Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #1

What do you think is a fair price for my Boxster?

Ello all,

I'm looking for an honest evaluation from you guys what my boxster is worth, based on my thread posted @ 97 Silver/black manual in central PA - $11,500 (lotta pics)

I've brought my price down to $11,250 which I consider fair, but I'm trying to get a feel for what would make this car sell better. I know that a large part of the sale delay was starting out too high, as I was trying to feel out the market, but I haven't gotten any real solid hits, mostly from people who want to look, but can't swing the financing.

So I figure you guys may be able to help me out a bit.

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
boggtown

That seems redonkulously low. I know if you parted it out on ebay you could get more than that. The below list will make you an extra hundred bucks, not including the millions of other pieces. If youve got the time, Id go that way, cause to see a box go for 11 grand is sad.

Bumper-300
Rear bumper-200
wheels-900
spare wheels-700
door-500x2
trunk lid-200
rear trunk lid-200
seats-1000
floor mats-30
engine-2,500
brake system-1000
fenders-200x2
carpets-maybe100
ebrake-60
shifter-60
center console-100
rear storage bin-200
speakers-200
amp-100
exhaust-50
transmission-2000
Old 10-17-2007, 04:00 AM   #3

I guess I dont know the market that well for a 97', but that seems very low, even with the mileage on the car. Best of luck with the sale,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:18 AM   #4

Your problem is in marketing and timing, not price.

It is getting cold in the area you are selling. Convertibles don't sell well then. Just a fact of life.

And in describing the car, put more stress on the features and fun and less on the maintenance history and problem areas. You don't want to be reminding the potential buyer the darn things need maintenance, especially with 102k miles on it. Nor focusing on the front bumper chips which may seem huge to you but not to the buyer. No one expects a 10 year old 100k+ miles car to be perfect, even a Porsche. Which isn't to say you don't mention well maintained, recent oil change and new top when the potential buyer calls you.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:02 AM   #5
boggtown

Blink should buy your car and 3.4 it. Give him a PM. Hed still be under 25 grand.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #6

Thanks for the great responses, guys.

Boggtown - I couldn't bear to part her out, it seems silly to part out a car that runs and drives perfectly fine, even if its' worth more dead than alive.

Mikefocke - Thanks for the ad ideas, I'll try to change it around a bit to shift focus. I realize that it's getting colder in PA, but I've been trying to sell it since July with no dice...

At least you guys seem to agree with my train of thought that it is already a great price on the car (probably too low for me!), that's what my concern was, that I was unrealistically high, somehow.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #7

Wonko,

I hate to say it, but I think your asking price is still just a little high. A 97 Boxster with 102k miles private party should go for around $10,825.

IMHO,

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #8

Riiight, and how many cars have you bought that were face value?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:43 AM   #9

three things, if I may, that I hope will help.......

1 - get some pictures of your car in bright sunlight so it's shiny. Yes it looks clean and reflects well, but not shiny. Bright sunlight and shiny will make it look FUN! Get that sun sparkling of the AS paint.

2 - scrub the tires and put some tire shine on there. Again shiny and eye catching......like a fishing lure . In your photos, your tires now look like you accidentally hit them w/ polish or wax from the buffer. Those not as fanatical about cars, might think it looks like you just repainted the whole thing carelessly for a quick sale...

3 - Try autotrader.com and spend the extra couple $ to include picture(s). The car's age and mileage w/out a picture is going to turn away more people than it will attract. Thus, IMNSHO, regular newspapers are a waste for high mile cars over $4K. FWIW, in Jan I sold my wife's '02 Volvo S80 w/ 95K on the clock thru autotrader. Guy who bought it loves higher mileage cars (b/c others like me already ate the depreciation). Anyhow, he told me he doesn't even call if there's no pic. Reasons being:
- seller is either asking way too much and just trying to get more for car than it's worth or what dealer would give them wholesale or
- seller didn't take good care of it and knows picture might hinder an interested party from looking at more closely

I just did a search on autotrader for 200 miles around St. College and only 8 showed up. Needless to say, your asking price (even w/ mileage) is below the lowest one out there: 97 w/ 107K asking $13,997 (at a dealer so take 10% off ask price)
Autotrader 97 Boxster Serach 200mi St. College

JM2C and hope it helps. And as Mike said, stress the positive and fun factor!

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:44 AM   #10

why sell it all?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:59 AM   #11

Wonko,

I stand corrected

I did a quick check on AutoTrader. There are seven 1997 Boxsters for sale in the US with over 100k miles ranging in price from $12,000 to $16,735 ( average price $14,200 ).

I had my buddy check and see what they are going for at auction and he said about $11k.

I would say that $11,250 is a great price !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Blink should buy your car and 3.4 it. Give him a PM. Hed still be under 25 grand.
This is actually a really good idea, and the car could stay within the family.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
Track rat

Garage
The guys are right. It's not the price. Get the car to really shine and take AMAZING pictures (DJlomas style). Tell the story, sell the sizzle not the steak. These cars are all about fun. Make it fun. What do you love about this car. Share your maintenance history only when they ask. Post this new package with pictures on every cheap or free website. Craigslist, Cars.com, Recycler.com etc. Local newspaper on Sat. if reasonable.

The calendar is against you right now and most Porsche roadster buyers have gone into hibernation for the winter. Be patient and a buyer will come. If you cannot wait you can always trade it or wholesale it to Carmax. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #14

Thanks for all the great responses, guys! I should have asked this question in July when I posted it originally.. I just waxed it last weekend, so it's super shiny, I'll try to get out to do some "glamor" shots this weekend while the trees are still nice.

Nick - Thanks for doing all the checking around, I do feel better knowing that I'm asking a fair price.. I don't want anyone to get ripped off, but I also don't want to under-value my box...
Old 10-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #15

How else and where else -- are you advertising?

Mike
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #16

I have the car listed on cars.com, craisglist here and a few surrounding cities within a couple hours drive, obviously here and renntechs' classifieds. I had it on ebay twice, but it never got past $9,300..
Old 10-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #17

You may also want to consider having the front bumper repainted, even if it's inexpensively done. Regardless of the mileage and expected wear and tear, people generally don't want to read that the "new-to-them" Porsche they'll be buying has paint flaking off the front of it. A couple of hundred dollars invested in the paint could result in a better selling price and quicker sale.

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #18

1) your ad is stale.. you posted back in the summer.. 4 months ago? Folks have seen the car, again and again. Fresh pictures is a start. Re-working the ad-copy may work too.
2) locale -sure you are located on the "www", but someone still has to GET to PA to see the car
3) mileage... 100K+ miles is a hard sell for any boxster. A 2000 S with that mileage is a $15K car. for 4K more, I would swing for an S
4) buyer demographics - at $11k, you are up against "no money down" for a new car or a 7-9% car loan for a 17-22 year old. Someone in a position to pay cash for your car, is likely not attracted to a) mileage and b) "first year production" concerns, whether valid or not. PERCEPTION is more important to a buyer than reality.
The "other" buyer is one who is looking for a nice "base" for a race car.
5) As asked before - why sell? It would seem that at some price point, it is "cheaper" to keep the car than to sell it
6) Time of year.. cold weather is arriving. Heated seats? if not, that hurts too in a cooler climate. Might be better off taking it "off the road" and selling in the spring as "convertible" season comes into play

Just a few thoughts...
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #19

Im with the fella above. Take it off the market for winter, paint the bumper, and sell it for 14 as soon as the spring warm snaps start.

After staring at Boxsters for years on ebay, I bought mine one night after a few coctails on the beach durring the first days of warm weather.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #20
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I agree,
Fresh Pic's and a great description should help. People don't want to hear about your pile of receipts or how well it was maintained. They will get interested in that once there sold on buying. And they will get sold on buying it when you sell the image, of a Porsche. It sounds cheesy but it works, sell the Porsche image and top-down lifestyle, not the car.
If you can swing it financially I would just keep it as a weekend car, or make it into the ultimate track car.