Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 04:41 AM   #1

Interior lighting

I'm not sure if its just me but doesn anyone else find the interior lighting of the Boxster to be less than adequate?

Now that it's getting much darker, if I drive the Box at night the cabin is almost pitch black and the lighting on the gauges seems like it is set so low. Maybe I'm just used to my Touareg, which looks like a commercial airliner at night with all the lighting, gauges etc...

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:32 AM   #2

I just ordered white LEDs a few days ago. I will keep you updated with their results when they come in.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 AM   #3

Most convertibles have problems with inside lighting. The Boxster is light years ahead of the Miata, for example. I am assuming that you have a light by the rear view mirror. When I first got my Boxster I was driving that first night and didn't know about the light under the mirror so I used the light in the sun visor. In the dark of night you would be surprised how bright that is :-)).

Tom
02 S
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:00 AM   #4
bmussatti

Burton, what is it that you need to see? Is Mrs. Dr. Burton doing surgury in your Boxster??

You do know that there is a dimmer control for the dash lights, right?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:14 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I agree, the lighting is very inadequate.
Especially, if you are ever fumbling around for something in the foot-well, because the little light by the rear view mirror is not strong enough. I normally don't have a problem with light while driving, though.

You could go with a map light, or
I am going to install foot-well lights, to solve this problem. But I can't decide wether or not to put the foot-well lights on a separate switch, or hook them up to the upper push light. Thoughts?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 AM   #6
bmussatti

OK, Doc, problem solved:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=porschelamp&Category_Code=POTEBXSS

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=WAP05015517&Category_Code=POTEBXSS

I think Porsche does this stuff on purpose, so we buy expen$ive accessories!

Tell Santa you want these. He is coming pretty soon. I still believe.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:33 AM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You can buy those reading lamps (map lights) way cheaper at an autostore, and if it really needs to say Porsche on the side you can buy a decal.
But that second one that fits in the ash tray is actually pretty cool, but not for $40.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:37 AM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
You can buy those reading lamps (map lights) way cheaper at an autostore, and if it really needs to say Porsche on the side you can buy a decal.
But that second one that fits in the ash tray is actually pretty cool, but not for $40.

Rick, cool cost$!

A sticker! Poser!!

Or should I say, "Big hat, no cattle"!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #9

I am aware of the dimmer control and it is all the way up. Just to clarify my post, I am not actually trying to see anything in particular in the car, so I don't need a supplemental cigarette lighter light. I think its more of an 'ambiance' issue for me.

My Touareg uses red lighting on all of the buttons etc associated with the radio, climate control etc.. and there is a red hue that comes down from the rearview mirror as well as good footwell lighting. Overall it looks very cool and creates a nice warm feel to the car at night. The Boxster on the other hand, it seems just the dials and the little tiny radio screen light up in white light. Just would think Porsche would have put some more thought into this.

Ever been in an Audi at night - now that is cool.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Tell Santa you want these. He is coming pretty soon. I still believe.
Bill,

I hate to be the one to break it to you :

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
since the gauges are orange, i also put in orange footwell lights in there.
very subtle, yet it provides enough life so that its not pitch black in there, i wired them up to gauge lights, so whenever the gauges are lit up they come on as well
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #12
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Bill,

I hate to be the one to break it to you :

If you don't believe, you can't receive,...in our house anyway!

Last edited by bmussatti; 11-06-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
But I can't decide whether or not to put the foot-well lights on a separate switch, or hook them up to the upper push light. Thoughts?
Footwell lights are a huge help - even in summer w/ top down as it throws up more light. I added 2 trunk lights (997-632-201-00 $2.75 each from Sunset). One in each footwell but I changed out the bulbs to just 5W (had to rebend the prong to accept but was easy to do.

Wired them off the dome light (partial reason to also reduced to 5W to not overload). This way, they can be manually turned on w/ dome or come on automatically w/ door lights only. A big plus and all for $10 including the wire...

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #14
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Where did you mount them on each side?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #15

passenger side - just cut small rectangular hole in black foam liner and recess mounted

driver side - made small bracket out of plexiglass and screwed into hvac tube

The pins for light are std 1/4 male slide on so just pick up some sheilded ones at any hardware store.

I followed these wiring instructions but used OE trunk lights do to size and cost. Everything Looks OEM and have gotten many compliments on them as the light is seen but the lights are not (plus all matches OEM)

Footwell Light instructions

Just pull out one of your trunk lights to see how shallow depth they are. one side will have a small notch in it. Just pull outward on that side.

Easy and takes all of 30min to do including soldering
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #16

On my 03 S there's also a little button inside the assemby where the light on the rearview mirror is that adjusts the brightness of the little ambient LED lights. I never noticed it until the LED was flickering one day for some reason - took a pen and pressed the button and it stopped the flickering.
Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton

Ever been in an Audi at night - now that is cool.

i love the way my audi lights up on the inside at night, i guess its gonna be the red... its awesome...but i also dont think the boxster has enough light in the cabin but its better then most roadsters ive owned/been in.

xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote