Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 AM   #1

Remote key issue (solved, but question remains)

On the way back from an overnight camping trip, we stopped to get some food. I tried to lock the car using the remote button, but got no response (no dual-flash, no sound of the locks actuating etc.). Upon examining the key fob, the red led light on it was in "always on" mode. No change when any button on the fob was pressed - red light was always on and not blinking.

Tried locking (and unlocking) using the key manually, and that worked (the red "alarm" light on the top of the dash came on when locking). We had filled the car to capacity (soft luggage... think sleeping bags etc.), and I was wondering if something was obstructing or otherwise causing a problem.

Drove to another spot nearby (didn't like the food selection where we'd stopped originally). I was still thinking about the issue with the key, so I just pried it open. The led light was still on. Took out the battery. Led went out (no surprise ). Cleaned the "contacts" on the battery (no reason ). Put battery back in, no led light. Pressed the lock button, led blinked.

It has been working fine thus far. I have searched the posts here and at renntech, and haven't found a case where the led was stuck in an "always on" state. I obviously reset whatever was wrong by disconnecting the battery, but the question is : How did it get this way in the first place? Did I do something I shouldn't have done?

Sorry for the long post.

bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #2

This was an issue when the 3 button remote first came out for model year 2001. I would open them up, take the battery out, put it back together. Then it worked normal. Never figured out why this fixed the problem.

Then in 2004 Porsche issued a bulletin for all remotes. If the remote led did not work or the led would not go off, then you are supposed to reverse the battery for at least 10 seconds.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 10-22-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #3

Wonder if this would work on my 99 Box remote. The light flashes when I push buttons (even put in new batt), but will not operate remotely. My other key works fine.
PhxRealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxRealtor
Wonder if this would work on my 99 Box remote. The light flashes when I push buttons (even put in new batt), but will not operate remotely. My other key works fine.
I've got the same problem with one of my keys.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer311
I've got the same problem with one of my keys.
Me too. Naturally, that's the key I gave to my wife. I'll try reversing the battery for 10 seconds and see if that helps.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlevins
Me too. Naturally, that's the key I gave to my wife. I'll try reversing the battery for 10 seconds and see if that helps.
Gave the working key to my wife too! Geez...
PhxRealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #7

This is one of those problems Porsche never addressed to fix. The key fobs do get stuck in the on position, especially if you leave them in your pockets all day long. The buttons get stuck in the down/pressed position causing the battery to wear down and eventually the remote itself needs to be re-programed. This happened to me and they replaced mine(not for free) with a newer hard case that has firmer buttons on it. Apparently they are aware of it and did not replace the standard case and buttons on the remotes until 2005. My new case is the same shape/color as the 2001 key fob, but is much more durable and does not get stuck in the on position. I've had it for 1 year now with no issues. Cost me $220.00 to get a my old remote re-programed and case enclosure updated last year.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
This is one of those problems Porsche never addressed to fix. The key fobs do get stuck in the on position, especially if you leave them in your pockets all day long. The buttons get stuck in the down/pressed position causing the battery to wear down and eventually the remote itself needs to be re-programed. .......
I took the key out of my pocket and put it on my desk as soon as I read this - thanks for adding to the p-car paranoia
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #9

Reverse or Remove?

Had my key fob LED stick "on" today, and remote functions stopped working. Tried replacing the battery, but LED still stuck on with new battery. Took battery out and let it sit for 8 hours or so until I had time to revisit the issue. All three switches click fine.

Found this thread, which recommends REVERSING the battery. But do you folks mean REMOVING the battery?

Because after putting the original battery back in, LED and remote functions are operating normally.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #10

Garage
I would NOT reverse the battery. I suspect the micro switch is broken and locked on. You can buy new micro switches on eBay and if you have rudimentary soldering skills you can replace the switches with new ones.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Solid necro.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:58 AM   #12

Well, I'm set for now, after putting the battery back in normally after 8 hours, the fob is working fine. I was just curious about the suggestion to REVERSE the battery. That seemed wrong to me, and that putting the battery in upside-down might even damage the circuitry.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:18 AM   #13

Garage
It actually won't do anything. The way the holder is done, there won't be any power going to the fob if you insert the battery upside down. But in general, you should never reverse polarity to electrical devices. They are likely to fry.

Next time you open the fob take the circuit board out and take a look at the condition of the micro switches. If they are worn, replace them. It costs less than $10.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:18 AM   #14

I have a similar issue to those below.

2003 Boxster S has been fine for over 18 months. Recently I find I am having to remove and then replace the existing battery in the fob as the red led no longer flashes and the car will not lock/unlock.

When the problem occurs, if I remove the existing battery and check its voltage it is still at 3.2 volts. I replace the existing battery and the remote fob works for a few days and then stops. Eventually the battery has to be removed/replaced daily in order for the fob to continue working.

If I let the process continue I end up with the fob not working at all ie no red led. Remove existing battery and insert upside down for 10 seconds. Replace existing battery right way around and fob is good to go for another week. The battery never depletes it still has 3.2v. It seems to be more of a problem with the fob electronics. any ideas/thouights?
Debs n Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:45 AM   #15

Garage
Check that the connector on the side of the battery holder makes good contact with the battery. Sounds like yours isn't.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:30 AM   #16

2003 Boxster key FOB

I also have an issue with the Boxster key fob. if you open the casing on the opposite side of where the battery is you will see what looks like a small fuse. I was told mine is gone and I need a completely new FOB from Porsche. I have looked to see if there was any other place to replace it but haven't found one. I'm in Ontario and was told it was over $250 for a new key FOB and the car needs to be reprogrammed at PORSCHE only and that's another $159 / hour labour charge.
counts90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #17
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debs n Me View Post
I have a similar issue to those below.

2003 Boxster S has been fine for over 18 months. Recently I find I am having to remove and then replace the existing battery in the fob as the red led no longer flashes and the car will not lock/unlock.

When the problem occurs, if I remove the existing battery and check its voltage it is still at 3.2 volts. I replace the existing battery and the remote fob works for a few days and then stops. Eventually the battery has to be removed/replaced daily in order for the fob to continue working.

If I let the process continue I end up with the fob not working at all ie no red led. Remove existing battery and insert upside down for 10 seconds. Replace existing battery right way around and fob is good to go for another week. The battery never depletes it still has 3.2v. It seems to be more of a problem with the fob electronics. any ideas/thouights?
Key Transmitter Repair (new switch didn't fix it?)
Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by counts90 View Post
I also have an issue with the Boxster key fob. if you open the casing on the opposite side of where the battery is you will see what looks like a small fuse. I was told mine is gone and I need a completely new FOB from Porsche. I have looked to see if there was any other place to replace it but haven't found one. I'm in Ontario and was told it was over $250 for a new key FOB and the car needs to be reprogrammed at PORSCHE only and that's another $159 / hour labour charge.
You can ship it to me for repair. It will be $30 repair + $10 for shipping to Canada.