Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 01:32 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Chip Tune

Hey All,

I just joined a couple of days ago and have been reading through the posts. Does anyone have more info on the Chip Tune I keep hearing about? How much? What does it buy you? Easy to install or should I get a pro? I traded in my 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder for a Seal Grey 2002 2.7L and never looked back. Except for the gas mileage. I too noticed the thirsty engine averaging about 19.6 in the city. But then I can't resist my lead foot.

I've been making mostly cosmetic upgrades to my Boxster, decals, cover-ups for the airbag warnings on the visors, naked backside, most recently I did the garage door hack, looks great! I'm getting hooked and it's starting to become an obsession...eh-hem, I mean healthy hobby. I can feel the urge to start looking into some performance upgrades. Aside from the Chip Tune I'd love to hear about some other performance upgrades...affordable and extravagant as well

Thanks

TimW

TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:54 AM   #2

This won't help you now but maybe you should have started with an S. It sounds like you may have bought the wrong car if you're thinking mods so soon.

There are threads here from everything, from engine swaps to SC's and TT mods. It all depends on want you're looking for in "performance"
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter
This won't help you now but maybe you should have started with an S. It sounds like you may have bought the wrong car if you're thinking mods so soon.

There are threads here from everything, from engine swaps to SC's and TT mods. It all depends on want you're looking for in "performance"

Yep, you're right, it won't help him in the least.

There are many threads on upgrades in this forum. I dont have any but many of the others do. I'm sure they will help you but in the meantime use the search feature of the site and find specific mods in which you might be interested. Most things you can do to a Porsche cost a good deal more than other cars.
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:04 AM   #4

Hi, congrats on becomming a Boxster owner, its lots of fun. A chip will give you a little bump in HP (about 12-15 in my case) and make the throttle more sensitive and hence the car seem much more responsive.

I will offer the advice that was given to me when I first joined the forum and got my Boxster (which I ignored) about modding any Boxster, but especially the 2.5 and 2.7L engines. If you have plenty of money to play with, and are not very concerned with getting a return on your investment, and you have realistic expectations of the outcome of performance mods (normally much less than advertised), go for it.

But realize that you can easily drop 5-10K+ on individual performance mods, and for what some (that should probably read most) floks are trying to achieve, the money would be better spent selling their base Boxster and getting a Boxster S or doing an engine transplant. Of course there are exceptions to this advice, and I may be one of them, I havnt quite figured that out yet, enjoy

Ed

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombea
Yep, you're right, it won't help him in the least.

There are many threads on upgrades in this forum. I dont have any but many of the others do. I'm sure they will help you but in the meantime use the search feature of the site and find specific mods in which you might be interested. Most things you can do to a Porsche cost a good deal more than other cars.

This is one of the reasons I joined the forum. To find out this info. I'm glad I found you guys first before dumping serious money into my Boxster. Truth of the matter is that even the base 2.7L Boxster has more than enough power for me (and my wife agrees, stating that "That car is dangerous". Once you start down that road you can't stop until you're broke and it's not the wisest thing to dump thousands of dollars into a depreciating asset. I should just start saving for my preowned 2010 Boxster S that I'll be able to afford in 2015

Thanks guys.
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:36 AM   #6

Ed is 100% correct. I should have bought the "S" as well but after taking a ride with my instuctor last week in his 160HP NA 944 I would have to agree with all the guys who tell you that the best improvement you can make to your car is track time. I could not believe how fast this 944 was going! There was also a Boxter flying past me so fast that I thought it was a GT3 for the most part of the day. I was later told it was a 2.5 liter spec racing boxster and while I don't know that that's a fact that guy driving it was one of the best (and fastest) people I have ever seen on the track. It was simply amazing how fast he would come out of a corner.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
well even if you get an S, you get used to the power and want more, its always like that.

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote