Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2004, 06:07 PM   #1

Newbie to 986

Firstly, I want to congratulate the moderators on a great forum site. This easily is one of the best info sharing web links I have been to about this car.

I have liked the 986 since it came out (you won't beleive what they sold for in New Zealand when I was there!), however, last week finally decided that I need a peice of the action after taking a spin in my friends '99 model. I have started looking for (and bidding) on 99-00 models (if you know of any in the south for sale, let me know). Now all I need to do is convince my wife to sell her '00 Bug.... a fair trae for her I say!!

As a conservative car owner my entire life (Ford, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Jeep), I haven't had to fork out major amounts on maintenance (most was around $1500 on a turbocharger, and $1600 on a Jeep transmission). The 986 is obviously a reliable car, however, realistically what would I expect to spend annually on servicing and oil changes?

Appreciate any advice out there, and once again, thanks for the great forum!! I look forward to being in one soon....

The Kiwi in New Orleans.

kiwiinneworleans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:47 PM   #2

Hey Man,
How much maintenance costs are will be depend on how much you drive and how you do your regular maintenance. The short answer is you'll spend more, a lot more than a ford, toyota etc at least.

You'll want to use synthetic for oil changes and it takes 9 qts to fill the bad boy. Porsche says 15k miles per oil change, but it depends on you how often you want to change it (most people i know change it more often than that). Tires are expensive especially if you have 18's and need to be replaced more often than economy files. If you do all the factory recommended stuff on their interval, is gonna be more than those other brands you mentioned. Insurance is more too. If you plan to do the work yourself, see if you buddy will let you access the engine compartment on his car. You might be in for a bit of surprise. IMHO it's a PITA.

The Boxster is definitly not on the list of the top 10 least expensive cars to own and operate, but that's not what you are looking for or even why you would get one. It is on the top 10 most fun cars to drive and IMO is number 1 on that list!

Good luck,
Larez
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:20 PM   #3
b0xt0La

I did the oil change myself and will do the transmission oil soon. Also changed the spark plugs. There is a website that shows you step by step how to change the rotors and brake pads. I had to replace my clutch few months ago and it costs me around $1k. You do the basic stuff yourself, the info is available online and you can't find it just ask.

Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote