Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2007, 06:57 AM   #1

Windshield Washer Leak

When my windshield washer is turned on, it just dumps fluid out through the wheel well. I'm guessing either the hose popped off the reservoir/pump or it split. Looks like I need to remove the wheel well cover to get to it. Are there any tricks to that?

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
No tricks really. Just jack the car up at the front driver's side wheel well area. This will give you enough room to pull back the wheel well liner, as the tire would be in the way if you don't jack up the car.

Then, remove one of the plastic nuts on the rear section of the wheel well, and 2 of the plastic rivets. This will allow you to pull back the wheel liner enough to see the rubber hose that connects to the nipple of the washer fluid tank. Reconnect the hose to the tank nipple, and then put a small hose clamp on it to prevent this from happening again.

I just did this 2 weeks ago, and the hose hasn't fallen off again. Good luck.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #3

Thanks, Boxtaboy - I thought I'd have to remove the wheel. Good tip on the hose clamp, too. I appreciate the help.

... and climbing.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #4

Smile Windshield Washer Leak

I had the same problem and this was a very easy fix!

One correction - there are two nuts to remove (one near top rear, and one at bottom rear of liner) and one rivet at bottom rear.

Another post suggested a tool made out of a kitchen fork for removing the rivet - I found this worked very good and the rivet was reusable. Pull the plunger out all the way with the fork and then the other piece.

When you pull the liner down, the hose flops out and leaks fluid.

Leaving the tire on does give you enough room - but the hose connection is still hard to see - I found you had to do this by touch. If I had to do this again I might take the tire off to get my head, hands and shop lite in there. I used a cable tie on the hose to make sure I don't have to do this job again.

The hardest part was trying to get the rivet to go back through the bracket.

If you can change your tire - then this repair is for you.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #5

I have a patent on the fork....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I have a patent on the fork....
Good one, Tool Pants - but be sure you don't put that particular tool in your back pocket. :dance:

Sean, thanks for your tips, too. I jumped into it before I saw your post and can confirm about the hose flopping down and leaking. It hit my trouble-light bulb which promptly exploded, bringing a little excitement to an otherwise easy repair.

... and climbing.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:34 PM   #7

Now I read about the zip tie or clamp.. I watched the tech at the dealer put on the hose after the first time it popped off during a customer tech day where you watch them go over your car. It popped again and I took the wheel off and plugged the hose back in myself.. first window wash it pops off again.. so I bought a hose clamp.

Slow learner I guess
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor
Now I read about the zip tie or clamp.. I watched the tech at the dealer put on the hose after the first time it popped off during a customer tech day where you watch them go over your car. It popped again and I took the wheel off and plugged the hose back in myself.. first window wash it pops off again.. so I bought a hose clamp.

Slow learner I guess
Agreed. Zip tie is not really gonna hold as well as the metal hose clamp. I actually had a plastic zip tie on first, but then being OCD, decided to install a hose clamp later on. When I went back to put the hose clamp on, I tugged at the hose just to see how well the zip tie was holding down the hose, and it came off pretty easily with a modest tug. The metal hose clamp will keep that hose on tight, so if there is any failure in the system in the future, it won't be in that area in the wheel well, and at least you won't have to pull the wheel liner back again.

IMHO, do it right the first time, and install the hose clamp.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #9

I just completed this mini-project on my 2000 S. Very helpful instructions here. While some of the above description may not make immediate sense, it really is pretty straight forward once you are in the wheel well.

Remove the driver's side front wheel and view the side of the wheel well that is under the washer pump. Remove the two nylon nuts and one plastic rivet, gently bend the wheel liner back (needs some amout of force to pop out) and the hose and the fitting for the hose will be in plain view.

For the plastic rivet, I didn't use the fork method but did use two small flat head screwdrivers to gently pry up the center stud of the rivet. Once the stud was out, the remaining part pried up easily.

I used the recommended hose clamp method to secure the hose on the barb fitting. I needed a stubby screwdriver to tighten the hose clamp as space is tight up in there.

By the time I was washing my hands, I realized what a neat picture it would have been to post the hose laying in the well and the barb it attaches to. With any hope at all, I won't be back in there again anytime soon. The next person to do this fix - bring your camera!

Rich F
No VA
2000 Boxster S Speedster in Speed Yellow

Last edited by turbo23dog; 10-26-2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: added sig
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo23dog
I just completed this mini-project on my 2000 S. Very helpful instructions here. While some of the above description may not make immediate sense, it really is pretty straight forward once you are in the wheel well.

Remove the driver's side front wheel and view the side of the wheel well that is under the washer pump. Remove the two nylon nuts and one plastic rivet, gently bend the wheel liner back (needs some amout of force to pop out) and the hose and the fitting for the hose will be in plain view.

For the plastic rivet, I didn't use the fork method but did use two small flat head screwdrivers to gently pry up the center stud of the rivet. Once the stud was out, the remaining part pried up easily.

I used the recommended hose clamp method to secure the hose on the barb fitting. I needed a stubby screwdriver to tighten the hose clamp as space is tight up in there.

By the time I was washing my hands, I realized what a neat picture it would have been to post the hose laying in the well and the barb it attaches to. With any hope at all, I won't be back in there again anytime soon. The next person to do this fix - bring your camera!

Rich F
No VA
2000 Boxster S Speedster in Speed Yellow
Little trick if you don't have a stubby screw driver handy- just use a small rachet and socket to tighten the hose clamp. If you look at the hose clamp, you'll notice that they tighten by screwdriver or a socket method. The socket method, IMO, is easier in tight spaces. Glad you got it done.