Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 05:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
Just a little rant...

I don't know what brings me to posting this, and this will likely get me banned or gain me much disdain, contempt and flaming. Frankly I don't know what I have to profit from sharing this with you. I'm basically shooting myself in the foot. It's a feeling that has grown since I've stayed here, and it's becoming more apparent the more I see and discuss things here. I must get this off my chest. The truth must be told. I do not mean to insult everyone here, but I fear I ultimately will.

So here I go down the slippery slopes...

On the whole, as a group of posters, I find this group of forum members more articulate than most but far more ignorant and opinionated than hoped. A pigeon hole type mentality is pervasive. Creative thinking is the rarity. Problem solving or modding a forgone conclusion. Dare I say the boxster criticism of Poser Porsche seems to fit. And fit well on average . I think that really sucks because the boxster is a capable performance car that has yet more to offer. I belong to several other internet forums and this one is the worst in terms of factual info and objectivity. On average, this forum's info is largely biased and not well thought out. It is not only closed minded, but oppressively so.

There are shining exceptions to this, tool pants, grizzly, randallneighboor, bismoto engineering, etc... (forgive me if I forgot you on the list...)

Do I need to get a 911 and hang with them? No, I'm not drunk... no I'm not on meds... just a little fed up with the poser mentality here. There, I feel better. What I can't play in this sandbox anymore??

That is the great part about this wonderful nation of ours...if you dont find what you are looking for you are free to go somewhere else.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:35 AM   #22

Smile

Several quick points.

1-We are not for everybody, no forum is. We try to allow for a wide array of viewpoints, so that people with stock Boxsters can live preacefully with the weekend track guys.

2-I still don't know what a poser is nor why I would care.

3-It says alot about us that this post did not devolve into name calling for the most part.

4-We don't do street racing here. Any guys who love to run on the weekends on the streets are not welcome to talk about that.

All in all, I find the group pretty delightful most of the time, certainly compared to some of the other forums I frequent.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #23

Boxsterz,

I am a little confused here. Would you mind explaining to me exactly what your definition of a "Poser" is ?

I have been a member of this forum for a year and a half, and I visit everyday for information and entertainment.

I have met some great people on here, made some good friends, and learned a lot about a car that I love very much.

I try and help out whenever I can to pay back those that have helped me if I can.

I guess I am unclear ? Could you give me an example of what exactly a "perfect" forum would entail ?

Thanks,

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 AM   #24
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I think what boxsterz is getting at is that he is tired of people posting there opinion if it conflicts with his own opinion, like he stated about the PSM post. Perhaps, we should never post in response to peoples questions because we are not as knowledgeable as him.

If you have a problem with this board just leave no one is stopping you, but I don't see why you have to insult the entire board to do so.

(Also, what I think he means by poser is that - We sometimes post on threads that we are not knowledgeable about to help and give advice, we're posing as knowledgeable racers, or mechanics, etc.)

Last edited by rick3000; 10-17-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Boxsterz,

I am a little confused here. Would you mind explaining to me exactly what your definition of a "Poser" is ?

I have been a member of this forum for a year and a half, and I visit everyday for information and entertainment.

I have met some great people on here, made some good friends, and learned a lot about a car that I love very much.

I try and help out whenever I can to pay back those that have helped me if I can.

I guess I am unclear ? Could you give me an example of what exactly a "perfect" forum would entail ?

Thanks,

Nick
Maybe a perfect forum would be "BoxsterzOpinionRules-NonPosersHere.com"
Whatever.......pure nonsense. This is a great forum --- plain and simple.
If you don't like it, then upgrade your life, your car or your attitude and move on.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yeah i would have to agree, it is a weird thread to start.
there are forums out there for technical information, we all know about it. i just love this forum here, check it out every day, in my free time, and sometimes not even free but still come and check it out.
like Nick said, i met some cool people on this board, and not just that, but also happened to go to class with a fellow member that i would never talk to probably, or notice, but since we both share a"stock/slow/non 911" boxsters, were all good and its nice to see a familiar place.
i just think its cool that people on here dont act like little kids and name-call everyone, including the thread starter.

it is definitely different than other forums, so either you like it or not, so you are free to stay or leave.
also, just look at the number of posts of people who replied to this, and then go to a lets say renntech forum and check those same peoples numbers, and that will show you something...
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
Old 10-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Several quick points.

1-We are not for everybody, no forum is. We try to allow for a wide array of viewpoints, so that people with stock Boxsters can live preacefully with the weekend track guys.

2-I still don't know what a poser is nor why I would care.

3-It says alot about us that this post did not devolve into name calling for the most part.

4-We don't do street racing here. Any guys who love to run on the weekends on the streets are not welcome to talk about that.

All in all, I find the group pretty delightful most of the time, certainly compared to some of the other forums I frequent.
And that's what I like about this place too. Thanks for keeping it "the way it is".

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
And that's what I like about this place too. Thanks for keeping it "the way it is".
You're welcome!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
What is anyone posing as? I don't fully understand.

Converting a boxter into a carrera gt is posing.

Talking about boxster performance, looks, apple stocks, and reliability seems pretty real to me.
Ditto, I don't get it either. What are we "posing" about?

Let's face it, there is only so much you can do to the boxster as far as performance goes other than swapping out the engine as a last resort. So if your saying that boxster owners and members on this forum talk more about astetics than performance upgrades, then maybe you should have bought a Honda Civic. As boxster owners most of us like the car the way it is and comes from the factory. Not sure how we are all posers. This forum is for helping out people who have questions about their boxster. No one is forcing you to stay on as a member. :troll:
Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Where you been, Unkle? I was just thinking that I hadn't heard from you lately.

No, I'm not the reason Jim's gone, but I can't say I'm upset about his demise. In the end, Jim did himself in. It's a great story. I only wish I could tell it.
Please tell us please! Jim was the biggest "KNOW IT ALL" that I have ever known. I hated that guy. :ah:
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #31
Track rat

Garage
I choose this site more often than others. I just love to drive this little car and I love hearing the stories from others who love driving theirs. I am older than most on this site and am far more interested in function than automotive fashion. To each his own. Regardless of experience, everyone has a right to express their own opinion here. That we don't always agree is a good thing. The diversity keeps things interesting. This is the fun Boxter site. If it doesn't float your boat... move on.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Please tell us please! Jim was the biggest "KNOW IT ALL" that I have ever known. I hated that guy. :ah:
I'm sorry Spyder, but it isn't my story to tell. I will say however, that, in my opinion, it is the greatest story in the history of the 986forum. When it finally comes to light it will open a lot of eyes.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 10-17-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:48 AM   #33

Quote:
I'm sorry Spyder, but it isn't my story to tell. I will say however, that, in my opinion, it is the greatest story in the history of the 986forum. When it finally comes to light it will open a lot of eyes.

Hey!! You can't do that!

Link or it never happened!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #34

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko The Sane
Hey!! You can't do that!

Link or it never happened!

I dont like to bring it up cause im not too proud myself of it but... Cheaper cars and there owners pride

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
Old 10-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I dont like to bring it up cause im not too proud myself of it but... Cheaper cars and there owners pride
still didnt click that link, but can i guess it has to do something with a certain Acura car?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
Old 10-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #36

Sorry dudes, it's much better than that...
Old 10-17-2007, 12:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
still didnt click that link, but can i guess it has to do something with a certain Acura car?
Yeah thats it!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 10-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Sorry dudes, it's much better than that...
Do tell! I dont know what your talking about then

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 10-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I dont know what your talking about then
Geez, now you sound like my wife.

Look! I can't tell! It's not my story to tell! I wanna tell you! I really do, but I can't! My PM box is blowing up! I CAN'T TELL!!! I PROMISED!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #40

yeah, he was still around after that.....altho the defeat of MNBoxster would be more culturally impressive than beating the French huh CJ

you see man, I bit my tongue when I read that the first time but you see where people like him like to go when they are messed with if you can remember the whole race thread thing....oh brother....

anyways back to this post, I will say I went back to the PSM thread and found it pretty boring....it looked pretty simple..llike a billion other threads.....I will agree we have some big arguments that some owners show preference based on what they have even if they didn't experience the alternative first hand

1) 986 vs 987
2) wheels style/size....dj hates my boring "everyone" has them 19's then he goes and gets some of the baddest wheels I've seen (RUN DMC bad), I still have to see them in person..
3) apparently PSM, hey I got it came with the car
4) winter tires, my favorite.....the times I've seen I drove a blah with this and that and can say, or the best is some members from places like california saying the boxster will do this and that in the snow....really? lol....

but now I admitt I am a poser who simply loves how his car looks and zips around effortlessy, now does anyone know where to get some nice quality painting done to my calipers? calibers? whatever they are....and you thought I was kidding when I said poser

Closed Thread