Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #1

$900 for the Yearly Service?

I just took my 95 987 in for it's 6k mile oil change. The dealer told me it was time for the annual service (change the oil, flush the brakes, general check-up). Fine with me, since it's been a year since i've taken it in (it only has 13,000 miles).
But $900. seems really steep! Is this normal/average? even for a dealer.

Any perspectives on this would be appreciated guys and gals. thanks

TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #2

I assume you mean '05 987? Regardless, yes, $900 is very steep for an oil change, brake flush, and "check up". That pricing sounds more in line with what a typical major service would run from a dealer, and that would include quite a bit more items and labour. To my knowledge (and I'd have to check my manual to confirm), that type of service is not a yearly one, but is primarily based upon mileage.

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #3

Assume you mean '05 987, correct?

Regardless, $900 is very steep. Figure dealer o&f should be $250-300 at most and brake flush $200-250 at most. Now, if they did a major maintenance like those above plus check polyrib, change plugs, change cabin and air filter, then $900 seems to be the going rate. But for just brakes and o&f, that's almost double what it should be
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #4

yes, sorry, it's a 2005, 987.
According to the service log, they will perform the following:
brake flush
battery service
oil change
bg fuel induction
coolant flush
bg climate vent service
fuel injector service
Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #5

Annual service? The normal service interval isn't until 20K miles. I get my oil changed once a year but that is it. Seems excessive to me.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
bmussatti

Last week I took my car in for an oil & filter change, brake fluid & clutch fluid change, and engine air filter change.

Total was $371. A litle expensive but not crazy expensive. Lower than other P-car dealerships in the area.

Also got a print-out from my DME (I will ask for this every time now), they fixed my windstop (lost a piece of rubber/felt) and they ordered new stone guards for the rear lower panels by the vents due to dis-coloration.

Got my Warranty Book stamped too.

In by 8:00 AM and out the door by 11:00.

Ready for winter storage starting next weekend.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15
brake flush
battery service
oil change
bg fuel induction
coolant flush
bg climate vent service
fuel injector service
In that case, I'd just have them do the O&F and brake flush (should be done every 2 if you don't do any AX or DE events). Everything else on that list is pretty much bogus.

-Just check the (distilled) water level in your battery.
- personally, I'd run a bottle of techron (for fuel injector/etc.) thru the tank before you have them change the O&F.
- Coolant is "lifetime", but I'd be inclined to change at 5 years or 60K. add distilled water if you need some

They'll still stamp your book for the O&F and brake flush which should then run around $500. At least that's what I'd do.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15
brake flush
battery service
oil change
bg fuel induction
coolant flush
bg climate vent service
fuel injector service
6k mile oil change? What is that??? Are you not using Mobil1?

Agreed, it seems high, nearly double the standard rate. At only 13K miles they want to do all of this work? Sounds like they are being over zealous with their need to seperate you from some hard-earned greenbacks....

I would recommend shopping around.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #9

Rip Off

So you have a low mileage car with 2 years on it and haven't changed the oil. Shame on you.

But I see no reason to do anything but change the oil/filter, something you can do yourself or get any gas station with a lift and a careful mechanic to do for $75 in parts you bring him and maybe $50 labor. Or learn to do it yourself, buy the 2 tools (oil filter wrench and allen wrench) you need and a big dirty oil receiver pan and then you can do it every year for the cost of oil, filter and crush ring.

When you get to 15k, then take it in and have the dealer do what Porsche recommends, no more and no less.

This dealer is adding services to those recommended by Porsche to pad his profits. Don't contribute to that. All those additives are things you could add yourself for 1/6 the cost. Again, they pad his profit.

(My dealer charged me $185 for the yearly oil change, I was moving and it wasn't convenient for me to do it.)

Drive it more, enjoy it more, don't save it for the next owner.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #10

Who flushes the coolant every year?

Who needs the FI cleaning?

These guys are trying to hose you.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:59 PM   #11

thanks guys, for the input. It helps a lot.

This Boxster is my first new car in a looooong time and it's hard to know what the essential components are for the regular servicing. (Unlike my beloved last car, a 1970 MBZ 280 SL "pagoda" which was simple to service by comparison: take it in every 3,000 for an oil change and fix what's broke.)

I had planned on just going by the recommendations in the maintenance booklet (20k, 40k, 60k, etc.) so this "annual service" took me by surprise.

Regarding the oil change. I understood that the oil should be changed every 6,000 miles, which is what i've been doing. Just so happens that 6k only happens once a year.

Once again thanks for your input, it's appreciated!

P.S. Next time I'll try Dutch Treat, recommended in another thread.