Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #1

Warranty Direct + awesome Porsche dealer = very happy customer

So this last weekend my future father-in-law and I decided to tackle the 60k service on my S. He has a nice shop with full lift that makes getting under and working on my car a cinch. We replaced the spark plugs, serpentine belt, oil and filter, cabin air filter, wipers, topped off the coolant, and checked all the belts and hoses for cracks leaks, checked the brake pads (plenty left), etc. It was hard work but worth it since Porsche had quoted me about $1200 for the service. Anyway, while we had the tires off we noticed that all 4 of the CV join boots were split. The joints themselves looked fine. No unusual noise or movement and still had plenty of grease so it hadn't been long. But I was not relishing the thought of how much this would cost to get fixed. It had to be done, so I made an appointment with the dealer for Tuesday.

I had bought a 4-year, 75k mile extended warranty from WD when I bought the car, and looking over the contract it appeared that this should be covered. After dropping off my car, Russ from the Scottsdale AZ Porsche dealer called me and said that it was mostly covered. They covered all the expensive stuff, but not stuff like axle nuts and clamps, and they would only cover 4 of the 6 labor hours and only up to $120/hr of the $125 the dealer charged. So not great, but better than nothing. Russ told me he had argued with them to try and get them to cover the full $125 or at least cover 5 hours of labor, but no dice. What he did do was split the difference with the labor charge, 5 hours instead of 6, and only $120/hr instead of $125. I was impressed.

Well when I picked up the car and paid my bill, I was floored by A. how much the total cost was (about $1100), and 2. how little I paid ($240, including the $100 deductible for the warranty). This made me very happy. So I just thought I'd share with you a happy story of extended warranties and dealer service departments.

Last edited by Wintermute; 10-17-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
bmussatti

Can anything be done to protect/prevent the boots from splitting?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #3

^ I always wonder about this...Since the boots simply get brittle and tear made me think if there would be any benefit in cleaning and using a Gummi-Pflege type product while the boots were still new. But I imagine you would have to do it every couple of months.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
bmussatti

Strange that all 4 went bad too. It this Arizona-heat related? That place is an oven July and August!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #5

Russ said he came over here from Southern California and he's seen more CV boots split in 3 years than in 10 in CA.

I think what kills them here is the heat, combined with the extreme dryness. It just destroys the rubber and after awhile, they just give out. Of course it could also be a combination of temperature changes. I took the car from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon and the temp. difference was probably 50+ degrees. So that may have been the nail in the coffin of my poor CV boots.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute
So this last weekend my future father-in-law and I decided to tackle the 60k service on my S. He has a nice shop with full lift that makes getting under and working on my car a cinch. We replaced the spark plugs, serpentine belt, oil and filter, cabin air filter, wipers, topped off the coolant, and checked all the belts and hoses for cracks leaks, checked the brake pads (plenty left), etc. It was hard work but worth it since Porsche had quoted me about $1200 for the service. Anyway, while we had the tires off we noticed that all 4 of the CV join boots were split. The joints themselves looked fine. No unusual noise or movement and still had plenty of grease so it hadn't been long. But I was not relishing the thought of how much this would cost to get fixed. It had to be done, so I made an appointment with the dealer for Tuesday.

I had bought a 4-year, 75k mile extended warranty from WD when I bought the car, and looking over the contract it appeared that this should be covered. After dropping off my car, Russ from the Scottsdale AZ Porsche dealer called me and said that it was mostly covered. They covered all the expensive stuff, but not stuff like axle nuts and clamps, and they would only cover 4 of the 6 labor hours and only up to $120/hr of the $125 the dealer charged. So not great, but better than nothing. Russ told me he had argued with them to try and get them to cover the full $125 or at least cover 5 hours of labor, but no dice. What he did do was split the difference with the labor charge, 5 hours instead of 6, and only $120/hr instead of $125. I was impressed.

Well when I picked up the car and paid my bill, I was floored by A. how much the total cost was (about $1100), and 2. how little I paid ($240, including the $100 deductible for the warranty). This made me very happy. So I just thought I'd share with you a happy story of extended warranties and dealer service departments.
And you know what? I bet you still would be well ahead of the game if you had passed altogether on the warranty at purchase and just paid for the repairs out of pocket.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Russ said he came over here from Southern California and he's seen more CV boots split in 3 years than in 10 in CA.

I think what kills them here is the heat, combined with the extreme dryness. It just destroys the rubber and after awhile, they just give out. Of course it could also be a combination of temperature changes. I took the car from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon and the temp. difference was probably 50+ degrees. So that may have been the nail in the coffin of my poor CV boots.

Probably a LOT of residual heat off the pavement too, combined with stop-and-go daily driving. They get cooked.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #8

^ @JRAD...."Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results"
Old 10-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #9

At this point, that's true. This is the first repair I've had done to the car since I bought it about a year and a half ago, so if I had passed I would have still saved money. However, the peace of mind for the "what if" scenarios is well worth the cost of the warranty.

I've also never had an accident, or had my car damaged, broken into, or vandalized, so technically I could have forgone all but the minimum on my insurance and I would indeed be ahead of the game. Think of all the money I would have saved! But that's just silly.

Extended warranties are just insurance policies and like any other insurance, you may never use it and it will feel like money wasted. But...what if?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
^ @JRAD...."Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results"
Exactly. :-)
Old 10-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #11

I've only had one non-maintenance repair in 30K+ miles, so I've done well also.
If they were willing to come down more than $1K per I would have sprung for the WD policy as well.

Sometimes I want to kick myself for not at least insuring the drivetrain. I'm not sure I would dish out $6K+ for a new engine if that were necessary. I would hate to part with my Boxster over something like that but I don't have emotional attachment to it and I highly doubt I would consider doing a 3.6 transplant.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #12
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It's refreshing to hear a story about a dealer that doesn't try and take you to the cleaners. Extended warranties are a must have, my had saved me almost $4k in the last six months, on repairs that the car needed when I purphased it and the PPI didn't catch.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #13

Quote:
At this point, that's true. This is the first repair I've had done to the car since I bought it about a year and a half ago, so if I had passed I would have still saved money. However, the peace of mind for the "what if" scenarios is well worth the cost of the warranty.
That's the only thing that matters - that you're happy with the decision.

I also purchased an extended warranty. It covered me on a RMS issue - the only issue I've ever had (knock on wood). Even with that I would've saved $1800+ (that's an extra set of track wheels and tires) had I not purchased the warranty and covered costs out of pocket.

I don't think it's completely correct to look at a warranty in quite the same way one looks at insurance. For one, you're required to carry a certain amount of insurance. More accurately, it should be viewed in the context of what you expect your repair costs to be over a stated period of time (ie. the warranty coverage period). Essentially, look at it as pre-paying your repair costs for that duration.

With this in mind, the idea is to estimate your expected costs over a stated period and mitigate that risk through the use of a warranty as needed. If you use more services (more repairs), your cost per repair goes down. If you use less, your cost per repair is higher.

I've found that very rarely can an extended warranty really be justified.

But, as you indicated, for some it's more about the perception of piece of mind.

Also, FWIW, having lived in AZ for a while, I too can attest to the fact that dry rot from the heat poses real problem with the rubber components (ie. belts, hoses, etc.) in many vehicles there.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss

Last edited by J-RAD; 10-17-2007 at 01:47 PM.
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #14

So at this point you have recovered

$850 of the cost of the warranty. How much did it cost you? Maybe because of the AZ heat, you are the one who should buy the protection.

Every time I think it a good idea to buy one, I remind myself that for every $100 they collect, less than $20 finds its way back into the hands of the insured via the repair shop. The rest is overhead, commissions and big profit.

3 years ago I had the chance to buy one or take a $3k discount. I took the discount. At the end of the warranty period I could have bought, I'm about $2.5k ahead.

By self insuring everything I can't afford to pay for (things like health, auto and personal liability are the exceptions, you have to buy those), I figure to save the 80% all those warranties would have cost me and, over a lifetime, I'll save enough to afford that 3.6 swap if it is ever necessary. Heck, at my age, it could be a 3.6TT.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #15

^ you should include a hyperlink for your DIY website in your signature. I was just using with my mechanic friend.

about the warranty, I see it as a numbers game. Overall the Boxster is reliable, particularly newer versions but the cost of repairing them is very high compared to other cars. But try and calculate what percentage of Boxsters/996 suffer anything from torn RMS to Int. Shaft failure to total engine catastrophe. Some say at least 3 out of 10 Boxsters/996 may be affected by one or more. I guess it sucks when you are one of 30%
Old 10-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #16
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
You can buy 4 boot kits for less than $50....
HERE
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #17

I just did all 4 of mine in August. My car has only 37k miles.

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote