Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee
I am sitting in a coffee shop in Covington on a beautiful sunny day, temps in the mid 70s and just loving life. Me and my sucky Boxster are having an awesome day (haha) and about to watch LSU game with some friends. So, just goes to show you just how amazing life can be even when you have to settle for and love a car that just plain sucks.

HAHAHA!

Thanks for the support...

GEAUX TIGERS

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Old 10-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Just tell the kid his Schwinn sucks,they your even.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #23

I think there is a south LA, thrill in the air. I got a wave from a female cop early this morning on 190 between covington and Mandeville for the first time in the history of the boxster. If you are familiar with the area, you know the speed trap right on the other side of the bridge, where you couldn't see them until it's too late. Normally they give the "you got lucky this time" look, but this morning, she approved of my top down fly-by in the best weather we have had all year.

Were either of you at the strip mall near Starbucks, Kmart, and Lighting Inc. today? It is rare to see a modified boxster in Louisiana and there was one with a new bumper and new tails.

Anyway Meerzee, your boxster doesn't suck. Though, the kid will probably be driving that v12 s600 and it makes me jealous, that doesn't suck either.

..... and by the way, it's ROLL TIDE for me.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #24

Hang in there...while it's easy to blame parents for everything (this might be in fact the case)...the kid was just trying to get a rise out of you (true, he may be spoiled, but maybe not)

He knew he wouldn't get smacked for saying it, and I don't know what the follow-up with your sister was. He probably "had" to go outside and look at your new car instead of playing Halo 3 with his friends online and he was pizzed about it.

Uncalled for, yes...I'm not "standing up" for today's generation...but, this sort of behavior has been going on for centuries.

Hopefully, he will grow out of it...it just "hit close to home" because it's your new pride and joy, and you've worked hard for it. Remember not to take too much stock in what an 11 yo says, they're practicing up for being a teenager.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/2004_986.jpg
Old 10-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #25
bmussatti

I don't really think there are bad kids in this world...just bad parents. And both parents need to be on the same page regarding values, discipline...and etc.

I don't really care what other people think or say about my car, either. I bought it for me, it's mine, I love it...and that all that really matters to me.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #26

Bill, I must disagree with you.

I know some wonderful parents who work very, very hard to discipline their child in a balanced way and teach them good manners and also have a lot of fun with them...

... and the kids are still little (or medium-sized) monsters.

Our society is so child-centric today that kids can't get away from the culture, even if they're home-schooled and don't have a TV. If they have friends, they're going to be sucked into the mindset and lifestyle of entitlement.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #27
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Bill, I must disagree with you.

I know some wonderful parents who work very, very hard to discipline their child in a balanced way and teach them good manners and also have a lot of fun with them...

... and the kids are still little (or medium-sized) monsters.

Our society is so child-centric today that kids can't get away from the culture, even if they're home-schooled and don't have a TV. If they have friends, they're going to be sucked into the mindset and lifestyle of entitlement.
Then I would suggest they need better friends. Don't forget Randall, you might only "see" the parents a few hours per week...the kids are with the parents many more times that.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
I think there is a south LA, thrill in the air. I got a wave from a female cop early this morning on 190 between covington and Mandeville for the first time in the history of the boxster. If you are familiar with the area, you know the speed trap right on the other side of the bridge, where you couldn't see them until it's too late. Normally they give the "you got lucky this time" look, but this morning, she approved of my top down fly-by in the best weather we have had all year.

Were either of you at the strip mall near Starbucks, Kmart, and Lighting Inc. today? It is rare to see a modified boxster in Louisiana and there was one with a new bumper and new tails.

Anyway Meerzee, your boxster doesn't suck. Though, the kid will probably be driving that v12 s600 and it makes me jealous, that doesn't suck either.

..... and by the way, it's ROLL TIDE for me.

I wasn't around there today, Max....I did see a modified red Boxster in Metairie at a bank at the intersection of Transcontinental and West Esplanade....and I was in Folsom (wasting time driving the curves of Million Dollar Road!) and I saw a couple cops and they were pretty friendly today I must say......it was a great day to be out and about....I did pass a yellow S2000 on Million Dollar Road and is it just me or do I see a ton of those SKY/SOLSTICE running around....but no Boxsters around Mandeville, I was surprised.

Max, are there ever any events around the area for getting together, working on the cars, or just taking a drive? Feel good that at least Gary from BR and few others would be up for a nice Boxster fun/work day sometime. In any case, thanks again and keep in touch.

Thanks for all of the support ---- I don't know who to blame what on anymore, but kids are kids. However, in this case I can assure everyone that it is INDEED the parent's negative influence, attitude and airs of entitlement just lviing out through their children. I grimace each time I think about these kids in just about 5 years..... holy terrors x 1000 :troll:

Oh well, not my issue right? HAHA
Old 10-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
GEAUX TIGERS

SIMPLY SHOCKED....
Old 10-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #30

If my rich nephew said that to me, I'd surprise him with a remote controlled boxster for Christmas. Make every Birthday/Gift event a boxster event.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Then I would suggest they need better friends. Don't forget Randall, you might only "see" the parents a few hours per week...the kids are with the parents many more times that.
Point well taken. One doesn't see the parent in action 24/7/365, that's for sure!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Max, are there ever any events around the area for getting together, working on the cars, or just taking a drive? Feel good that at least Gary from BR and few others would be up for a nice Boxster fun/work day sometime. In any case, thanks again and keep in touch.
I never hear of anything around here. I was over at Benson staring at the Caymans the other day and a guy said to join the PCA, they have many events including track days. I don't think I am interested in that- it seems too formal. I would like to get together with you local 986 fellas though. I think the three of us all have black cars. It would make for an interesting run.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:48 AM   #33
bmussatti

Quote:
Thanks for all of the support ---- I don't know who to blame what on anymore, but kids are kids. However, in this case I can assure everyone that it is INDEED the parent's negative influence, attitude and airs of entitlement just lviing out through their children. I grimace each time I think about these kids in just about 5 years..... holy terrors x 1000 :troll:

Meerzee, maybe you can help mentor the young boy, and be the "good uncle". You might be his only hope. You can set a better example than his father does.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:54 AM   #34
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Point well taken. One doesn't see the parent in action 24/7/365, that's for sure!
Randall, I understand your point too. You are right that there are just some rotten kids. Not all the blame should go to the parents, but a BIG chunk should.

I am not the perfect parent either, I am learning each & every day. It is a lot of work and has great rewards and challenges.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:31 AM   #35

Yeah, Max....3 black Boxsters running would be very cool indeed, even though mine is basically stock compared to you 2 mod maniacs. The only mods I have made thus far is replacing the stock shifter with a 6-speed 996 (looks awesome and believe it or not seems to shift smoother) & set of Ultimate Pedals (should get those on Monday) with the drilled and rubber peg look with "Boxster S" script on em. A weekend run/work/dinner weekend combo would be a blast so please me if interested in setting up : meerzee at gmail dot com.

(MAX/GARY --- let's chat!)

But my stock 18" light alloys look pretty darn good, even though I would love a blacked-out set of 5-spokes with red pinstripes....(just think those would POP!)

As far as the kid, I LOVE THE IDEA ABOUT THE "EVERY EVENT IS A BOXSTER EVENT" (I am already known as the sarcastic one anyway, what could be better!)
Time for some Christmas Boxster fun.......Perhaps wrapping paper made with photos of my Boxster? HAHAHA

Parents to blame? I don't know anymore. Hard-working, ambitious and good natured, father who just enjoys really nice cars --- no problem there, coupled with just a lack of teaching proper morals and character. I think the real problem today is that the focus is so child-centric; this activity, that activity, this event, that event, comparisons, and the real culprit -- placing too much importance on things and not people, not relationships, not fun, just how much does this cost vs. what we own.....Put em out in a field on a tractor and get them to volunteer and contribute to their community, make them good citizens, kids with character.

yes, is the society partly to blame, sure. The parents do have 90% of the influence and control IMHO. (that graph may vary as children get farther along in their teenage years)

Old 10-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #36

Michael Dell could drive anything - and he drives a sucky Boxster

http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/toptens/billionaire2006/01-billionaires.html
Old 10-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #37

Did he probably pick ip boxster bashing from his dad or mom? I would say so. Compared to gallardos, AMG SLs, and other sports cars above 100K, I would say our cars suck just a little

But who knows - maybe his dad had a boxster and suffered IMS failure. If so, then "boxsters suck" is a legitmate comment from a pissed off customer. Maybe all that family cares about are 0-60 times - in which case a boxster is not too hot on the accelerate-to-price ratio. Lets remember, there are a lot of things out there that make our cars much less than spectacular
Old 10-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #38

Garage
On a recent trip home, my nieces and nephew asked me drop them off at school (one at a time) in my 986, they loved showing off in front of their friends. They're good kids being raised to appreciate hard work and the rewards that can come from it. Obviously, I could care less about the opinion of an 11-year old, he's just a speaker echoing what has been taught to him. Tip of the iceberg I'm afraid.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
Old 10-14-2007, 11:10 AM   #39

It's funny how people who have never driven a car, or especially a kid who has presumably never driven ANY CAR, can hold such strong reservations about them.

Don't worry about it. It's not about $$ in this case; it's about total ignorance.

And you know it trickled down from the parents....
Old 10-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to [z0ne] Send a message via MSN to [z0ne]
Backhand his teeth out of his mouth.
Take him for a drive on some windy road.
Make him clean his blood off of your leather.

That'll teach him.

If he whines, tell him z0ne says stfu.

Closed Thread