the oil.
Copper : Brass or bronze parts, copper bushings, bearings, oil coolers, also an additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Lead: Bearings.
Tin : Bearings, bronze parts, piston coatings.
Molybdenum: Anti-wear additive, coating on some new rings
(washes off as break-in occurs).
Nickel : Trace element in steel.
Manganese: Trace element, additive in gasoline.
Silver: Trace element.
Titanium: Trace element.
Potassium: Antifreeze inhibitor, additive in some oil types.
Boron: Detergent/dispersant additive, antifreeze inhibitors.
Silicon : Airborne dirt, sealers, gaskets, antifreeze inhibitors.
Sodium: Antifreeze inhibitors, additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Calcium : Detergent/dispersant additive.
Magnesium: Detergent/dispersant additive.
Phosphorus: Anti-wear additive.
Zinc : Anti-wear additive.
Barium: Detergent/dispersant additive.

Physical properties: Viscosity, flashpoint, % fuel and antifreeze, % water and insolubles are all measured in gasoline and diesel engine oils. If fuel is present in the oil, the viscosity and flashpoint will often be lower than what was stated in the "Should be" line. Insolubles are solid material that is centrifuged out of the oil. They are typically free carbon from the oxidation of the oil itself, along with blow-by past the rings.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
My iron jumped to 21 on the last analysis that I did. But again, this oil had a very hard life, two SCCA ProSolos in extreme heat, a national tour plus several local autocrosses. So given all that, I'm extremely happy with the wear behavior.

Attached is my oil report showing my last two oil changes.
That looks great especially considering the harder driving and the fact that the "universal averages" are for a 4000 mile interval! Viscosity is low which is consitent with the other M1 tests I have seen. It is this thinning effect that makes me want to try a 5W40.

Buster at BITOG revived this interesting redline 5w40 post on a VW 1.8 tubo that was driven hard.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=221789&fpart

p.s. I am no redline fanboy but I am very interested in finding the best oil, whatever that may be.

Last edited by saaber; 11-29-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #13

Thanks for posting the oil results, y'all. I am absolutely DYING to see the results of a 20k interval, though, can't one of you cowboy up and do it?
zemmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #14

Why would anyone use a 20,000 mile oil change interval?

Maybe if the car was used only for extended freeway driving, yes, but otherwise it seems like a pretty bad idea.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Thanks for all the pics and stuff.

I ordered a sample kit from Blackstone and will send my oil in. I'm very interested in seeing the results.

How long was the turn around for results after you sent the oil in?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
Why would anyone use a 20,000 mile oil change interval? Maybe if the car was used only for extended freeway driving, yes, but otherwise it seems like a pretty bad idea.
Tell that to Porsche. They're now advertising that all new 08 Pcars only need the oil changed every 20,000 miles or once a year, whichever comes first.

I think they justify this marketing hype on the miles because it would be very difficult to put 20k on a Porsche in a 12 month time period, even as a daily driver.

No one else can justify it though!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Thanks for all the pics and stuff.

I ordered a sample kit from Blackstone and will send my oil in. I'm very interested in seeing the results.

How long was the turn around for results after you sent the oil in?
They ran the sample and sent an email report the same day they got it. But sending that little cylinder through the mail is very slow for some reason. Through the el cheapo standard mail, it took 1.5 weeks for the kit to get here and 2 weeks when I mailed it back (Thanksgiving delay included).

Next time I am going to put it in a little box (it seems the post office likes rectangles better than cylinders?) and spend a few more dollars and send it priority mail which should only take a couple days I think.

Blackstone also has an interesting little pump on their site where you can take a sample through the dipstick hole and the oil never actually goes into the pump. So you can just change hoses and reuse the pump. This would be good for interim oil tests on a longer oil run or checking without having to change the oil (Note that auto parts stores have $5-$6 pumps that do the same thing but the oil goes into the pump making it pretty much one-use only unless you can find a way to clean it well).

Last edited by saaber; 12-07-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Tell that to Porsche. They're now advertising that all new 08 Pcars only need the oil changed every 20,000 miles or once a year, whichever comes first.

I think they justify this marketing hype on the miles because it would be very difficult to put 20k on a Porsche in a 12 month time period, even as a daily driver.

No one else can justify it though!
You said it, Marketing Hype, what are they thinking? Ah heck, why don't they just say, "no maintenance required, ever."

Last edited by saaber; 12-07-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #19
EE3racing

Porsches do hold a lot of oil, some of which is used for cooling and I don't think Porsche would make a recommendation that would harm their vehicles, However, in a world where their engines have been known to just quit working, I'd err on the frequent change side my own self.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #20

You can bet that whatever Porsche is doing is in their best interests, not yours.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote